Looking for early 90's Mario Lemieux

Easto

I have a friend that is able to get a jersey autographed by Mario Lemieux for me. The problem is that I don't have a Lemieux jersey, however I want to get one of the early 90's jersey they wore when they won the Cup.

What are things that I need to consider when buying a jersey to get autographed? I don't plan on selling it, but I assume an authentic jersey (couple hundred $$) would be best. I just don't want to buy a cheap Asian knock off.

Are you guys able to point me in the right direction.

Where should I be looking to purchase a jersey they I can get signed and hang in my house (and not be embarrassed over a cheap knock off jersey) ?

What do you think about this jersey?

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sports-bikes-Mario-Lemieux-Official-NHL-Jersey-Pittsburgh-Penguins-W0QQAdIdZ292547415

(Can a MOD edit the title for me, please)

You looking for one of the most rare and most popular style of Lemieux jerseys of all time!

I yet myself have yet to find one. You will be looking at around $200+ blank around. The Stanley Cup patch that goes on it is also the one of the most rare and hard to find patches in the hobby also. Not to mention finding one with the correct Badger badge. It almost an impossible to find the patches sealed NIB.

I would want $400 min for a complete jersey. I seen a few on ebay for go around $600-$900 complete jersey.

Also the Kijiji add is a fake. All authentic have NUMBERED SIZES(52) not lettered (XL). Plus he says he has MANY?!?! wow that's like saying I have many Gretzky Rookie cards.

Good Hunting. Ill trade you a third of my collection if you find it.

Also the Kijiji add is a fake. All authentic have NUMBERED SIZES(52) not lettered (XL).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the jersey in the picture doesn't seem fake to me, it just looks like a legit, pre-customized replica. There's no fight strap visible (and there obviously shouldn't be on a replica) and the size is clearly marked XL (as it should be on a replica). Fakes seem to always have fight straps and numerical sizes, which isn't the case here.

Weird..I cant see a pic.. strange.

I figured we where talking about an authentic not a replica.

oh well.

Yah, I figured I was looking for something that is going to be very hard or impossible to find.

I know some people here don't like autographs, but I really really want an autographed Mario and Sid jersey.

In your opinion, what it an acceptable jersey to get signed and put on display?

I don't have a problem getting a signed replica, however I don't know how to tell the difference (or find one) over a cheap Asian knock off.

I have a cheap Asian knock off Crosby jersey that was given to me as a gift. I would be embarrassed to mount a cheap knock off at home.

Yah, I figured I was looking for something that is going to be very hard or impossible to find.

I know some people here don't like autographs, but I really really want an autographed Mario and Sid jersey.

I don't have a problem getting a signed replica, however I don't know how to tell the difference (or find one) over a cheap Asian knock off.

I have a cheap Asian knock off Crosby jersey that was given to me as a gift. I would be embarrassed to mount a cheap knock off at home.

Well if I were to get a jersey to get signed I would get a replica because they are way cheaper than the authentics. But that's just my opinion.

This may sound rather obvious, but I would just recommend finding a Pens jersey that is somehow pleasing to YOU, that you would enjoy looking at over and over again. Of course you'd want to make sure Lemieux wore that model jersey, and that the customization is good- crappy customization will ruin the most beautiful of jerseys. For example, I know many people, even some Pens fans, don't care much for the RoboPenguin jerseys, but I happen to love them. So my autographed Lemieux is an authentic 1992 RoboPen- I don't really care if others don't like it, because I'm the one who gets to enjoy it. As far as replica vs. authentic, a well-customized replica can look great, and there's nothing wrong with that. An authentic will take you longer to find, not to mention cost more, but if the differences between them are that important to you then it might be worth it to hold out for an authentic. It's up to you. My whole point is that whatever jersey you choose, just make sure that something about it turns you on, and makes you proud to own it. Otherwise, what's the point?

I get replicas signed and am fine with it . Although my two Yzerman autographs are actually on authentics because that is all I had at the time I got to meet him.

So my next question is, how do I make sure I get a good replica over an Asian knock off?

Like I said earlier, I have got 2 Crosby jerseys as a gift. 1 is an obvious Asian knock off, but I don't know about the other. I don't want someone coming to my house and seeing an autographed jersey and quickly pointing out its an asian knock off. I may not be able to tell so easily now, but down the road if this turns into a jersey obsession I don't want to look back and regret some asian jersey I had signed during my one and only chance to get a Mario autograph

that one from kijiji is a replica.

If you want the original, I have one available, customized, sz 50, in black...

PM me if you are interested...

One of the reissues?

I'm in the same boat as many in looking for one of those. Nearly impossible and the only ones that come up are 44's and the odd 48. I remember being mad when they went to the robopenguin style. Good luck in your search

So my next question is, how do I make sure I get a good replica over an Asian knock off?

If you buy from a reputable place like IceJerseys or NHL.com (although I don't recommend NHL.com for their customization), you can be sure you're getting a genuine, official product. For a precustomized Lemieux jersey like the one on Kijiji, you're looking at close to $200. The only customization issue I see is that the letters on the nameplate are a little too big. Take a look at member HockeyMusic's collection- that's what an authentic 1990-91 Lemieux jersey should look like.

If you buy from eBay, you'll probably find the same thing for significantly less, but if you're not experienced at this, you run a big risk of buying something fake. There are, however, some sellers on eBay that are completely legit, but they are just as expensive (if not more so) as the other sellers I mentioned earlier. Locker Room Sports on eBay has quite a few replica Lemieux cup era jerseys, and they have the correct patches for those years as well (although they are probably replica patches). Here are a couple of them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARIO-LEMIEUX-PITTSBURGH-PENGUINS-CCM-1991-CUP-JERSEY-/360370086565?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item53e7bb22a5

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARIO-LEMIEUX-PITTSBURGH-PENGUINS-75th-ANNIV-JERSEY-/270756473663?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item3f0a57eb3f

The lettering on these is more accurate as well. These are about as good as you're gonna get, short of buying an authentic.

One of the reissues?

I'm in the same boat as many in looking for one of those. Nearly impossible and the only ones that come up are 44's and the odd 48. I remember being mad when they went to the robopenguin style. Good luck in your search

Original means from the 1990s...

I wasn't aware there were 50's in that style. Cool beans