God bless them for trying, they really do ... but just have no clue

HawksFanInDC

To lighten the mood in anticipation of the weekend I figured I would throw an off the wall topic out there. Being jersey guys I am quite certain we have all had a situation where family or friends got us a jersey with the best of intentions, only to realize when opening it that it was a terrible fake.

My own experience goes back to the day before game one of the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals. My birthday is in mid-may and my older brother asked me before if I had a Duncan Keith jersey. I said no, but was planning on it and he told me not to bother as he got me an authentic home one for my bday. I was presented with it the day before game one to wear the next night and had to unfortunately tell him that I would be wearing one of my other jerseys as it was fake. He protested that it had the fight strap, "A", everything, but I most definately knew better.

What I was presented with was one of these guys, to this day I hold onto it to be nice to my brother (in a box somewhere), but am once again thinking of getting a real Keith.

Not for me, thank god, but my older sister bought my brother a fake Malkin for Christmas 2009. And this was after I had showed my mom Ice Jerseys and explained what great work they do and how efficient they are. My sister, like HawksFanInDC's brother, insisted the jersey was authentic and said how cheap it was. Watching my brother open the jersey and keeping my knowledge to myself was extremely difficult.

If I want a jersey, I ask for the money towards it. It's clear my family is just ignorant no matter how much I try to educate them. And my friends are no better. I've told them all about fake jerseys and they still are like oh I bought this jersey and it's totally authentic and it was cheap blah blah blah. Sigh...oh well, at least I try!

My family won't buy me jerseys because of how picky I am and they just don't know what I have or currently want at this point.

Mine is that way too. They just give me cash on most occasions to buy one.

After the experience with my bro I just ask him to get me gift certificates. My mom is cool though, she asked what I wanted for Christmas and I told her about two great jerseys, a hawks authentic Winter Classic and an old red, white and blue Capitals ccm air knit. She was going to buy them but I explained they needed to be customized she was cool with me doing that and then reimbursing me, so long as I brought them home so she could wrap them on Christmas.

My main problem is my dad. He tried to get me an authentic from the Hawks website and I had to esplain that their customization was garbage. He has trouble believing a place like TTS does it properly while the Hawks do not, not realizing they just go to outside sources for customization as well.

My family is broke, so I'll never have to worry about them buying me a jersey and if they ever want to, I'll just take the cash for it and buy it myself like I normally do with anything for my birthday (which is actually in less than a month, so I might add something to my closet) or Christmas.

What's really going to be funny as hell is when I start school in two weeks, and I get to look around at all the tools wearing their fake baseball and football jerseys and talking about how they're authentic and cheap and blah blah blah and I'm sitting next to them rocking legit authentics.