NASCAR and Talladega

ZoomZoom18

Good grief, did anyone get a chance to see that Carl Edwards wreck yesterday at Talladega? That thing was scary! Thank God no one was killed and the catch fence did its job. I have to give the drivers involved credit. I thought they were very classy with their post-race interviews and you could tell it really shook up Edwards (and who could blame him).

Yeah, I saw the highlights of that and that wreck had the potential to be quite a bit worse. Fortunately the fence did its job and all that happened was that 7 people suffered some minor injuries (1 had a fractured jaw).

It was unreal watching it unfold. I'm a big racing fan and whenever I see one of those cars get airborne like that, its very eerie. It is amazing that there weren't anymore serious injuries than there were. I have to say, I gained a new respect for Carl Edwards with the way he handled himself in the post-race interviews.

I don't try to think about that sort of thing when I go to races, but its always in the back of my mind how terrifying it can be to watch those cars crash like that. Especially IndyCars, one series that I'm a big fan of. I sat down low at the Indy 500 in 2003 in the first turn and it was awesome watching the cars come flying down the straight at you. The IndyCars had a big problem with their cars getting airborne in 2003, the year they introduced their current design. Thankfully they fixed whatever problem it was that caused them to get airborne.

It was unreal watching it unfold. I'm a big racing fan and whenever I see one of those cars get airborne like that, its very eerie. It is amazing that there weren't anymore serious injuries than there were. I have to say, I gained a new respect for Carl Edwards with the way he handled himself in the post-race interviews.

I don't try to think about that sort of thing when I go to races, but its always in the back of my mind how terrifying it can be to watch those cars crash like that. Especially IndyCars, one series that I'm a big fan of. I sat down low at the Indy 500 in 2003 in the first turn and it was awesome watching the cars come flying down the straight at you. The IndyCars had a big problem with their cars getting airborne in 2003, the year they introduced their current design. Thankfully they fixed whatever problem it was that caused them to get airborne.

Yeah, they have worked on so many things to do whatever they can to keep these and every racecar on the track and prevent them from going airborn.

Myself and a couple of co-workers are gonna be at the Indy Car race at Texas Motor Speedway, I am looking forward to it.

That wreck could have become as notorious as Le Mans 1955. That was nearly NASCAR's worst nightmare played out on national TV. It's amazing that a fence can withstand that kind of force from a car that heavy compared to an Indy Car.

I recall once being at a sports car race and staring at the bottom of an airborne Camaro as it was flying through the air in my direction and thinking "This, is a bad thing." I was lucky that it came back down and slid, rather than rolled.

Myself and a couple of co-workers are gonna be at the Indy Car race at Texas Motor Speedway, I am looking forward to it.

You'll probably see me there if I can save the money for tickets. That's a must-see event on the ICS calendar. I've driven by Texas Motor Speedway once, that's a huge looking facility. If you see a guy wearing a Toyota F1 racing shirt with 16# Trulli on the sleeves, that's me. I'm hoping Robert Doornbos has the oval thing down solid by then. Its my first IndyCar race I'll be attending since Phoenix 2005. :thumbsup:

JeffB,

Did you ever see a clip of Mark Webber's crash in the Mercedes sports car at Le Mans in 1999? Were you at Elkhart Lake when the Camaro flipped?

JeffB,

Did you ever see a clip of Mark Webber's crash in the Mercedes sports car at Le Mans in 1999? Were you at Elkhart Lake when the Camaro flipped?

Oh yea, that Mark Webber crash is very well known. The fear of that happening again still affect the rules to this day.

Yes, I was at Road America. I've been going to the races there annually since 1977. I think I'm going to have my ashes spread there when I croak.

Yes, I was at Road America. I've been going to the races there annually since 1977. I think I'm going to have my ashes spread there when I croak.

Kinda sounds like me and IMS. When I was in the AF, I had to decide between the USGP and Indy 500 as the races I wanted to attend. Being a big F1 fan, the USGP always won out. F1 has always captured my attention unlike any other series. Now that its out of Indianapolis, I'm hoping to get back to the Indy 500. I haven't been since 2003 and the funds haven't always been there to allow me to go. I'm gonna have to miss this year's but I'm aiming for next year's.

A buddy of mine from Wisconsin goes to Road America from time to time. I'd love to see them bring the IndyCars back there.