Martin Havlat

Mach_9

Worth the money?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Is Martin Havlat worth the money for Chicago?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Too early to tell.

What do you all think about Martin Havlat so far with 12 points in 5 games? He's the only guy in the NHL averaging more than 2 points per game with 2.4. This is following the hot playoff year he had, despite being eliminated early by the Sabres. I always thought Havlat was a franchise player and didn't get the ice he deserved in Ottawa. I'd take Havlat over Heatley, and even Alfredson any day. That's just me though, what do you all think?

Edit: I vote yes, because Chicago desperately needs a "go to guy" and a franchise player to build around. Khabibulin was supposed to be that guy, but he seems to have lost his game. With all the talented youth in Chicago, there needs to be a star player to carry the weight while they develop. I think Havlat is the right player for the organization.

Further Edit: If you couldn't tell, I'm slightly biased here as well. My user name is inspired by Havlat's old nickname when he wore #9 in Ottawa. Also - while my poll is apparently very unpopular - the current poll on NHL.com is "How many points will Martin Havlat have this year?". I didn't know that when I put up my poll.

Absolutely. He is putting up points for them and that is what he was payed to do.

I'm pretty sure in his contract is based upon points, goal, games played etc.

and not how many games he single-handedly won for them - That's humanly impossible.

For Chicago, this was a good move. Like you said, they have someone to build upon, and a go to mane very night who is guaranteed to get them points.

He is just killing me in my hockey pools :P.

He was definitely worth the money for Chicago. They have been sticking it to the fans for years and now they are finally starting to shell out the bucks for some stars. If he and Khabibulin can stay healthy, the fans might start coming back to Chi-town and supporting them. It's sad to see an original six team have only 11,000 (generous announcement) for last nite's game vs the Habs. Who knows if they make the playoffs they might have more than 7 home games broadcasted on tv in Chicago <_<

He was definitely worth the money for Chicago. They have been sticking it to the fans for years and now they are finally starting to shell out the bucks for some stars. If he and Khabibulin can stay healthy, the fans might start coming back to Chi-town and supporting them. It's sad to see an original six team have only 11,000 (generous announcement) for last nite's game vs the Habs. Who knows if they make the playoffs they might have more than 7 home games broadcasted on tv in Chicago <_<

Yeah - I see Havlat as a god-send for Chicago, especially if he keeps this up. I mean - again, I'm biased - but if he can stay on top of the league all year - scary thought, and not likely, but possible - he could help to almost single handedly save hockey in Chicago, even if they don't make the playoffs. I hope the Sens feel dumb though - I'd much rather have Havlat, and Hossa for that matter, than Heatley or Alfredson, and I wish the sens still had both, because I might actually be a fan then.

Wow - As if I needed to convince myself I went to the Hawks site to look at highlights from their games so far and see Havlat's goals. I highly suggest you go there and check out the highlights from last nights game against the Habs - his tally was incredible - it's the first one on the reel. He's so fast... I love players like this.

Hmm - I didn't see any headlines anywhere on NHL.com but Havlat didn't have a point in the last game and isn't dressed tonight. I'm assuming he got injured. Surprised that didn't make front page on the site, since he's leading the league. I'm upset now. I was really enjoying how well he was playing and I was looking forward to seeing how many points he could rack up. I hope he's back in the lineup fast and plays 75+ games this season. I would hate to see him play less than 70 and not reach his potential for the season as, obviously, he's one of my favorite players to watch of all-time. His speed is just incredible.

Edit: So I looked into it. According to the Hawks site: Martin Havlat's 13 points lead the NHL.

Martin Havlat will miss 2-3 weeks due to a sprained ankle, an MRI showed Saturday.

Very dissapointing. Pretty much guaranteed not to lead the league this year now. I'm definitly upset that he'll be missing so much time. I want to see what he can do on a top line, in 82 games. :(

Hmm - I didn't see any headlines anywhere on NHL.com but Havlat didn't have a point in the last game and isn't dressed tonight. I'm assuming he got injured. Surprised that didn't make front page on the site, since he's leading the league. I'm upset now. I was really enjoying how well he was playing and I was looking forward to seeing how many points he could rack up. I hope he's back in the lineup fast and plays 75+ games this season. I would hate to see him play less than 70 and not reach his potential for the season as, obviously, he's one of my favorite players to watch of all-time. His speed is just incredible.

Ankle injury.

Here is the info from a fantasy sports site I use.

Martin Havlat left Friday night's game in the third period with a right ankle injury. X-rays were negative and the Chicago forward will be re-evaluated Saturday. If Havlat, who was off to the best start of his career is out for any length of time, the Hawks will be in trouble as the talented Czech winger has been in on 13 of Chicago's 25 goals entering Friday night's action.

Yep, 2-3 weeks. Very upsetting. At least Afinogenov is the guy who took over first. If it can't be my favorite player, it can at least be someone from my favorite team. Still - I'm really actualy feeling let down by this.

He may not lead the league in scoring (or he may...who knows? The season is still young :)), but if he and Smolinski can give the Blackhawks a sorely needed dose of respectability, some of my Chicago buddies and I can enjoy a good natured rivalry that we theoretically haven't had since the glory days of the Pistons and Bulls (I say "theoretically" because we're not really big basketball fans, but no other Detroit-Chicago sports have really had any decent rivalry).

He may not lead the league in scoring (or he may...who knows? The season is still young :)), but if he and Smolinski can give the Blackhawks a sorely needed dose of respectability, some of my Chicago buddies and I can enjoy a good natured rivalry that we theoretically haven't had since the glory days of the Pistons and Bulls (I say "theoretically" because we're not really big basketball fans, but no other Detroit-Chicago sports have really had any decent rivalry).

Well, I was pulling for him to lead the league when he was in the lineup. Now that he's going to sit 2-3 weeks I've abandoned that hope. He had been leading league thus far (which means little at this point, but was very nice to see) and I had hoped he'd keep it up and have a really big year. 2-3 weeks isn't horrible, but it basically kills all chances of winning the Art Ross. Still, I hope he'll continue to be hot when gets back and I certainly hope he helps to put Chicago back on the hockey map. It would be nice to see them competing again.