Jersey numbers

lfcjari37

Can someone tell me if players use alternative numbers for preseason or rookie tournament games? Reason I ask is that I see 2 Mark Letestu jerseys on ebay, one is #26 which is game worn while #51 is game issued, yet he wears #10 and I cant find anything on the pens site or elsewhere to say he wore those numbers.

Often times rookies will be issued numbers when they first arrive, that they wear in training camp, rookie games, or preseason games. There can be game-issued jersey prepared during this time that they never wore (either in the preseason or regular season). Then when they become regulars, the choose a different number.

The only suggestion I have is to do extensive research on the internet, searching training camp rosters, rookie game rosters, preseason game rosters and the like. A lot of info is hiding out there.

The other question is, if the #51 is a legit GI, but he never wore #51 in a regular season game, what does the jersey mean to you. Some people would think it a really cool "artifact", and a great addition to their collection. Others might not put much value in it since he may have never worn that number in a game.

Good luck!

Thanks for that! I managed to find a pens rookie camp roster but hes listed as #19 in that. Have to keep looking.

Can someone tell me if players use alternative numbers for preseason or rookie tournament games? Reason I ask is that I see 2 Mark Letestu jerseys on ebay, one is #26 which is game worn while #51 is game issued, yet he wears #10 and I cant find anything on the pens site or elsewhere to say he wore those numbers.

He wears #10 now but when he made his debut against the Habs in last year's playoffs he wore 38 I believe.

Thanks for that! I managed to find a pens rookie camp roster but hes listed as #19 in that. Have to keep looking.

It's possible he had a previous rookie camp as a junior player the season before as well...I've seen players in the Flyers system attend two or three rookie camps and pre seasons before being assigned to the AHL so multiple numbers are possible. The Flyers have played a rookie squad game against Washington the past couple seasons with players that were reassigned to juniors as well. I THINK Andreas Nodl has worn 41, then 14, and now 15 after the Flyers aquired Ian Laperriere.

Its also possible the team signs or makes a deal for a veteren player before training camp begins and takes the number.

If you can find a "photo geek" (like myself) that attended Pens rookie camp you may get an answer...Otherwise try to contact the Public Relations dept. to see if they can help.

It's possible he had a previous rookie camp as a junior player the season before as well...I've seen players in the Flyers system attend two or three rookie camps and pre seasons before being assigned to the AHL so multiple numbers are possible. The Flyers have played a rookie squad game against Washington the past couple seasons with players that were reassigned to juniors as well. I THINK Andreas Nodl has worn 41, then 14, and now 15 after the Flyers aquired Ian Laperriere.

Its also possible the team signs or makes a deal for a veteren player before training camp begins and takes the number.

If you can find a "photo geek" (like myself) that attended Pens rookie camp you may get an answer...Otherwise try to contact the Public Relations dept. to see if they can help.

Thanks for the info guys. Further digging shows he was in rookie camps for 2 years with the pens, 07 and 08, wearing #26 in 07. Now all I need is a picture so will see if the Pens PR can help.

Generally speaking, yes. Only the most highly-touted rookies are usually given the option of picking their number (unless it's freakishly high), mostly because there's a lot of recycling of preseason/rookie jerseys that takes place and because they like to keep the low numbers open for in-season acquisitions.

To use but one local example, Derek Dorsett went from #69 in his first camp to #42 in his second to #15 (when he made the team). To go in reverse, Jakub Voracek took #20 as a rookie in camp, then took #93 the next year after three acquired players (Huselius, Commodore, and Umberger) decided that they wanted #20....Huselius eventually won out.

Pavel Datsyuk, I think, was #56. Ryan Suter was #50, Joe Sakic #88 (and then Owen Nolan the next year had the same), Ziggy Palffy was #68...you get the idea. Radek Bonk actually chose #76, which he had with the Las Vegas Thunder, but went to a lower number when Ottawa decided that no one would have a number higher than 35.

I always assumed Sakic took 88 because his normal 19 had been taken and the year was 1988, but what do I know!

I don't know how true this story is but at the time Sakic and Lindros did not get along in junior hockey. Sakic took 88 so that if Quebec drafted Lindros, he wouldn't be able to wear 88 even if he had agreed to play for the Nords... After Lindros went to Philly, Sakic went back to his 19.

I don't know how true this story is but at the time Sakic and Lindros did not get along in junior hockey. Sakic took 88 so that if Quebec drafted Lindros, he wouldn't be able to wear 88 even if he had agreed to play for the Nords... After Lindros went to Philly, Sakic went back to his 19.

Well Alain Cote wore 19 for the Nords that year. And he retired at the end of the season. Next season Sakic started wearing 19. Which was 1989-90 which is 2 years before Lindros' draft year.

EDIT: Sakic's last year in Juniors was 87-88, while Lindros' first year in juniors was 89-90. Sorry to pour on, but this can't be true.

Yea, I can't picture Joe Sakic doing anything out of spite.

Well Alain Cote wore 19 for the Nords that year. And he retired at the end of the season. Next season Sakic started wearing 19. Which was 1989-90 which is 2 years before Lindros' draft year.

EDIT: Sakic's last year in Juniors was 87-88, while Lindros' first year in juniors was 89-90. Sorry to pour on, but this can't be true.

I don't think I ever really believed it but that story was being thrown around back then...It seems like many moons ago...I just thought I'd bring back an old story...

Tried the pens PR dept and no dice with the Letestu #26. Does anyone know a pens freak who may be able to help?

98849835.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F563CB3EF8A6F4B875F7E38324CAB3B91E3C7F3D4EF2F03C11

Number 38 for 09 camp and all appearances in playoffs

Number 51 for 08 camp

that's all I could find. Could be of use but I couldn't find a record of #26