1996 blue World Cup customizing options

JeffB

I was able to get a rare 1996 USA hockey blue road jersey. I don't think these were ever sold at retail. The one I'm expecting is a size 54 with a fight strap.

4307_1.jpg4516_1.jpg

So here's the problem. John LeClair wore #10 during the World Cup and Amonte wore #11.

Something has to change here. I can change the nameplate and make it into a LeClair. I don't think changing it into a #11 jersey is going to be workable beacuse of the spacing between the digits. Either everything is going to be shifted too far right if I leave the proper amount of spacing between the digits or notably spaced to far apart if the digits are centered on the jersey. Hopefully you can picture that.

Now, looking over the roster I do seem to have other choices. I could change it into another number in the teens, like #15 Hull, #16 Lafontaine or perhaps #17 Tkachuk. Both 15 and 16 would cover nearly any evidence of the original "0" that would be removed and would not affect the centering and spacing of the numbering. There wouldn't be any issues with changing names as long as the new nameplate is the proper length to hide evidence of the old one regardless of the name chosen.

Amonte did score the game winning goal in the deciding game, but was wearing white at the time. Hull (11 pts), followed by LeClair (10 pts) were the two leading scorers for the USA in the tournament.

I'm hesitant to go much farther than that in stripping it. I'd love to consider a Richter #35, but fear evidence of the original numbers being visible.

So, those are my choices it seems

#10 LeClair

#11 Amonte

#15 Hull

#16 Lafontaine

or possibly

#17 Tkachuk "A"

#35 Richter if stripping it went perfectly.

Glad that one went to a good home. I was bidding on it, hoping it'd stay low due to the numbering issue. The part I enjoyed was the seller claiming that it might be "game worn" - yet it had the wrong name/number.

My plans for it were similar to what you described. My overall goal was to try to get it to be a Richter or Leetch - yet I was worried that the 35 or the 2 wouldn't cover the residue from the 10 due to centering issues as you mentioned. My backup plan was to make it a Leclair - that being the easiest change. I couldn't tell from the picture if it had a name plate - if so that makes it very easy.

dont risk anything crazy. just do the nameplate change. i had a blue leetch a while back. they did sell these, but most people hated the design so they did not sell many. and they were sold on a limited basis. anyway; the right place could strip this and you would probably be happy. i would just keep it simple and cheap with no risk. its still worth a ton no matter who is on it (as long as the number matches what the player wore:)

Wow, nice pick up...Where did you get it Jeff? And what did it run you? I would go with Hull or Lafontaine.

Wow, nice pick up...Where did you get it Jeff? And what did it run you? I would go with Hull or Lafontaine.

Jeff got a good deal on it (in my opinion):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=250328407447

Jeff got a good deal on it (in my opinion):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=250328407447

Yes, he did. Nice pick up.

Well since they are two of my favorite players of all-time I would go either the LaFontaine or LeClair route.

Dmac, I would probably have jumped on that LaFontaine if it was smaller than a 54.