Wearing signed jerseys?

WingedWheelers

Does anyone wear their signed jerseys? I see quite a few people at games wearing jerseys with signatures on them, but I was wondering what the consensus was from this community, since everyone here are pretty hardcore collectors. I have a signed replica jersey that I'd like to wear, but I've been afraid to. Also, if a signed jersey still has retail tags on it, does it devalue the jersey to remove these?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it does devalue a jersey to remove the tags; tagged and unworn is obviously going to hold more value than the opposite.

Whether you should or not, and whether you should wear a signed jersey or not, really depends on how important it is to you for your jerseys to maintain value and how mortified you'd be if something happened to it (i.e. some bellend spills his pint down you).

I have a Wings themed basement with my signed jerseys as the centerpieces. I personally would never wear any of them out for fear of something happening to them. God forbid something happen to my signed Yzerman jersey. Took me far too many years to get his autograph on that sucker!

I bought the jersey because I liked the jersey itself, the signature was just a bonus. The guy didn't even charge more for it because of the signature. It also just so happened to be the sig of the player I was going to put on the back of the jersey. Call it destiny I guess B)

I don't care much about making money off of the jersey, I don't intend on selling it. However, it just feels weird wearing a signed item around.

this conversation has come up before. Got Fairly heated.

I'm of the opinion NEVER to wear a siggy jer's (gotta love the slang) because off all the mishaps that may befall it.

How can one show off or frame a siggy jersey when its got a mustard stain on it or a rip or a black rub mark.

sure the signature is fine but its a sig JERSEY not just a signature.

Your better off getting a signature hockey card or photo rather then waste a jersey to be the medium for the signature itself.

Would you man-handle a sig'ed photo or hockey card? would you walk around outside all day with the photo or hockey card.

I bought the jersey because I liked the jersey itself, the signature was just a bonus. The guy didn't even charge more for it because of the signature. It also just so happened to be the sig of the player I was going to put on the back of the jersey. Call it destiny I guess B)

I don't care much about making money off of the jersey, I don't intend on selling it. However, it just feels weird wearing a signed item around.

Yeah, an autograph puts an item in the "don't wear or use" zone for me. For a similar example, I have an official Notre Dame football that never goes outside, but it's ok to toss around the room while we're watching the game. If it had an autograph on it, I wouldn't even do that. (As an aside, my 20-month old son has caught on that it's Dad's Football, and he steals it every chance he gets. :lol: )

I wear my auto'd LA Kings Dionne jersey. To be completely honest I don't trust autographs unless I've seen the player sign it, so who really cares. You carry the same risk with wearing a jersey anyway, so why is some splotch of marker going to make a difference?

I wear my auto'd LA Kings Dionne jersey. To be completely honest I don't trust autographs unless I've seen the player sign it, so who really cares. You carry the same risk with wearing a jersey anyway, so why is some splotch of marker going to make a difference?

With the exception of 3 autographed jerseys, I wear my other auto'd ones. Why? Because if it's a jersey I bought for wearing, the autograph is a big bonus. Other than that, I bought it to wear it, so I do. I wear my authentic '07 Niedermayer jersey to the games when Anaheim comes to Vancouver, and I've got another Niedermayer signed jersey that will stay in the closet. My authentic '97 white alternate Selanne auto'd I wear, but my signed Selanne Wildwing will stay on the hanger (no exceptions!).

Great perspective from both sides. As with most things, it just comes down to personal preference. I'll probably end up wearing the jersey around the house, but wear something else when going to the game.