2003-2004 Thrashers Jersey Question

Steven6095

Hello. Long time reader. Have a nice Flip Kuba all star jersey done by IceJerseys and just picked up an authentic Atlanta white jersey.

It is the older style and I want it lettered like the 2003-04 set.

Andy Sutton is my player of choice - played with our local AHL team a few years.

That was the year that Dan Snyder was killed - thus the black patch on the jersey. - That can be gotten on ebay.

They apparently also wore a 5th anniversary patch - I CAN NOT FIND THIS FOR THE LIFE OF ME!! I NEED THAT PATCH

Now the questions:

#1) I saw a reference online where Andy Sutton was an assistant captain for part of the season. Can anyone confirm this as true or false?

#2) Again.....online......I know....a great reference, that he was in the Young Stars game and wore a patch for that? True or false? I can not find an official roster to check.

Thanks everyone.

If anyone has a picture of Andy wearing that 04 home white - I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

Hi Steven,

Welcome to the world of posting, good to have you.

Gettyimages is always a good place to start for images. I couldn't find a picture of him in the Young Stars game that year or with an "A", Heatley and Kozlov seem to have worn it that year.

Here is a picture of him that year wearing the 5th anniversary patch and the #37 patch. Hope this helps!

3466887511_da5b55f62f_o.jpg

Edited by ewillia8

Close up of the 5th anny patch

Good luck with your search, seems like it's going to take some work to find one. Other than game worn I'm not sure if the patch is available, but you never know who has some stashed away for a rainy day.

Thanks!

I seriously doubted the young stars patch, but could not find anything for certain.

That picture will help a lot. Thank you.

A new question.....at anypoint in 03-04 did the Trashers wear the memorial patch before the anniversary patch was added? As far as I know the ann. patch was added later in the season.

Go on Gettyimages.com

Search atlanta thrashers 2003 and look at the dates to find the games that season

Edited by ewillia8

I know the players wore a patch in the Young Stars Game in 2003, 2004 & 2007. I've never seen a 2003 or 2007 patch available. Upper Deck was giving away the 2004 patches at the Fan Fest that year, but those were few and far between on ebay afterwards. I'd guess that most of them have found a permanent home in someone's collection by now.

2980683960100337552S200x200Q85.jpg

By 2003, Sutton would have been in his 5th season though. Perhaps a bit old by then for the YoungStars game. What year did he play in it? The first one in 2002? Getty shows no special patch worn in 2002. They also show no photos of Sutton from any YoungStars Game.

A new question.....at anypoint in 03-04 did the Trashers wear the memorial patch before the anniversary patch was added? As far as I know the ann. patch was added later in the season.

Snyder passed away on Oct. 5 and the Thrashers season opener was Oct. 9th. They wore both the 5th Anniversary and Snyder #37 patch starting that night.

By 2003, Sutton would have been in his 5th season though. Perhaps a bit old by then for the YoungStars game. What year did he play in it? The first one in 2002? Getty shows no special patch worn in 2002. They also show no photos of Sutton from any YoungStars Game.

Snyder passed away on Oct. 5 and the Thrashers season opener was Oct. 9th. They wore both the 5th Anniversary and Snyder #37 patch starting that night.

I don't think Sutton played in an actual YoungStars game. Here is a link to the rosters of the 02 game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/20...ngstars_roster/

03: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/ne...ngstars_roster/

The only Thrasher selected to the YoungStars game that season was Exelby, but he did not play due to injury. The jersey that was prepared for him was unique in that it reversed the patches so the YoungStars patch would be on the same side for all teams and it couldn't fit beneath the anniversary patch. As far as Sutton wearing an "A", I somewhat remember him wearing it on occasion until Heatley came back from injury. I think he got an "A" on nights that Bondra didn't play. I'm not even sure any game jerseys exist with the A on them as it was probably stripped.

Thanks guys for the info! What a great resource!

So.....no on the young stars and I SERIOUSLY doubted that anyway.

I found a picture online of a "game worn" jersey with the A on it that claimed it was Sutton's but no picture of the back or the sleeve #s. Picture from on google images but the website was not working so it was only the cached image.

I will dig around. If he did wear the A for a few games, that would be great to add to the uniquness of the jersey.

Still digging for the 5th ann. patch.

I HAVE THE PATCH : ) It's on its way to me.

Now....this whole alternate captain thing. I have a few emails in to Thrasher's staff and an Atlanta sports writer..

Let us know wether you hear from them or not. I'm curious to hear if you get a response.

I HAVE THE PATCH : ) It's on its way to me.

Now....this whole alternate captain thing. I have a few emails in to Thrasher's staff and an Atlanta sports writer..

Congrats on the patch, mind if I ask where you got it?

More patches the better!!

Jeff would agree with you on that one!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay - patch came from National Emblem. They only have a precious handful left, but they do have them :)

Not that I would ever ruin the collectable value of the patch - but the boiling water trick works great if someone is into putting such a nice patch on a nice jersey : ) LOL

actually the Team Gear store inside Philips Arena has had those patches ever since the Thrashers wore them. I didn't check before the last game of the season but I know they had them this past season. anyone else looking for one can call them: (404) 878-3544 or 1-866-GEAR 4 YOU (432-7496)

you did get the correct one, right? they had 2 different color 5th anniversary patches for home and away.