AHL Milwaukee Admirals-Uggh!

I just saw in person the worst jersey I have ever seen in over 20 years of attending NHL, AHL, IHL, CHL, OHL, NAHL, and NCAA hockey, the road Milwaukee Admirals. Words can really not describe how awful this "jersey" is. It's not just the controversial skeleton logo. It's the colors, especially the lettering. Blue outlined on black on a dark gray jersey is difficult to make out the names from 4 rows away, it has to be awful for broadcasters. Overall, it is a rag, IMO. The picture just doesn't do justice to how bad this thing is in person. They wear the old Brewers "dog paw" logo as a patch on the front, adding a little yellow and brown to this atrocity. And the jersey that they replaced this with was very classy.

4cdf196b3e9d547e91c00ff52d933126_20.jpg

I'm not quite sure what I make of gray as a main color on a jersey. I'd like to see it if the trim was gray and blue made the primary color. The blue and black color schemes usually look pretty good to me when placed together (I really dig the Mavs color scheme in the NBA and the Carolina Panthers NFL jerseys are amongst my favorites). However, I'm not too sure on this one. Their last jersey, or at least the one I remember from the IHL days, circa 1998-99, was very sharp. That logo is..."creative".

I actually really like it. Then again I really like grey and/or silver as a primary jersey color. Perhaps my favorite jersey of all time was grey:

img6154438.jpg

I loved the Ohio State 3rd grey hockey jerseys. I love the NE Patriots 3rd silver jersey (and I'm not a Patriots fan).

The only thing I don't like is the two color names on the Milwaukee jerseys - I think they should do 3-color like the numbers or atleast use white as the second color on the names instead of the light blue. Also those socks are atrocious.

643f6447505a1f9646fa0feb512181fe.500.jpg

d635c89764d1a88be9012e06ed223690.500.jpg

As for the skeleton logo - I really like it. I definitely like it more than the old logo they had.

Thanks for posting those pictures, akteon. I did forget to mention how awful those socks are. The front view is even worse than what is in those pictures. So, thanks(?) for reminding me. ;) It's not the logo as much, but the overall presentation. See how the names do not stand out on the player's backs and are difficult to read? Maybe white lettering, or something, but that is just bad. The overall presentation, especially in person, is just mind-bogglingly bad. That's my opinion, and before seeing it in person, I didn't feel this way. And I like unique logos. That must explain the bag of original Coyotes' jerseys that I own.

I understand exactly what you're saying about the "overall presentation" - the horrible socks combined with the bad color choice on the names definitely take a toll on the style. Also I agree that nothing beats seeing something in person - all I've seen so far is some pictures - so I don't doubt that I might have the exact same reaction as you did if I saw them live.

I really just meant that from what I've seen I like what they are going for - even though it seems like they may have fallen short. I like the skull mascot because frankly as a minor league team you do need to stand out a bit - not to mention there's already another team named Admirals in the same league. I think going with the skeleton/pirate thing was a good move especially doing it in such a cartoony way as to still be very family friendly. I know my 2 nephews and my goddaughter, who are all under the age of 8, love them some pirates - apparently it's the new thing.

All in all I think it's fun to discuss the merits of some of these "riskier" design choices in jerseys.

Haha... the Admirals jersey is actually one of my two or three favorites in the minors. Its funny how one person can think its brutal and another can love it. Thats what makes jersey collecting so fun, for me at least.

I understand exactly what you're saying about the "overall presentation" - the horrible socks combined with the bad color choice on the names definitely take a toll on the style. Also I agree that nothing beats seeing something in person - all I've seen so far is some pictures - so I don't doubt that I might have the exact same reaction as you did if I saw them live.

I really just meant that from what I've seen I like what they are going for - even though it seems like they may have fallen short. I like the skull mascot because frankly as a minor league team you do need to stand out a bit - not to mention there's already another team named Admirals in the same league. I think going with the skeleton/pirate thing was a good move especially doing it in such a cartoony way as to still be very family friendly. I know my 2 nephews and my goddaughter, who are all under the age of 8, love them some pirates - apparently it's the new thing.

All in all I think it's fun to discuss the merits of some of these "riskier" design choices in jerseys.

It was seeing three things that turned the tide-letters, socks, and Milwaukee Brewers' "dog paw" patch. When mixed together, a bad combo. I don't hate the logo, I just would have liked to see it on a better looking uniform layout. That's one jersey that should never be customized. Awful lettering.

BTW-the Admirals/Admirals thing is funny. Yes, when Milwaukee joined the "A" in 2001 there already was an Admirals, so that's been around awhile. But we just had the Norfolk Ads here (Cleveland) on Friday, then the Milwaukee Ads the following Wednesday. Try explaining that to hockey novices.

643f6447505a1f9646fa0feb512181fe.500.jpg

I went to a pair of Admirals games last year and saw some of the grey ones in the stands and I believe the first incarnation of this jersey was even worse, lacking the white trim around the numbers. I don't have access to any photos, but my first reaction was how dreadful the lettering colors were for such an unconventional color choice, one I'm not a fan of to begin with.

• 2 years later...

Bringing this post back from the dead because I'm bored...

Yeah the first variation of the road grays had black numbers without white trim on the back and "ice blue" numbers on the black sleeves. The radio announcers complained that they could not see the numbers easily from the press box. So the following year they changed them to what they had until this current year when the gray was eliminated for the use of a black road jersey because THAT hasn't been done before.

And the Brewers logo is on the jersey because Brewers owner Mark Attanasio and former Brewers pitcher Ben Sheets are owners in the team.

The black is much better than the grey. But the blue thirds are awful, especially in person. I saw them twice in November play in those jerseys and socks and I thought it was horrible. Just an opinion.

Yeah, I'm not a real big fan of the blue jersey either. I'm just a big anti-BFBS guy. Yeah, I guess we can say black is part of the "scheme" but it's still dumb to me. And I guess the gray was never part of the actual "scheme" either and thus makes it silly to have a jersey based off a non-color. It was different though, it just could've been executed better. Easily the team's worst main jersey combos since they've been around.

Funny, I've always thought the Admiral's jerseys were among the best when they redid everything a few years ago. I may not be a fan of the baby blue alternates, but I love the alternate logo. Wish they sold authentics at retail. Or wish I could find a gamer for under $400.

The Brewers logo isn't a "dog paw" haha, it's a baseball glove. The Brewers glove logo actually spells out "MB" for the Milwaukee Brewers...the fingers being the "M" and the thumb and palm being the "B".

I personally love those jerseys, and wish they didn't sell for so much (gamers that is). The only thing I don't care for much is the cartoonish skeleton logo.

I don't know if any of you've looked on their store lately, but they are offering Gamers and other blank "game ready" jerseys.

Admirals Gamers