Martin Brodeur

With Brodeur tying Patrick Roy for most wins all time and Brodeur is 3 shutouts behind Terry Sawchuk from tying him for the all-time shutout lead, I am curious where people rank Brodeur in their personal ranking of All-Time goalies.

For the longest time, I personally had the opinion of Brodeur was a great goalie who's team defense carried him to the elite status. I mean he did have Niedermayer and Stevens in front of him for all those years. However, looking at the numbers I gotta say Brodeur is definitely one of the greatest to ever play the game and when he is done, how far ahead of the pack will he be when it comes to goalie stats?

With Brodeur tying Patrick Roy for most wins all time and Brodeur is 3 shutouts behind Terry Sawchuk from tying him for the all-time shutout lead, I am curious where people rank Brodeur in their personal ranking of All-Time goalies.

For the longest time, I personally had the opinion of Brodeur was a great goalie who's team defense carried him to the elite status. I mean he did have Niedermayer and Stevens in front of him for all those years. However, looking at the numbers I gotta say Brodeur is definitely one of the greatest to ever play the game and when he is done, how far ahead of the pack will he be when it comes to goalie stats?

In my lifetime, I'd say 1# easily.

For the longest time, I would've said Roy (obviously partially because I was a biased Avs fan). However, Patrick started to drive me nuts in the latter years of his career. I can still remember watching games where he had me yelling at the TV with his play (usually in games 7 of both the 99 and 00 Western Conference Finals series against the Stars and even into the 2001 Finals against New Jersey). I started believing towards the end of his career that his ego was getting in the way more than it should. He'll still remain at the top of the list in my eyes and I think he should, however I believe Martin's surpassed him.

With Martin, what I've been most impressed with was his durability (up until this year of course) and how he always managed to have the Devils at or near the top of the Atlantic Division standings EVERY YEAR. I'm going off of the top of my head, but I believe that the Devils have only missed the playoffs ONCE in his entire career with the team, that being the 95-96 season. I looked at his stats on the back of one of his recent hockey cards and noticed that his wins have always hovered in the 30-40 range. Here's his hockeydb.com link, http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=587. His lowest wins total since 95-96 is 34. He hit 48 wins in 06-07. The system could have played a part, but even after the lockout and losing Niedermayer, Stevens, and Daneyko, he was still putting up great numbers. His return from his recent injury was nothing short of impressive, didn't he allow like 2 goals in 3 games? I believe I read in SI once, that Martin has never changed the size of his pads, when that has become an issue in recent years. I have him pegged to win at least one more Cup in his career.

To me, in the time I've been watching hockey (90-09), its:

1.) Brodeur NJ

2.) Roy Mtl/Col

3.) I'd have to say Hasek/Belfour tied here.

As for in hockey history, I think you HAVE to consider Martin up at the top (if not tied). As the players have gotten bigger, better, and faster, his game is still pretty solid. I would have to study up on Sawchuk more to offer more of an opinion on him. One of the fascinating parts of an argument like this is how much the overall game has changed over the sport's lifetime.

I gotta give it to Martha -err, Marty. Although it pains me somewhat to say it, he's definitely the best in my lifetime as far as I've seen. He's a still a workhorse despite how long he's been in the league. Unlike some others (Roy) he doesn't really seem to have the ego problems or need constant reassurance.

I gotta give it to Martha -err, Marty. Although it pains me somewhat to say it, he's definitely the best in my lifetime as far as I've seen. He's a still a workhorse despite how long he's been in the league. Unlike some others (Roy) he doesn't really seem to have the ego problems or need constant reassurance.

I think that is a key component with Brodeur, he does is quietly. He doesn't force his way into the spotlight, he goes out, plays hockey, and goes home.

The guy pretty much started out as a great too, I remember his rookie year when Buffalo played New Jersey in the playoffs. Him and Hasek had a great performance as it was 0-0 into the 3rd OT, Sabres got to Brodeur in that 3rd OT, but he was already starting to show what would be around for many years to come.

I'll never forget the round the Devils gave the Rangers in the 94 playoffs and nearly won the series. Once the 94 season ended, I knew the Devils would be in the Finals next year and would probably win it. I had the Blues-Devils for the 95 Cup, and was 1/2 right. It was impressive watching him and the Devils sweep the Red Wings. As much as I loved to watch Patrick Roy, it started becoming evident with me as the seasons rolled on that his best days were/had come to a close. I seem to recall the Kings giving the Avs fits in the 01 playoffs. I knew they'd win one more Cup with Roy, but he seemed like he was becoming his own worst enemy. I don't get that feeling with Martin. Like you were saying Lafountain, he does it quietly.

And as of today, Martin Brodeur is the winningest Goaltender in the history of the NHL.

He has taken 987 games to get to 552 wins. Roy took 1029 games to get to his 551.

Brodeur at age 36 should easily surpass the 600 win total.

And as of today, Martin Brodeur is the winningest Goaltender in the history of the NHL.

He has taken 987 games to get to 552 wins. Roy took 1029 games to get to his 551.

Brodeur at age 36 should easily surpass the 600 win total.

Heck, its not unfathomable if he stays healthy and plays until he's forty that he could see 700 wins. I think he'll get 600 next season easily.

Martin Brodeur sets the all time wins record so his rookie jersey gets a day out in the sun.

2144296360100337552S425x425Q85.jpg 2179031480100337552S425x425Q85.jpg

• 1 month later...

And now we can add Playoff Shutouts to the record book as he tied Patrick Roy with 23 career playoff shutouts for the most all-time.

• 7 months later...

With tonights unfortunate win over the Sabres, Martin Brodeur has tied the all-time mark for shutouts in a career. When all is said and done is there any goaltending record this guy won't own?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't care how many wins, shutouts, ties, shootout wins that Brodeur has.

Roy will always be my #1

You could say that the system New Jersey has helped Brodeur out, but regardless, to pull in the stats Marty has, he is great, and I will even say it as a Flyers fan.