Authentic jersey vs Replica jersey

Easto

My wife is on the hunt to help me find a Mario Lemieux jersey to get signed. I was really hoping to get an authentic jersey signed, but realized it is going to cost me $700 or so to get a jersey if I can find one.

She went to a Sports Store in the mall here and they told her that they are getting that jersey in October and selling it for $219.00 The guy at the store told her its authentic like the ones they wore on the ice.

From my limited knowledge about jerseys I'm 90% sure they are getting in replicas and not authentic jerseys based solely on the price.

My wife is asking me how to tell the difference between an authentic and a replica and I don't know how to answer that question.

Can someone give me a good run down on the difference between an authentic and a replica

My wife is on the hunt to help me find a Mario Lemieux jersey to get signed. I was really hoping to get an authentic jersey signed, but realized it is going to cost me $700 or so to get a jersey if I can find one.

She went to a Sports Store in the mall here and they told her that they are getting that jersey in October and selling it for $219.00 The guy at the store told her its authentic like the ones they wore on the ice.

From my limited knowledge about jerseys I'm 90% sure they are getting in replicas and not authentic jerseys based solely on the price.

My wife is asking me how to tell the difference between an authentic and a replica and I don't know how to answer that question.

Can someone give me a good run down on the difference between an authentic and a replica

Well for starters an authentic jersey is in numerical sizing (ex. 52, 54, 56, etc) while replicas are in letter sizing (small, medium, large). Authentics come with fight straps while replicas dont. And depending on what make of jersey you are looking to get, the authentics are made with a stronger and heavier material. This is more so with the most recent jerseys.

Plus an authentic jersey wont cost $700. Keep your eyes open on ebay and you may find a Lemiuex customized authentic for less than the $219.00. What jersey are you specifically looking for

But be careful about buying a fake jersey. If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is. Any time if you are unsure about the legitimacy of a jersey, post a link to it in the "Is it good or not?" thread and people here will be able to tell you if it is real or not

The info in that link, while accurate is a bit lengthy, here's the 3 easiest things to look for ...

Sizing: Most authentic jerseys use numeric sizing (54, 52-R, 58G) instead of alpha sizing (S, M, L, XL) that is found on replicas.

Fight Strap: Most authentic jerseys feature a fight strap attached to the back inside of the jersey, a loop with velcro and a button snap. Replicas do not have fight straps.

Double Elbows: Most authentic jerseys have reinforced "double" elbows, replicas normally do not.

The biggest difference between a replica and an authentic is that authentics have fight straps, replicas don't. A replica will also have the manufacturer's logo on the sleeve as well as the back. For Reebok jerseys, the vector on the back of the neck will be a patch on an authentic, whereas a replica will have an embroidered vector on the back of the neck (and on the sleeve) - Tip: If you see a Reebok jersey with a fight strap AND an embroidered vector on the back of the neck, it's a fake.

You can probably find some good deals on blank authentics on eBay and then get them customized. This looks legit to me: http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTHENTIC-PITTSBURGH-PENGUINS-CCM-JERSEY-NEW-W-TAGS-52-/110717728441?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item19c74a76b9#ht_500wt_1413

And if I remember right, Mario wore that style in his final season. This one isn't a steal by any means, but it's still cheaper than what a customized Mario authentic would go for and you could just send it out to get lettered. http://cgi.ebay.com/PITTSBURGH-PENGUINS-92-96-AUTHENTIC-CCM-AWAY-JERSEY-52-/400200660811?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item5d2dd1774b#ht_500wt_1413

Ask the guy if the nameplate is made of twill!

If he says yes RUN!!! don't buy anything from him.

Nameplates are normaly never twill unless your a Freak-team like Philly. Bunch of Freaks in Philly let me tell you! twill nameplates... pfffft...

Well for starters an authentic jersey is in numerical sizing (ex. 52, 54, 56, etc) while replicas are in letter sizing (small, medium, large). Authentics come with fight straps while replicas dont. And depending on what make of jersey you are looking to get, the authentics are made with a stronger and heavier material. This is more so with the most recent jerseys.

Plus an authentic jersey wont cost $700. Keep your eyes open on ebay and you may find a Lemiuex customized authentic for less than the $219.00. What jersey are you specifically looking for

But be careful about buying a fake jersey. If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is. Any time if you are unsure about the legitimacy of a jersey, post a link to it in the "Is it good or not?" thread and people here will be able to tell you if it is real or not

I am looking for a early 1990's jersey - Lemieux - from the years they won the Cup.

I think one of the easiest ways to tell just from a slight glance if they are fakes is by the number material. Authentic lettering lays flat and very rarely wrinkles. It may get a slight crease but customization on fakes is made with cheap materials and wrinkles, creases and bubbles up easily. Here is another thread http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?showtopic=2412 which has great photos of a fake Hawks jersey, and what you whould be on the lookout for regarding fake lettering/numbering.

Obviously real Hawks heads are chain stitched and it is easy to tell the difference from the fakes, not sure about the crests on Pens ones though.

I am looking for a early 1990's jersey - Lemieux - from the years they won the Cup.

Aren't we all? :) That's a tall order believe it or not.

I thought the same thing when I started collecting jersey. You know, it's a VERY popular jersey and cup year. Lemieux was epic, so you would figure there would be lots of jersey around from that era but it's just not so.

I think the fact it was such a popular cup year is actually the reason why the jerseys are all dried up and have such a large resale value.

You can resell the thing in a heart beat. More so then almost any Gretzky jersey IMO.

Here is what I mean.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTHENTIC-LEMIEUX-90S-PENGUINS-JERSEY-MASKA-Patches-/330591228390?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item4cf8c5d1e6

Edited by Thelonious Sphere Monk

I think for the time being I would be happy with a legit replica for under $200

If you're willing to spend the $200, I still think the 1991 Cup jersey from Locker Room Sports is the best bet. The lettering seems accurate, you get your choice of sizes, and it has the Stanley Cup patch already on it. It IS expensive, though. The one from Dinglebears you asked about looks legit and has a great price, but you would need to add the patch (or patches, if you want the 1992 jersey), and the nameplate lettering is too large, it's from a few seasons before the Cup-winning years. I guess it all depends on how long you want to wait for the best deal to come along, and how much of a stickler for detail you are. :)