Early 80's Rangers Jersey

mharolde

Below are a couple of pictures of a Rangers jersey I have from either the 81-82 or 82-83 season.

Does anyone know if this is an authentic jersey or a replica? Did they make replicas in the 80's?

All I know about the jersey is it was purchased at MSG.

Although it is size 44, I can still get it on and I am 6'2" 220lbs.

The jerseys must have run big back then!

Thanks for looking.

My link

My link

My link

Although it is size 44, I can still get it on and I am 6'2" 220lbs.

The jerseys must have run big back then!

Most jerseys actually ran much smaller back then, but I have a 1983-84 CCM NJ Devils done up by Cosby with size 42 marked on the tag, and I'm 6'2", 215lbs, and it fits me nicely. It's 23" pit to pit (so it's slim), but it measures 32" from collar to hem, and the sleeve length covers my arms nicely as well.

I have no idea how they figured out sizes back then...I just know that once CCM took over for everyone and started going to the center ice collection, they would size 'em based on circumference at the chest. eg - 24 pit to pit meant a size 48, 25=50, 26=52, etc, etc, with a standard length from collar to hem and collar to sleeve that would correspond.

2794192290105778501OAnjsG_th.jpg

Ironically enough though, the one major exception I've seen to this happens to be with the Rangers jerseys; I've seen size 56s that are 28 pit to pit, as they should be, but only measure 30 collar to hem, and 30 center collar to sleeve, and they weren't altered, or a goalie cut or anything. I've come across a few weird sized Rangers from the 90s from time to time, and I'm always weary to make sure with a seller that I get exact measurements before I buy one, even if I see a tag that says 52...I don't trust it.

Hope my lack of any substantial information helps! :huh:

By the way, I think that Rangers jersey is a great piece, and if ever you decide to sell it, you should do as much research on it as possible because I bet it's worth more than you'd think.

Not to hijack this thread, but do we know what year did the Rangers (Cosby) started putting fight straps on the jerseys?

Nevermind, it seems to have started a long time ago, way earlier than I thought. I just saw a 1971 gamer with one.

Jersey I have must be a replica then because I know it was purchased in the early 80's and it doesn't have a fight strap.

Nice replica though, very heavy mesh and everything is stitched on.

Each different color is a separate piece of material stitched together.

To comment on the measurement post:

22" pit to pit and 32" long in the back.

Gotta be really tall and skinny to wear this one!

By your pics, it appears as if there're under-arm gussets.

Double elbows, double shoulders, thick material, under-arm gussets, and a size tag '44'

I'd say it's a pro.

FYI - I own a Caps and an Islanders, both done by Cosby, both pros, neither ever had a fight strap put in. I've also seen a few caps jerseys from the late 80s that never had them put in either.

I've seen the early pro jerseys from Cosby's minus the strap too. Back then, it could have been strictly an on-ice thing. It doesn't make the jersey any less genuine though.