NHL jerseys with names but no name plates?

shilenj

I heard of this forum from a friend who said there was some good jersey advice here and I need a little help from people who know NHL jerseys so here's my situation:

I just bought and received an old Rob Blake Avalanche third jersey (the burgundy one, first introduced in 01-02) off of eBay. The jersey is a Koho with the "A" on it, made in Canada, licensed with the NHL shield on the tags and sewn to the bottom rim near the waist in the back. It's a beauty really. All letters and numbers are sewn and glacier twill is used. Even has the fight strap. The only thing is, it doesn't have a name plate; the name "Blake" is sewn directly to the jersey.

Is this normal, or should I perhaps look to get it fixed? Does anyone else own a Colorado Avalanche jersey that has a name but no name plate? Of the research I've done online, all the other pictures I can find of jerseys of that time have the curved name plate with the name sewn onto that. However, mine doesn't and it worries me. Anyway, any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty sure the Avs have always used nameplates, but I'm sure Burnaby Joe will have a definitive answer. Also, pictures are always good. Not that they'll really help answer your question, I just like looking at jerseys :thumbsup:

They did. Sometimes customizers just get lazy though. In addition to that, it might have to do with the color of the jersey itself. They may not have had that shade of burgundy in the air-knit for the plate so they just went right to the jersey. Howeever, it's nothing that can't be fixed so that's good news.

Jay, Burnaby Joe, is the Avs expert. He will definitely help you

From my understanding, there should be a nameplate and I don't think glacier twill was used on the thirds.

I have heard Jay is really good with the Avs stuff and I saw his collection and it's fantastic. If I have to get it fixed, I wonder if I'd be able to send it in somewhere. I've heard Denver Athletic is one of the only places that does Avs jerseys correct but that's what I've heard, I can't confirm.

Thanks for thinking of me guys. Mike is right. Nameplates have always been worn on any style Avalanche jersey. This is what your jersey should look like Joe.

JoeSakicKohoAlternatenameplate.jpg

CharlieStephens2003-2004GameWornAlternatenameplate.jpg

StephaneYelle01-02Alternatenameplate.jpg

ForsbergKohoAlternatenameplate.jpg

It's a fairly simple fix. You, or someone with some experience, can take off the letters on your Blake and then you can have Denver Athletic, or who ever you'd like to go with, create you a new nameplate. The letters on the alternates have always been straight twill, not the glacier twill found on the burgundy and white versions of the Avalanche jerseys.

Does that help? Welcome to the boards and thank you for getting in touch with me on Twitter as well. Always happy to help with Avs jersey questions any time!

Thanks for thinking of me guys. Mike is right. Nameplates have always been worn on any style Avalanche jersey. This is what your jersey should look like Joe.

JoeSakicKohoAlternatenameplate.jpg

CharlieStephens2003-2004GameWornAlternatenameplate.jpg

StephaneYelle01-02Alternatenameplate.jpg

ForsbergKohoAlternatenameplate.jpg

It's a fairly simple fix. You, or someone with some experience, can take off the letters on your Blake and then you can have Denver Athletic, or who ever you'd like to go with, create you a new nameplate. The letters on the alternates have always been straight twill, not the glacier twill found on the burgundy and white versions of the Avalanche jerseys.

Does that help? Welcome to the boards and thank you for getting in touch with me on Twitter as well. Always happy to help with Avs jersey questions any time!

It does help! Thank you for clarifying. So you suggest I have the letters, numbers, and "A" patch all taken off, then send it in to Denver Athletic? I'm from Buffalo, New York (I'm a Sabres fan) but I collect all team jerseys and bought this since I love Blake and it looked nice. Does Denver Athletic accept customers cross-country? If I get it fixed, I'd like to have it fixed the correct way and I've heard nothing but good about Denver Athletic.