Another reason to dislike Reebok

OR68

Ugh I know, if it weren't for retarded blackout rules I would drop my cable package down to basic and get center ice but then I'd miss all the versus (playoff) games :facepalm:

Foreverrrrrr just like versus/nbc (for those of us in the US)

Pierre McGuire = disgusting black jerseys.

Makes sense! :lol:

"As part of its new five-year agreement with the National Hockey League Players’ Association, Reebok will continue to have exclusive rights to make jersey replica “name and number” T-shirts, as well as T-shirts that contain full team rosters. The new contract will start on July 1 and expire in 2016. Reebok has a separate agreement, which is also scheduled to expire in 2016, with the National Hockey League to make hockey jerseys."

Read more: Reebok inks a new contract for hockey clothing, but also gets some competition - Canton, MA - Canton Journal http://www.wickedlocal.com/canton/archive/x532925981/Reebok-inks-a-new-contract-for-hockey-clothing-but-also-gets-some-competition#ixzz1Zju4vV7c

PLEASE NHL, after Reebok go with Nike/SP/BAUER .. anyone that has made decent hockey jerseys...

personally one of the many reasons im totally not interested in newer hockey jerseys at all is the basic boring colors and designs they use. I mean NHL and AHL jerseys are almost all the same at this point.Atleast the ECHL still has some cool colors and designs.

Though im willing to put money on it that in the future we see fully sublimated jerseys with corporate sponsors...

Reebok is aware of the heavy jersey counterfeiting thats going on. But it seems as though they do almost nothing to address it. Whether its charging more affordable prices for a few peices of material(jerseys) and/or clearly having ways to tell their products from the Chinese fakes.

Make replicas 100 bucks and authentics 200 bucks.Put a little hologram inside the jersey and certificate or something that proves its real.

personally one of the many reasons im totally not interested in newer hockey jerseys at all is the basic boring colors and designs they use. I mean NHL and AHL jerseys are almost all the same at this point.Atleast the ECHL still has some cool colors and designs.

Can we really blame reebok for this?

They make the CHL jerseys in edge designs and they are colorful, they make a decent bit of the ECHL in non-edge designs and are colorful.

I'm just saying that I wonder if the NHL isn't partly to blame if other lesser leagues can still have colorful and imaginitive designs. You would think the big guy would get the better choices but I suppose if those JRs and such are a PITA but low quantity that they put up with it...who knows.

You all are also forgetting that we are a minority in the sporting world. It is evident by the massive amount of counterfeit sweaters found seen at each game. People just don't care about legitimacy or frankly in many cases what they look like. As long as it is the team colors and costs $35-50 it works. The smaller portion of hockey fans find artistic quality in the design as opposed to the mass that could care less about what their team is wearing. Reebok is just making it easier on themselves by pigeonholeing the design specifications. I personally think the 3rd jersey program is dying in terms of creativity as well. The sabers third this year was pretty good but many are just the old circle. Blah

I hate the Edge jerseys, despite every team having their own colours and logos etc, I feel like you can't distinguish the Edge jerseys. I really miss the days when team jerseys had its own identity. There's a reason why Reebok lost the NFL licence, next year, it's all Nike for the NFL and as far as jerseys go, I can't wait!.

So if it's "all Nike for the NFL" how will the problem change? Nike will just tell them what they have for options and make them pick from it. Just like they did with the olympic hockey jerseys in 2002. THey had the exclusive right and all of the jerseys were the same pattern and style with different crests and colors.

The only real way to change is to let the TEAMS make their own contracts with their own jersey manufactures. Then see how quickly things change.

Also, I have to agree with what was posted earlier. The group that hangs out on this forum is like 1/2 of 1 percent of hockey fans in the world. Most people could no more tell a real from a fake jersey than the difference between the airplanes flying above them in the sky. THey don't care as long as it has their team crest on the front.

As to the blackout jerseys: This is an evermore popular fan night in all sports across the U.S. They have a blackout night and everybody wears black. This is clearly the start of that concept for hockey. I'll bet that whether the purists on this site like the jerseys or hate them, I bet they sell a boatload of them. They are trendy and very eye grabbing to the general public. They will be worn by people that would NEVER wear a regular jerysey. So Reebok has done what they set out to do which is increase sales.

My 2 cents worth.

So if it's "all Nike for the NFL" how will the problem change? Nike will just tell them what they have for options and make them pick from it. Just like they did with the olympic hockey jerseys in 2002. THey had the exclusive right and all of the jerseys were the same pattern and style with different crests and colors.

not to nitpick, but what 2 countries even had the same design for the 02 olympics?

from what ive seen, Nike has always had innovative materials and designs in every sport theyve been apart of.

not to nitpick, but what 2 countries even had the same design for the 02 olympics?

from what ive seen, Nike has always had innovative materials and designs in every sport theyve been apart of.

I could be totally wrong, but in looking at my USA and Russia jerseys from the 02 olympics, they are the same overall body design, i.e. shape and cut. They are just as similar as my edge 1.0 flames and penguins jerseys. They have different patterns (body panels) and different colors and striping, but the overall size and shape is identical (same neck line, waist and cuffs). So my point is that the edge system is no different than nike was in 02. THey let the countries pick the patterns and colors and striping combos, then sewed them up into the same sized and overall body type uniform. Just like the edge jerseys. Everybody on here hates the diaper cut on the the edge jerseys, when I put my USA and RUSSIA jerseys on top of each other, you can't see any difference between the overall dimensions.

So again my point is....If the same manufacturer makes the ALL the jerseys, then they will all have the overall same cut and style. If you get to pick from different sources, than you could pick the diaper cut, or a straight cut or anything else you can get them to design for you.

Nike is as innovative as the league allows them to be. In college where each team owns it's own rights and can make the uniforms however they want you see all kinds of crazy things. i.e. The Oregon Ducks. The are the hometown Nike billboards. So it's possible to do whatever you want. The problem is that the professional leagues want to take the control away from teams and keep the ideas AND MONEY for the leagues and NOT the teams. It's a covert profit sharing system.

Addidas, Reebok, PUMA , NIKE , Majestic or anybody else for that matter COULD make the coolest Hockey jersey ever seen. All they have to do is sew what the team tells them too. They take a really cool design from the team, load it into a computer and in 5 minutes, you have a really cool jersey custom made in China. They black market has proved that's possible. And they can use as nice or crappy material as you want to pay for. THis is ALL about control from the NHL.

OK, my rant is over. Sorry for that. I've been collecting Soccer jerseys with my son as well, and this is only a problem in the U.S. as all of the European teams control their own jersey's, hell, some teams MAKE their own jersey's now and really make a killing.

Edited by fireparamed

+1

I was willing to give Reebok a pass on the 1.0's because technically the teams did use them but if the speculation with the new jerseys is true then I don't know how Reebok is allowed to call them authentic on ice jerseys.

All the more reason I'm extremely happy I was able to get my hands on a Red Wings Edge 2.0 for less than they sell the 1.0's at retail. Cheaper, and more authentic than you can get in stores? Yes please.