Today In Infamy.

1945 – World War II: USAAF bomber Bockscar dropped an atomic bomb named "Fat Man", devastating Nagasaki, Japan.

1969 – Followers of cult leader Charles Manson murdered pregnant actress Sharon Tate and four others in her home in Benedict Canyon, Los Angeles.

1974 – The Watergate scandal: Richard Nixon became the first (and to date only) President of the United States to resign from office.

1988 – Ice hockey player Wayne Gretzky was traded from the Edmonton Oilers to the Los Angeles Kings, leading to the popularization of the sport in California, but also upsetting so many Canadians that some even considered him a "traitor" to his home country.

Darn tootin! I cried like a 10 year old boy.. Which I was :)

Lemieux became #1 in Canada that day. Took the Heart from Wayne also.

couldnt believe it when it went down

I still blame his wife. Wanting to live the high life in L.A. and all I bet

I still blame his wife. Wanting to live the high life in L.A. and all I bet

She's the Yoko Ono of hockey.

I remember being so surprised at the jersey Gretzky held up at the King's press conference. The new Kings jersey was so radically different from their purple and gold ones.

She's the Yoko Ono of hockey.

I remember being so surprised at the jersey Gretzky held up at the King's press conference. The new Kings jersey was so radically different from their purple and gold ones.

The black and sliver are FAR FAR less regal then the Purple and Gold of the old days. The color scheme made more sence that way.

Royal purple is just that. Royal. Worn only by the richest "Kings" of old as it was a very difficult color to extract into dye.

I'm not from Canada, but wasn't hockey popular there BEFORE Gretzky? The Canadiens and Leafs won all those Stanley Cups in the 40s, 50s, and 60s... But I understand that Gretzky being from Canada and him leaving had a major impact on the sport. Same with Mario. Who knows what would have happened had he been drafted by New Jersey or played for a Canadian team at some point in his career?

I'm not from Canada, but wasn't hockey popular there BEFORE Gretzky? The Canadiens and Leafs won all those Stanley Cups in the 40s, 50s, and 60s... But I understand that Gretzky being from Canada and him leaving had a major impact on the sport. Same with Mario. Who knows what would have happened had he been drafted by New Jersey or played for a Canadian team at some point in his career?

I'm sure Mario was going to a US team or matter what. I think it was either the Pen's or the Islanders. They where fighting for the basement of the NHL for the #1 pick. I'm sure you have heard the rumors of the pen's throwing the last game just to get Mario.

Yet had he went to a Canadian team then left like Mr. Wayne did, I'm sure would of been just as dishearting.

Yes. Hockey was popular in Canada before Gretztky, but not that popular! Even in the states. He lit up the hearts and minds of the entire world. When I visited family Europ in 86 they all knew who Wayne was. Heck, even Mongolians know who he is.

I'm sure Mario was going to a US team or matter what. I think it was either the Pen's or the Islanders. They where fighting for the basement of the NHL for the #1 pick. I'm sure you have heard the rumors of the pen's throwing the last game just to get Mario.

Yet had he went to a Canadian team then left like Mr. Wayne did, I'm sure would of been just as dishearting.

Yes. Hockey was popular in Canada before Gretztky, but not that popular! Even in the states. He lit up the hearts and minds of the entire world. When I visited family Europ in 86 they all knew who Wayne was. Heck, even Mongolians know who he is.

The Pens won the tanking contest against NJ to get Lemieux.

The NHL was formed in 1917 and all four teams were Canadian teams - Toronto Arenas, Montreal Canadiens, Montreal Wanderers, Ottawa Senators - and the fact the Stanley Cup was played for many years before that gives me the impression that hockey is Canada's game. But hey, that's just how I see it and like I said I'm not Canadian so I wouldn't know the reality behind it because I live in the states.

Mario was the first pick in the 1984 NHL Entry Draft and the Penguins and Devils were the two WORST teams in the 1983-1984 NHL season. I have heard, and do believe that the Penguins did purposely "throw" some of their games during that season just so they could finish last and draft Lemieux. The fact is that it's hard to get their coach to admit that it was done. Then again we'll probably never know for sure. Honestly though, it's not like the Penguins had a GOOD team that year and finished WAY below what they were supposed to. Their team was pretty bad and they were assured no lower than finishing second to last in the league.

Exactly. BOTH teams threw games at the end of that year. The only reason the Devils bitched about it was because the Pens were already lower than them in the standings and they didn't have a shot at landing Lemieux. Every time I go to complain about the Penguins of the early 1990's, I take a deep breath and count my blessings that it happened that way and not the 'other' way.

TRIVIA QUESTION: We all know that Lemieux was the first pick that year and then Kirk Muller was number two. BUT, who was number three? Hint: It's not someone you'd think of as a #3 overall pick.

Exactly. BOTH teams threw games at the end of that year. The only reason the Devils bitched about it was because the Pens were already lower than them in the standings and they didn't have a shot at landing Lemieux. Every time I go to complain about the Penguins of the early 1990's, I take a deep breath and count my blessings that it happened that way and not the 'other' way.

TRIVIA QUESTION: We all know that Lemieux was the first pick that year and then Kirk Muller was number two. BUT, who was number three? Hint: It's not someone you'd think of as a #3 overall pick.

Drafts are great in my opinion. Many a times players who get drafted high don't really live up to their billing. No offense to Muller, he was a good player but not nearly a GREAT one like Mario or Wayne.

I like going through drafts from years ago and searching when certain players were drafted. Sometimes it's funny to see many of the high round picks and be like, who the hell is this guy? More often that player never really did anything significant in his NHL career.

It's amazing to look the other way with it too. Luc Robitaille -- 668 goals, 1394 points, a first ballot Hall of Famer and perhaps the finest example of a left wing ever to play the game...selected in the 9th round.

It's amazing to look the other way with it too. Luc Robitaille -- 668 goals, 1394 points, a first ballot Hall of Famer and perhaps the finest example of a left wing ever to play the game...selected in the 9th round.

Don't forget Brett Hull in the sixth round!

My favorite though Tom Glavine in the 4th round.

Gilmour. 7th round. 134th overall in 82!