Emergency...I'm an idiot and need help Wings jersey

Yzerman fan

Went to the Grand Rapids game tonight to get my new replica RBK Tomas Tatar jersey signed. I probably shouldn't have went as I been sick the past few days,but I managed to get through the game and luckily got Tomas to sign my jersey. But the idiot I am, I left the cap off sharpie and somehow blotched the heck out of my jersey :mellow: Please God, tell me there is someway to get this off? I really wanted to display this in my basement and now it looks terrible.

http://sports.webshots.com/album/579755834aoziAT

Ouch, the good news is... YES. You can remove it pending a few things.

If it's relatively fresh, get a commercial brand stain remover (spray and wash, resolve, oxy clean, etc...)go and soak the stain in one of the above for 5-10 mins, then soak the small area in a bowl full of COLD water. Use your fingers to lightly distress the material and if the ink hasn't fully dried it should lift. Repeat this a few times and it should come out.

Alternatively, if you're not a DIY kinda guy, a drycleaner will use acetone and take it right off, probably charge 5-10 bucks.

Good luck, the best advice is don't use any hot water or steam or heat which will set the stain, and don't let the stain dry out for to long as it will absorb into the fabric.

Ouch, the good news is... YES. You can remove it pending a few things.

If it's relatively fresh, get a commercial brand stain remover (spray and wash, resolve, oxy clean, etc...)go and soak the stain in one of the above for 5-10 mins, then soak the small area in a bowl full of COLD water. Use your fingers to lightly distress the material and if the ink hasn't fully dried it should lift. Repeat this a few times and it should come out.

Alternatively, if you're not a DIY kinda guy, a drycleaner will use acetone and take it right off, probably charge 5-10 bucks.

Good luck, the best advice is don't use any hot water or steam or heat which will set the stain, and don't let the stain dry out for to long as it will absorb into the fabric.

Trying this right now! Thanks

Good luck. :thumbsup:

I thought you're always told not to dry clean jerseys. That's not true?

You're not suppossed to dry clean them... But you're also not likely to find anyone else with pure acetone ;)

He won't actually dry clean it, they just remove the stain, and then take it home and hand wash in cold water and air dry.

Yeah, I can see some of the ink coming out,but there is still quite a bit. Not thinking I'm going to get this by myself. I haven't screwed any chance of getting a dry cleaner to do it right? And if I do take it there what do I need to tell them exactly so I don't lose my auto? Man, so frustrating. thanks for the help!

Signature isn't although as I got started I noticed two more spots on lower arms and one on the front which came from the back leaking through. So I should just tell them to use acetone and not dry clean it correct? I guess I'm lucky he signed on the top the the number. Man, what a disaster.

Also, since the drycleaners are all closed on Sunday, is there anything I should do to it(keep it wet?) So, it makes the stain easier to remove?

Shame you can't remove the number, wash the whole jersey, and put it back on :-\

I know. Wonder how hard it would be to remove the number and get a new jersey to put it on in case this doesn't come out. So , mad at myself. Can't believe I was that careless.

You can get acetone at Wal-Mart. I've used it for multiple non-jersey/marker related things. You can get a large "jug" in the paint section, or get a smaller quantity in the nail polish section (which is only roughtly $2.00). I'd make sure to test an area of the jersey you wouldn't easily see to make sure the acetone wouldn't damage it...just to be safe.

I left the cap off sharpie and somehow blotched the heck out of my jersey

http://sports.webshots.com/album/579755834aoziAT

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Doesn't help I'm pretty sick. My head is pounding and I still want to beat it against the wall.

@ Chow or anyone. Should I specifically ask the dry cleaners to NOT dry clean it and remove it with acetone?

Most drycleaners will have their "own" solution to the problem. Just let him/her know what areas you want to treat. My guy has used acetone and only applies it to the areas that are stained. Once it soaks long enough cold water will simply wash it away.

Just mention exactly what you want "Remove these ink stains please", and if he/she knows what they're doing it should be all fine.

BTW, i've used this method to remove a jersey with 24 signatures from a minor league team all over an ultrafil authentic and you can't even tell they were there.

I've been to 3 dry cleaners in my area and no one will touch my jersey.

I bought acetone from the hardware store as it was suggested on this board to get glue residue off of my Gunzo's Chicago Blackhawks ultrafil that I stripped, gotta say I'm a little afraid to apply it as I have heard all kinds of horror stories.

Am I supposed to water it down?

Soak the jersey in cold water 1st then wash right after?

Sorry to tag on to this thread but being a rookie I can't start a new post yet.

Thanks,

Yes,I got the Tait bobble. But the dry cleaner wouldn't take my jersey :angry:

Buy a Dryell kit. It comes with a bottle of stain remover and cotton pads. Place the cotton pads underneath the stain and rub the tip of the bottle over the stain. It's a $10 investment that might just work.

Bit of a thread hijack here, but this also involves stain removal.

I have an old replica jersey with a pressed on crest.

There is a stain on the twill border of the embroidered crest.

I have tried to wash the jersey with no success.

It almost looks like a thread from the jersey was burned into the crest

as the stain is a line the exact same color as the jersey ( don't see how this is possible though).

If I tried to use acetone or a stain remover would I run the risk

of loosening the glue and having that part of the crest pull up?

My guess is yes so I have resigned myself to living with the stain,

but any thoughts would be welcome.

Spent a billion dollars on cleaners and not getting far. Is it even possible to have someone remove the signed number and apply it to a new #$@#$ jersey? I hate myself.

Spent a billion dollars on cleaners and not getting far. Is it even possible to have someone remove the signed number and apply it to a new #$@#$ jersey? I hate myself.

I think it is possible to remove the signed number if you had it sewn on without the use of an adhesive behind the number?

Hopefully it works our for you. :thumbsup:

I think it is possible to remove the signed number if you had it sewn on without the use of an adhesive behind the number?

Hopefully it works our for you. :thumbsup:

It should be possible to remove the numbers, as long as they didn't use some kind of industrial strength adhesive. Most of the time the numbers just peel right off. However, most of the time when we're stripping jerseys, we use the seam ripper on the twill side so as to not damage the jersey. In this case, I'd use the seam ripper on the jersey side (inside the jersey), so you don't accidentally damage the twill number when using the seam ripper.