Penguins Winter Classic 2011 Jersey Customization dilemma

Minx

Greetings.

I am looking to get a 2011 Winter Classic jersey customized #87 CROSBY with C PATCH. (yeah I know about the concussion and the loss to the Caps, but it will be the new 3rd jersey anyway)

Where do I get it as close to the actual jersey that was worn on ice during the winter classic?

I have checked on Ebay and also contacted House O Hockey and asked how their customization looked for this particular jersey, the results follow below - see SHOP 1 and SHOP 2 pictures.

However my question is regarding the space between the nameplate and back numbers and below the back numbers before the light blue striping starts.

Does it not look like SHOP 1 have too small gaps on both places? And also too small gap in between the back numbers?

And does it not appear that SHOP 2 have a too big gap below the back numbers? To me it appears this shop has smaller sized numbers than the original?

Am I delusional or is neither of these jerseys customized to the exact specification as the original ones? :wacko:

I am getting these for collecting purpose only, so I would like to get it as close as the original possible.

Note: I am not disrespecting any of the shops discussed, I only have concerns for this particular jersey. I apologize if any one is offended or think I am ranting about such tiny

differences etc.

Original:

originalo.jpg

Shop 1:

crosby2.jpg

Shop 2:

crosby.jpg

To me it looks like Shop 2 is more correct. The customization from Shop 1 looks a little off. When I say that I mean the spacing appears too close compared to the picture of Sid wearing the jersey. But the lettering and numbering looks okay to me based on the pictures (I could be wrong but...). Best thing to do is search Getty for images of Sid from the 2011 WC and compare it to those 2 shop customizations. If NEITHER looks 100% accurate, then you should take those Getty images and send them to wherever you want the jersey customized AND explain how it should be done. IMO that is your best bet to get the most accurate customization on the jersey.

I hope this helps.

I personally dont like either shops work. The first one, the numbers look too thick. The 2nd one, the numbers aren't long enough. I don't think I'd get either.

I personally dont like either shops work. The first one, the numbers look too thick. The 2nd one, the numbers aren't long enough. I don't think I'd get either.

I agree with this.

Especially if the Pens are going to make it their third jersey next year and a lot more stores will start carrying it. It would be a different thing if this was a one time only jersey and would only get harder to find as time goes on.

Thanks for the replys guys.

I posted this thread on a Pittsburgh Penguins forum and some people suggested that the differences might be down to different sizes of the jersey.

Considering this scenario with regards to SHOP 2 - House O Hockey:

Would this not mean that the jersey that has been photographed by House O Hockey must be several sizes BIGGER (if the numbers are the same size) than what the players wear on ice? And the players on ice wear the biggest size (like 56, 58) jerseys, correct?

I do not see the logic in this to be honest.

To make things even more interesting I have already paid for to get both Penguins Home Jersey and Penguins Road jersey customized by SHOP 2 - per recomend from various Pittsburgh Penguins boards.

I tend to think the numbers on these are "longer" - see reference photo below:

Do you agree that these numbers appears to be "longer"? If not, then I might just have purchased 2 "incorrect" Edge jerseys? :o

scpatchu.th.jpgbackspp.th.jpg closen.th.jpgcpatch.th.jpg frontjb.th.jpgplatek.th.jpg

To make things even more interesting I have already paid for to get both Penguins Home Jersey and Penguins Road jersey customized by SHOP 2 - per recomend from various Pittsburgh Penguins boards.

Do you agree that these numbers appears to be "longer"? If not, then I might just have purchased 2 "incorrect" Edge jerseys? :o

scpatchu.th.jpgbackspp.th.jpg closen.th.jpgcpatch.th.jpg frontjb.th.jpgplatek.th.jpg

The jerseys may be different sizes. Maybe the second one is super big...Possibly the player's jersey can be modified by the trainer, shortened in the waist, and that would make the numbers look closer to the stripes in that instance. (generally not a rule but a possibility)

I think you will be fine with your jerseys when you get them. I did one of my Ireland jerseys to the specs in a photo and I wish I hadn't. Turns out the next season they changed the placement of the name and it looks right. It's a little different than an NHL jersey.

2219644710106460649mTdgDI_th.jpg

The jerseys may be different sizes. Maybe the second one is super big...Possibly the player's jersey can be modified by the trainer, shortened in the waist, and that would make the numbers look closer to the stripes in that instance. (generally not a rule but a possibility)

[/url]

Thanks for the input. However this theory should not be an issue in this case since its not only Crosbys jersey but the entire team that looked that

way in the winter classic game.

kennedycooke.jpg

Cutting Edge sports does the Pens jerseys so if you are looking for 100% accuracy you will probably have to go through them.

I may be off base with this one but i have a feeling it may have to do with the differences in Edge 1.0 (House of Hockey example) and the 2.0 issued to the players.

The spacial margins in the jersey are different in all 3 pictures, which leads me to believe that if the nameplate and number sizes are consistent in the photo of crosby and the house of hockey example, it must be that the 1.0 which is generally longer in sleeve length and body length are causing the blue horizontal stripes to be further down the body compared to the 2.0 worn by Sid.

Again though, example 1 seems to be the correct location in terms of space for the cresting to go (between the vector logo down to the stripes) however in that case the lettering and numbering look too large and condensed, possibly a size 46/50 being used in the photo.

While none of this exactly helps, as mentioned by other members, the best bet would be submit your photo of crosby along with the jersey to cutting edge or EPS or someone reputable who will actually follow instructions and crest it the way you want it done.

I have this jersey in white. It was from TMLFAN who got it done up at Cutting Edge like he said. I can send you my pic's of it but just send it too cutting edge to have it done correct.

The reason I contacted House O Hockey was the following quotes:

by jeffshly on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:11 am

I have four Edge jerseys that I've purchased from the House O' Hockey. I have a black Gonchar '08 Cup Finals jersey, a white Orpik '09 Cup Finals jersey, a '10 Staal light blue jersey, and a '11 Goligoski Winter Classic jersey. All four are top of the line and identical to what's worn on the ice. From HoH, you can get the authentic lettering that matches the team-issued jerseys, as opposed to the slightly varied lettering you get from other places, including NHL.com. If I were looking for a new authentic jersey, I'd never buy one anywhere else.

by bing1992 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:50 pm

House O Hockey gets their stuff from Cutting edge sports, so they have the real stuff as well. You can't even get the real number and letters at the arena!!

---

In summary:

House O Hockey gets their nameplate, shoulder and back numbers + Captains Patch from Cutting Edge Sports. That would mean my edge jerseys should be OK?

This is work done by House O Hockey.

IMG_7694.jpg

IMG_7696.jpg

IMG_7698.jpg

IMG_7692.jpg

IMG_7693.jpg

It got the following reply:

by IncredibleMulk71 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:39 pm

The HoH jersey pictured above is still not the correct jersey material used during the 08/09 season. They used Edge 2.0 material and the jersey from HOH looks like it uses the Edge 1.0 material. Edge 1.0 material was only used from Sept - Dec of 2007. They phased out the 1.0 jerseys because of durability and weight issues. Other than that, the stitching is correct as it isn't 3 full layers of twill on the numbers. It looks like its 2 full layers and a black border layer just like the players wear on the ice.

---

Finally:

Does anyone here claim the work in the pictures above is NOT exactly as the players wear on the ice, and if so - why?

I am kind of confused at them moment, and I am trying to get a handle of the situation :)

I may be off base with this one but i have a feeling it may have to do with the differences in Edge 1.0 (House of Hockey example) and the 2.0 issued to the players.

The spacial margins in the jersey are different in all 3 pictures, which leads me to believe that if the nameplate and number sizes are consistent in the photo of crosby and the house of hockey example, it must be that the 1.0 which is generally longer in sleeve length and body length are causing the blue horizontal stripes to be further down the body compared to the 2.0 worn by Sid.

Again though, example 1 seems to be the correct location in terms of space for the cresting to go (between the vector logo down to the stripes) however in that case the lettering and numbering look too large and condensed, possibly a size 46/50 being used in the photo.

While none of this exactly helps, as mentioned by other members, the best bet would be submit your photo of crosby along with the jersey to cutting edge or EPS or someone reputable who will actually follow instructions and crest it the way you want it done.

Thanks alot for this lengthy and helpful reply.

Well, apparantly the House O Hockey picture is of a PREMIER JERSEY. How are these in design compared to the EDGE jerseys?

Sorry for not including this information in the first place, I did not know the jerseys had different cuts etc.

I have this jersey in white. It was from TMLFAN who got it done up at Cutting Edge like he said. I can send you my pic's of it but just send it too cutting edge to have it done correct.

Hi.

Well, if its not too much trouble, I would not mind seeing your jersey and compare it to the work done at House O Hockey.

Thanks

L

Hi.

Well, if its not too much trouble, I would not mind seeing your jersey and compare it to the work done at House O Hockey.

Thanks

L

They are around here somewhere?!?!? <RUMMAGE> <RUMMAGE> <RUMMAGE> AHH! here they are!

DSCF4293.jpg

DSCF4292.jpg

I'm holding it up and comparing it to what you got and your is SPOT ON!

Good job!

HIGH-FIVE!!

So the bottom line is, that House O' Hockey is the same customization as Cutting Edge Sports (who does the Penguins jerseys)? I have bought from HoH, specifically a blank 2011 Penguins WC jersey, but I did not get it lettered when I bought it. I know HoH has this option when you buy a blank. So when they offer to customize the blank, it is the same as getting Cutting Edge to do it? I just want to make sure. Thanks guys!