Tips needed on how to strip a jersey

madflava

Hello,

A while back ago, I bought an Authentic Home Vancouver Canucks home jersey from the early 90's (when they were wearing the Canucks Place badge). I got it for a pretty good deal but unfortunately the customization job wasn't very accurate to what the jerseys look like at the time. It was customized with Bure #10 but the name was put on there with no nameplate and the #1 is the wrong type of font. Otherwise, the jersey is legit and needs a thorough cleaning since it also appears it hasn't been washed since the early 90's either. I've decided that I want to do this jersey justice by giving it a complete redo customization but I have never stripped a jersey before. From what I can tell, none of the letters or numbers have had glue used to attached the jersey, it was all completely sewn on. I think it will be an easy job but I want to make sure I get the proper tools and use the right technique to remove the lettering without damaging the jersey. I plan on getting a seam ripper from the local craft shop and have at it this week. Also, the jersey really needs to be cleaned. It's a white ultrafil, so if anyone has any tips on how to get it bright white again without damaging it, your advice would be much appreciated.

Hello,

A while back ago, I bought an Authentic Home Vancouver Canucks home jersey from the early 90's (when they were wearing the Canucks Place badge). I got it for a pretty good deal but unfortunately the customization job wasn't very accurate to what the jerseys look like at the time. It was customized with Bure #10 but the name was put on there with no nameplate and the #1 is the wrong type of font. Otherwise, the jersey is legit and needs a thorough cleaning since it also appears it hasn't been washed since the early 90's either. I've decided that I want to do this jersey justice by giving it a complete redo customization but I have never stripped a jersey before. From what I can tell, none of the letters or numbers have had glue used to attached the jersey, it was all completely sewn on. I think it will be an easy job but I want to make sure I get the proper tools and use the right technique to remove the lettering without damaging the jersey. I plan on getting a seam ripper from the local craft shop and have at it this week. Also, the jersey really needs to be cleaned. It's a white ultrafil, so if anyone has any tips on how to get it bright white again without damaging it, your advice would be much appreciated.

Dry clean it after you strip it and it should be alright.

BEWARE. Stripping ultrafil can be VERY tricky. Snags and pulls are almost a certainty if you don't do it SLOWLY. Since the jersey is white, it may be easier since the residue won't stick out as much but if you really have to strip it, just strip the numbers you have to and nothing else. I've come out on the wrong end of some ultrafil strip-jobs and they're not pretty.

BEWARE. Stripping ultrafil can be VERY tricky. Snags and pulls are almost a certainty if you don't do it SLOWLY. Since the jersey is white, it may be easier since the residue won't stick out as much but if you really have to strip it, just strip the numbers you have to and nothing else. I've come out on the wrong end of some ultrafil strip-jobs and they're not pretty.

Dudes right. I owe him so much for somehow stripping my Kings job. Ask Brilliant! to put up the pictures because I don't' have them anymore.

Is the danger for snags and pulls from the seam stripper catching the ultra fill material? I'm worried that after doing the stripping that there will be noticable holes in the ultra fill material from the sewn on numbers and name. The jersey I have, the name has to go because it is not on a nameplate and the spacing of the lettering is completely wrong. I can start with that since it will all be covered up with the nameplate anyway. For numbers is it best to cut the seams from inside the jersey or from the outside of the jerseys?

Always cut on the outside of the jersey. That way you're cutting the threads on top of the existing twill lettering, so if an accident happens you've got a layer between the ripper and the jersey material.

Yes, always rip the seams on the twill. There's less chance of cutting the fabric. When I talk about snags though, I mean from the glue holding the numbers on. If the kit is heat-sealed on well, it'll be really tough to get it all off clean. Also, with a jersey that old, there may be discoloration underneath. Just go slow and see what happens.

Yes, always rip the seams on the twill. There's less chance of cutting the fabric. When I talk about snags though, I mean from the glue holding the numbers on. If the kit is heat-sealed on well, it'll be really tough to get it all off clean. Also, with a jersey that old, there may be discoloration underneath. Just go slow and see what happens.

Crap, the letters and numbers are glued on and then sewn on. Any tips on how to remove a number that has been glued on? I remember someone posting about using Goo Gone to help dissolve/loosen the glue from number stuck to jerseys.

• 3 weeks later...
Crap, the letters and numbers are glued on and then sewn on. Any tips on how to remove a number that has been glued on? I remember someone posting about using Goo Gone to help dissolve/loosen the glue from number stuck to jerseys.

I'm going through the same process you are. I have mid-80's Blackhawks Gunzo's ultrafil w/letters glued on and then stitched up to the jersey. Took forever, since the freaking

name was like an alphabet soup. Left tons of glue reisdue. Then the #'s. The good thing is that I'm stripping #13 and converting to #18 (Savard) but

the bad thing is, those freaking #'s left tons of red discoloration around them. I've tested every chemical on the market, I mean EVERY one to no avail. Then I took to local

drycleaner who's tested their (steam + chemicals) process and it worked but he said it's too time consuming and not worth doing it (I was offering $50 to 'cleanup' the whole

jersey, but he refused, I guess economy is not affecting him...). Frustrated went to my 'ma & pa laundry' where I get my stuff done for years, they don't do drycleaning

in-house, they send out, and asked for help. Showed them that it can be done and...They said no problem, it might take a week, so many letters and #'s but, they think is

doable and shouldn't cost more than $30. Moral of that story, don't give up, try your local drycleaner and if, the jersey is white, they can most likely do it...

(sorry for the long post)

aldo

For removing an iron patch I was able to remove the stitching. Then I turned it inside out, put a white t-shirt in between the patch and my iron and slowly warmed up the glue. I then carefully peeled the patch off, heating it a little more when the glue cooled down. Any residual glue was removed by putting Goo Gone on a paper towel and cleaning the area. It took a while but it worked out.

As for removing the letters and numbers on my jersey. I'm going to start on the letters tonight. I'm still not sure what glue they used but I'll try goo-gone first before resorting to using an iron. I'm not sure if these twill numbers were attached using a heated glue.