1997/98 Nike replica jersey size question

WingedWheelers

Wow, I was looking for some obscure hockey jersey info, and I guess I came to the right place! Spent a good portion of last night reading through this board, great information!

I recently purchased an old Red Wings Nike replica jersey, it has the swoosh logo on both the right sleeve, and on the bottom back near the hem. I'm pretty sure its from 97 or 98. It's marked as a size large. However, this jersey is bigger than any large I've bought. I have a CCM 550 replica from 2000 that's a large, and its 25.5 inches across the chest (pit-to-pit). This nike jersey is 27 inches pit-to-pit, and almost 28 inches along the bottom hem (it looks like it tapers out from the bit down). The arms are also roomier, the CCM arms are 12 inches wide near the pit, and the Nike is 13 - 13.5 inches wide.

My question: Did the Nike jerseys from that time run big? Is this normal for a regular size large, or did I get a goalie cut jersey? How do you tell a goalie cut from a normal jersey?

Thanks in advance!!

Wow, I was looking for some obscure hockey jersey info, and I guess I came to the right place! Spent a good portion of last night reading through this board, great information!

I recently purchased an old Red Wings Nike replica jersey, it has the swoosh logo on both the right sleeve, and on the bottom back near the hem. I'm pretty sure its from 97 or 98. It's marked as a size large. However, this jersey is bigger than any large I've bought. I have a CCM 550 replica from 2000 that's a large, and its 25.5 inches across the chest (pit-to-pit). This nike jersey is 27 inches pit-to-pit, and almost 28 inches along the bottom hem (it looks like it tapers out from the bit down). The arms are also roomier, the CCM arms are 12 inches wide near the pit, and the Nike is 13 - 13.5 inches wide.

My question: Did the Nike jerseys from that time run big? Is this normal for a regular size large, or did I get a goalie cut jersey? How do you tell a goalie cut from a normal jersey?

Thanks in advance!!

Somebody with a bigger Nike collection could probably answer better but their jerseys run huge. I normally wear a 48 in old CCM, 50 in Edge and with Nike's I found that their 44's (Medium in a replica) fit me about the same size.

Somebody with a bigger Nike collection could probably answer better but their jerseys run huge. I normally wear a 48 in old CCM, 50 in Edge and with Nike's I found that their 44's (Medium in a replica) fit me about the same size.

Thanks for the info. I suspect that the jersey just runs a size larger with the older Nike's. If anyone owns the older size Nike in a medium, can you post the measurements here for comparison?

thanks!

Nike ran larger in both replicas and authentics, very roomy and boxy.

They only had goalie cut jerseys for team issued jerseys not at retail.

Thanks for the info. I actually found someone online who's selling a blank nike size medium from the same time period. He said that the pit-to-pit measurements on it are 24". Does this seem correct? It seems like a large difference, 3 inches going from a large to a medium.

• 1 month later...

I have a large Nike Blackhawks replica jersey, and I can definitely confirm that it's the largest large I've ever worn. I've also got an authentic Nike Blackhawks jersey that's a size 40, and it's surprisingly big as well. I guess they ran all their jerseys large or something.