Jersey Size Question

numerotres

I'm very interested in purchasing my first jersey soon, but I'm wondering what size I should buy. I'm about 5'5 and am probably not going to get much taller than that. I was thinking about either a medium or large. A friend of mine is about the same as me and he wears a large, but when I held a large up, it looked big. Which size would be more appropriate for me to buy? Any help would be appreciated.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum. Didn't see another spot where it should go.)

Depends on what kind of girth you're carrying and which model you're buying.

I am 5'8 - 5'9 and weigh about 145-150. I can fit in a size small but its a bit snug. Size medium is the perfect fit for me whereas the large is a bit baggy with long sleeves (new RBK Premier jerseys)

If you're getting the older jerseys, just go a size up from what I had listed here. An older size medium fits me more like a new size small whereas the old large fits like a new medium to me, etc.

If you want precise measuring to compare with your other clothe, there might be a chart somewhere online that someone can probably find for you. Alternatively, you can just go in a store and try on the different sizes. The stores here are pretty lenient with us trying stuff on to see the fit.

I'm about 160 pounds and I plan on buying a new RBK Premier jersey. From what you said, it sounds like medium may be the size for me. I normally wear large shirts, but they are a bit big and not form fitting. I don't know how often I'd plan on washing it (for fear I'd wreck it), but does it shrink at all?

I think your best bet is to go to sporting goods store and try one on. I'm not sure where you are located but if you are going to put money in on a jersey, trying on a few sizes is a good idea.

If you don't plan on getting it customized, just go ahead and order a medium, if it feels tight send it back and request a large. If you do plan on getting it customized though, I would try to find a local sportswear shop that sells jerseys and try it on there since you can't return Customized items unless there is a mistake.

I think your best bet is to go to sporting goods store and try one on. I'm not sure where you are located but if you are going to put money in on a jersey, trying on a few sizes is a good idea.

It's not that I can't find one, but the selection is horrible. Ideally, I'd like to get the Flyers alternate uni (preferably Richards or Carter). But they are hard to find and stores seem to sell out of them fast (I live in New Jersey). My friend works at a sports store and says they only have Briere's. I wouldn't mind getting a home or road jersey, but again, it's hard to find who I want. I run into a lot of Briere and Biron jerseys. Not a lot of Richards or Carter jerseys, and when I do find them, they're either small or an XL.

Not sure how often you get to Flyers games, b/c I don't know where in NJ you live obviously, but I would bet the Center itself is a good place to try. Either that or otherwise your best bet is looking online at one of the many jersey sites. But don't look online until you absolutely know what size you need. Maybe what you could do is even try on a jersey in another style in the different sizes, if other styles are widely available? Then you should be good to go.

OK so I kinda wandered off topic, but do you have a ######'s Sporting Goods or a Champs in your area? The Champs in the mall here sells Flyers jerseys, but not the style you are looking for.

Not sure how often you get to Flyers games, b/c I don't know where in NJ you live obviously, but I would bet the Center itself is a good place to try. Either that or otherwise your best bet is looking online at one of the many jersey sites. But don't look online until you absolutely know what size you need. Maybe what you could do is even try on a jersey in another style in the different sizes, if other styles are widely available? Then you should be good to go.

OK so I kinda wandered off topic, but do you have a ######'s Sporting Goods or a Champs in your area? The Champs in the mall here sells Flyers jerseys, but not the style you are looking for.

I'm actually going to a Flyers game tomorrow night (hopefully not the same result against the Leafs as last night). Kind of why I wanted to get a jersey. I've been meaning to get one for awhile, but now I figure would be a good time. I live in South Jersey and there is a ######'s Sporting Goods, Sports Authority, and a few smaller stores here and there. But for the most part, the selection is virtually the same everywhere. I originally thought the Wachovia Center would be good, but my friend said something about the jerseys costing more there for some reason. Don't really think that's the case.

I'm actually going to a Flyers game tomorrow night (hopefully not the same result against the Leafs as last night). Kind of why I wanted to get a jersey. I've been meaning to get one for awhile, but now I figure would be a good time. I live in South Jersey and there is a ######'s Sporting Goods, Sports Authority, and a few smaller stores here and there. But for the most part, the selection is virtually the same everywhere. I originally thought the Wachovia Center would be good, but my friend said something about the jerseys costing more there for some reason. Don't really think that's the case.

I've never been to Wachovia Center, but your friend may be right. I was in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago and the price comparison between jerseys at malls/sports stores/etc. was quite different between what they cost at the Mellon Arena. If I had bought a jersey (I wanted a Malkin), it would've been like $145 or $149 at a mall or other store, but at the store in the Igloo, they were asking $185.

they're always priced higher at the arenas i think. Avs replicas are $200 at the Pepsi Center, way more than anywhere else. (should be free after this season)

Have you tried checking craigslist? sometimes you can get a lucky catch on there.

It's not that I can't find one, but the selection is horrible. Ideally, I'd like to get the Flyers alternate uni (preferably Richards or Carter). But they are hard to find and stores seem to sell out of them fast (I live in New Jersey). My friend works at a sports store and says they only have Briere's. I wouldn't mind getting a home or road jersey, but again, it's hard to find who I want. I run into a lot of Briere and Biron jerseys. Not a lot of Richards or Carter jerseys, and when I do find them, they're either small or an XL.

Well if you have the ability to find the jerseys at all, no matter what team it is, you can at least try them on to find the size you need. You mention you are in Jersey, I would imagine that many of the sporting goods stores carry Devils jerseys. You may not want to buy a Devils jersey, but the size will be the same as a Flyers jersey. Then you go online and purchase a Flyers jersey from the retailer of your choice.

Well if you have the ability to find the jerseys at all, no matter what team it is, you can at least try them on to find the size you need. You mention you are in Jersey, I would imagine that many of the sporting goods stores carry Devils jerseys. You may not want to buy a Devils jersey, but the size will be the same as a Flyers jersey. Then you go online and purchase a Flyers jersey from the retailer of your choice.

The part of New Jersey I'm in is more of a Flyers area than Devils area. So it's even hard to find those jerseys. I've found one place that had a Devils jersey (Parise, to be exact). But I see your point about trying one on. I'll have to do that and determine my size.

• 2 weeks later...

My jerseys get washed all the time. My wife has a system now to where she just keeps all the jerseys in a pile until there's enough for a full load (and before anyone thinks that it's all sexist of me because my wife does the laundry, it's because -- and married guys should be able to back me up on this -- I'm no longer allowed to do the laundry). She does them in cold water on the gentle cycle, and then the jerseys are either tumble-dried with no heat, or hung up to air-dry.

The problem usually comes up when I'm at the brewpub watching a game and I spill something on me..... <_<

Oh, and turning the jerseys inside out before tossing them into the wash protects the embroidery as well.