Penguins Recycled Jersey Question Year or Years?

classichockeyjerseys

Hi,

I have a CCM Penguins jersey.The jersey has a small white block CCM with a NHL shield.I have heard jerseys were recycled in years past and I've gotten different answers on what year my jersey is from but still trying to get an exact year or years.If anyone could help me,I would greatly appreciate it.I have uploaded a picture of the back of the CCM tag with the NHL shield.

I have also seen a Mogilny jersey like mine but still can't figure out what year it's from.

It's a 1989-90 that had the shield embroidered in after the calendar year passed. All the jerseys had the shield added to them at the beginning of 1990 and that included retails ones too. Some were just leftover 1980's jerseys that had it added after the fact just for aesthetics.

Hi,

I have a CCM Penguins jersey.The jersey has a small white block CCM with a NHL shield.I have heard jerseys were recycled in years past and I've gotten different answers on what year my jersey is from but still trying to get an exact year or years.If anyone could help me,I would greatly appreciate it.I have uploaded a picture of the back of the CCM tag with the NHL shield.

I have also seen a Mogilny jersey like mine but still can't figure out what year it's from.

Andrew, I've told you a million times...what gives??

Hi,

It's clearly garbage.

Can I have it? :thumbsup:

The jersey is now on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/290594232101

The seller of this jersey was informed that all of the lettering on this jersey is wrong and the NHL shield has been erroneously added before the auction started.

Garbage might not be far from actuality.

Here are galleries from my website that show what the lettering on 1988-89 and 1989-90 jerseys look like.

1988-89 Pittsburgh Penguins Game Worn Jerseys

1989-90 Pittsburgh Penguins Game Worn Jerseys

Happy collecting!

Casey Samuelson

Owner / Webmaster

PenguinsChronicles.com - The History of the Pittsburgh Penguins

The seller of this jersey was informed that all of the lettering on this jersey is wrong and the NHL shield has been erroneously added before the auction started.

Casey Samuelson

Owner / Webmaster

Casey - as previously noted, there are several jerseys out there that were recycled, and NHL shields were added after the fact, most used for pre-season leading up to '92 (from what I've seen) like this Islanders here -

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item27bd045abb

It probably wasn't added erroneously, but because Mario wasn't changing jerseys as often as a lot of other guys, he probably never sported a recycled one.

BTW, I love the website, http://www.penguinschronicles.com is great!!!

Andrew -

"...I've taken very good care of it, hanging it in my closet in a non-smoking home for these years."

These years? Andrew, you bought this blank a few months ago :noway:

Andrew -

"...I've taken very good care of it, hanging it in my closet in a non-smoking home for these years."

Doesn't surprise me.

slimcutta,

Thanks for the compliment on the website. I wish I had more time to work on it...it's always a work in progress.

I seriously doubt that the NHL logo was added by the team in the case of this Penguins jersey, or that it was ever "recycled." Lemieux wore a size 54 at this time. This is a size 48. Lemieux wore a large block CCM logo jersey with no NHL shield embroidered on the back hem and the gold toe Penguin crest as late as the 1991 Wales Conference Finals as evidenced by this jersey that I authenticated and sold a few years ago:

source_356_66951.jpg

Given light of the seller getting this one lettered recently, yet stating it has been hanging in his closet for years leads me to believe that the NHL shield was erroneously added by a collector that didn't know any better or thought no one else would know the difference.

Happy collecting!

Casey Samuelson

Owner / Webmaster

Oh, there's no way it's a game jersey. It's just a blank pro jersey that was customized with Mario. Odds are, it was just an overstock jersey leftover from that particular era of CCM logo and it ended up having the shield embroidered on to be up-to-date with the 1990 standards that all teams have it on the hem. I've seen it before on Maple Leafs and even Canadiens jerseys. It's rare but it definitely did happen.

That said though, there has been at least one instance where this look did get through to a game-worn jersey. Alexander Mogilny's rookie road jersey with the Sabres is an example of this.

Andrew -

These years? Andrew, you bought this blank a few months ago

What a tool.

Oh, there's no way it's a game jersey. It's just a blank pro jersey that was customized with Mario. Odds are, it was just an overstock jersey leftover from that particular era of CCM logo and it ended up having the shield embroidered on to be up-to-date with the 1990 standards that all teams have it on the hem. I've seen it before on Maple Leafs and even Canadiens jerseys. It's rare but it definitely did happen.

That said though, there has been at least one instance where this look did get through to a game-worn jersey. Alexander Mogilny's rookie road jersey with the Sabres is an example of this.

This is all I was saying...

Mike, you are my Rosetta Stone!

Casey - as previously noted, there are several jerseys out there that were recycled, and NHL shields were added after the fact, most used for pre-season leading up to '92 (from what I've seen) like this Islanders here -

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item27bd045abb

It probably wasn't added erroneously, but because Mario wasn't changing jerseys as often as a lot of other guys, he probably never sported a recycled one.

BTW, I love the website, http://www.penguinschronicles.com is great!!!

Andrew -

Yeah, he beat me out for it.......the guy he bought it from was local to me......

Yes....i've seen that as well as I bought an 89-90 Sabres road jersey for my cousin to make a Mogilny rookie.

I even sacrificed an NHL shield so we can get it sewn on the hem to match the gamer....