What Flaws would you live with when it came to buying your dream jersey?

Displaced Swede - FJC

Lets say you have a dream jersey in mind, you come across one sooo close to perfect, but there is a flaw, what flaws would you live with?

A captain's C on the wrong side

Small flaw in the font?

slightly crooked logo?

Name bar to high? Number to low?

If it was a replica and not an authentic?

Something else?

I passed on a Fleury Belfast giants jersey just cause it was the wrong vintage of giants jersey, granted most people wouldnt notice, i was still tempted, and now actually kicking myself for not getting it.

Personally, I couldn't live with any, because if I knew there was a flaw I would focus in on the flaw and nothing else. Now if I am ignorant to the flaw...well, ignorance IS bliss.

However, if the jersey was correct and it just had a snag or hardly noticeable stain I wouldn't mind.

Personally, I couldn't live with any, because if I knew there was a flaw I would focus in on the flaw and nothing else. Now if I am ignorant to the flaw...well, ignorance IS bliss.

However, if the jersey was correct and it just had a snag or hardly noticeable stain I wouldn't mind.

I can live with some, My biggest pet peeve of a 'accidental' flaw is when the number and the name dont line up correctly, i can hand the name being to high, or even the number and name being to close together, but if it is off-centre i hit the roof

I still feel bad for the poor girl who did my Flames Tanguay Jersey and had the 4 line up alll the way to the left below the T, and then the 0 lined up below the U. I was quite upset.

I think this sums up my viewpoint perfectly. Once I spot that flaw, its all I look at, no matter how hard I try not to. Case in point, the black Anaheim Ducks jersey is one of my current faves. In 2006, I bought one with my birthday money from my grandparents. Before the whole SELANNE personalization disaster (to sum it up, the wife and I went to the Honda Center for a Ducks game on our honeymoon, I got the jersey personalized with Selanne and a week after I returned to Phoenix, the personalization peeled right off). I was wearing my jersey on the way home and I noticed a small hole in the waist. Being as obsessive compulsive over these things like I am, I focused on it, whenever I looked at it. I've been able get a tailor to sew the nameplate and number back on, but its not been the same, nor probably ever will with me...how I yearn for the day when the only thing wrong with it was the hole.

As I've become more and more of a collector, I've grown to really like the authentics better than the replicas. When I got my Stars replica jersey for Christmas, at my first Stars game out here I wanted an authentic. Likewise with the Ducks jersey, eventually, I managed to get an authentic Ducks jersey. The replicas don't quite cut it with me quite like they used to. Unfortunately for me, they're about all I can afford (when I can afford them these days).

I'm also a stickler for sizes too. I love to wear my jerseys bigger, with an XXL being my preferred size of choice. However, that doesn't stop me from getting an XL if I find a good deal. When I get the XL jersey, its not too long before I want the XXL. I try not to be as picky when it comes to those.

There are certain things that I may make an exception for, but very rarely. Its usually only when I find a good deal or a rare jersey. I'm to the point with baseball jerseys where I'd just rather find a good deal in a personalized jersey and then pull the name and number off, then wash it and hope it comes out. I just did that with my Angels Troy Glaus jersey. The baseball jerseys don't quite bother me like the hockey jerseys do for some reason.

I think this sums up my viewpoint perfectly. Once I spot that flaw, its all I look at, no matter how hard I try not to. Case in point, the black Anaheim Ducks jersey is one of my current faves. In 2006, I bought one with my birthday money from my grandparents. Before the whole SELANNE personalization disaster (to sum it up, the wife and I went to the Honda Center for a Ducks game on our honeymoon, I got the jersey personalized with Selanne and a week after I returned to Phoenix, the personalization peeled right off). I was wearing my jersey on the way home and I noticed a small hole in the waist. Being as obsessive compulsive over these things like I am, I focused on it, whenever I looked at it. I've been able get a tailor to sew the nameplate and number back on, but its not been the same, nor probably ever will with me...how I yearn for the day when the only thing wrong with it was the hole.

As I've become more and more of a collector, I've grown to really like the authentics better than the replicas. When I got my Stars replica jersey for Christmas, at my first Stars game out here I wanted an authentic. Likewise with the Ducks jersey, eventually, I managed to get an authentic Ducks jersey. The replicas don't quite cut it with me quite like they used to. Unfortunately for me, they're about all I can afford (when I can afford them these days).

I'm also a stickler for sizes too. I love to wear my jerseys bigger, with an XXL being my preferred size of choice. However, that doesn't stop me from getting an XL if I find a good deal. When I get the XL jersey, its not too long before I want the XXL. I try not to be as picky when it comes to those.

There are certain things that I may make an exception for, but very rarely. Its usually only when I find a good deal or a rare jersey. I'm to the point with baseball jerseys where I'd just rather find a good deal in a personalized jersey and then pull the name and number off, then wash it and hope it comes out. I just did that with my Angels Troy Glaus jersey. The baseball jerseys don't quite bother me like the hockey jerseys do for some reason.

Would you buy a mispelled jersey with aspirations of getting the namebar replaced? Or say a jersey with a different players name just to change the name bar to the player you want?

Would that be considered a flaw?

I remember seeing a Caps edge Ovechkin with the A on the wrong side, boy was I upset =/ couldnt pull the trigger on it. Think it closed for around $100 total including shipping, but I figured on a white jersey its definitely going to scar

I remember seeing a Caps edge Ovechkin with the A on the wrong side, boy was I upset =/ couldnt pull the trigger on it. Think it closed for around $100 total including shipping, but I figured on a white jersey its definitely going to scar

I bought a white heat-sealed Dan Hinote Avs Jersey. I spent soo much time carefully ironing the namebar off the jersey, peeled it off, and saw the blue dye "HINOTE" permanently stained in the jersey, luckly i was going for a longer name in Kamensky but you could still see it in bright light.

I couldnt wear it cause of that so i ended up listing it on eBay

Well last year, when I wasn't so knowledgeable about collecting, I picked up a Crosby jersey on Ebay. It looked good to me in pics since they weren't the generic stock photo pic and the shipper was in the U.S., plus shipping was reasonable so I won the auction and got the jersey.

When I got it however, was a different story. The name plate was crooked and the numbers were a little too low. The jersey is labeled an XL and has the replica RBK size tag, yet has a fight strap in it. The numbering style on the back was also incorrect. Needless to say, I cringe looking at that jersey now and wish I'd known better. I could live with it if the only flaw were a fight strap in a replica or the crooked nameplate, but with two or three blunders...ugh I wish I could get rid of it and buy a correct Crosby jersey! Even if I have to go to Champs and buy the poor man's replica.

Yes, I've gotten paranoid...

Well last year, when I wasn't so knowledgeable about collecting, I picked up a Crosby jersey on Ebay. It looked good to me in pics since they weren't the generic stock photo pic and the shipper was in the U.S., plus shipping was reasonable so I won the auction and got the jersey.

When I got it however, was a different story. The name plate was crooked and the numbers were a little too low. The jersey is labeled an XL and has the replica RBK size tag, yet has a fight strap in it. The numbering style on the back was also incorrect. Needless to say, I cringe looking at that jersey now and wish I'd known better. I could live with it if the only flaw were a fight strap in a replica or the crooked nameplate, but with two or three blunders...ugh I wish I could get rid of it and buy a correct Crosby jersey! Even if I have to go to Champs and buy the poor man's replica.

Yes, I've gotten paranoid...

I have an authentic 3rd Penguins jersey for sale, but that would probably fit too large on you. It's a size 56

I passed on a Fleury Belfast giants jersey just cause it was the wrong vintage of giants jersey, granted most people wouldnt notice, i was still tempted, and now actually kicking myself for not getting it.

I think you made the right choice. I'd have thought that the 05/06 jersey is the sort of thing that might show up every so often, maybe need to check the UK eBay site.

Would you buy a mispelled jersey with aspirations of getting the namebar replaced? Or say a jersey with a different players name just to change the name bar to the player you want?

Would that be considered a flaw?

It depends on if its a replica or authentic and how the nameplate is affixed to the jersey. If its glued on, then probably not (with regards to your first question). I've kicked around sending jerseys off in the past, but I'm an impatient one and a big procrastinator as well. I've not sent one off yet, but in time I probably will. I'm a little more picky about replicas.

To answer your second question, I've considered it in the past and I'd definitely consider it again if the right opportunity arose. I love the Stars authentic jerseys. Here in Dallas, after Sean Avery's remarks in December, his stock fell hard among Stars fans. When I went to a Stars game here, I was tempted to buy an authentic Avery jersey at the team store which had been marked down 1/2 off. The only thing that prevented this was money that I didn't have to buy the jersey. My plan was to get the jersey and have the nameplate removed and either put my own name on there or just go without (probably what I would've done anyway).

Unfortunately, these things have gotten a little too expensive for me to justify buying them too much anymore or getting them personalized. That and my lack of employment at the moment. I'm down to about a jersey a year if I'm lucky, maybe two.

I can deal with imperfections on some of my game worn jerseys. Seems that the customization for the actual teams are far from perfect. But those jerseys are ok with me and i can deal with them not being perfect nor to mention marks, holes, etc... I get aggrivated however if i send one of my authentics off for customization and the come back messed up. I will stare at them and regret that I ever tried to make them look better with a name and number. I have seen jerseys that I really wanted for my collection and could not close the deal because something was incorrect or off in some way. That's why I feel better buying game worn jerseys because I know they will have authentic letters and numbers. I guess it is never a bad thing to find a nice old authentic that no one has tried to customize. But that in itself in my searches has been few and far in between.

I wish that i was a bit more talented in the sewing department, cause i would love to just purchase bulk of flames jersey numbers to do my own customization. $30 each instead of $90

I found a really great jersey at a good price that I'm considering buying, the only flaw is that the name is supposed to be on a nameplate and its sewn directly on the jersey. is that a legit reason for not buying it? because that's the only thing keeping me from puling the trigger right now.

What material is the jersey made out of? If it's air-knit or mesh, it might be possible to remove the name without any damage. Also, when you take the letters off, you could always get a longer nameplate to cover any markings. Let's take a look at what you're talking about.

What material is the jersey made out of? If it's air-knit or mesh, it might be possible to remove the name without any damage. Also, when you take the letters off, you could always get a longer nameplate to cover any markings. Let's take a look at what you're talking about.

belfour.jpg

belfour1.jpg

Oh man, if you can get it, then get it. It'll be tough to get the letters off of the ultrafil BUT you can put a white longer nameplate over where the letters where and you won't even notice it. It's a small price to pay for such a fantastic jersey. I can take a crack at it if you want. Shoot me a message if you want me to give it a shot.

Oh man, if you can get it, then get it. It'll be tough to get the letters off of the ultrafil BUT you can put a white longer nameplate over where the letters where and you won't even notice it. It's a small price to pay for such a fantastic jersey. I can take a crack at it if you want. Shoot me a message if you want me to give it a shot.

I had a Rob blake Avs jersey that i thought i would get Liles on, i did the name bar thing over top, and it was definitely noticeably cause of the white material, had it been a darker jersey i would try that.

I've found that if there is any flaw, all I do is focus on it and it drives me crazy.

I get so tired of opening up a package with a new customized jersey (even from places I normally trust) and something is slightly (or worse) off. Argh!

I've gotten to where I prefer game worns. At least if they are beat up or the customization is off, I know it is 100% authentic as worn on the ice!