90's Starter Mesh Jerseys

akteon

Were the Rangers, Avalanche, and Blues the only teams who wore Starter mesh jerseys in the late 90's?

I know the following teams wore Starter during that period:

Boston, Colorado, Florida, Hartford, Los Angeles, Montreal, NY Rangers, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, & St. Louis

Also, I know that the 99-00 ProPlayer Colorado jersey was mesh, were they the only team who had mesh ProPlayer jerseys?

(I know the Rangers ProPlayer jerseys were knit)

Thanks for any input.

The Penguins wore Starter air-knit for the first half of the 1996-97 season, then went to mesh for the second half and then I THINK they went back to the air-knit afterwards for 97-98 and 98-99. Carolina wore the Starters after moving from Hartford too. Those ones are nice. I love the way those Starter air-knits feel. They're so soft yet pretty heavy at the same time.

As far as the Pro Player ones, I'm pretty sure the Avs were the only ones who wore the mesh jerseys that year. Pro Player took over some different teams for 1999-2000 too. I'm almost positive they had Anaheim, Boston, Buffalo, Calgary, Chicago, Colorado, Edmonton, Florida, Montreal, New Jersey, NY Rangers, Phoenix and Pittsburgh.

The Penguins wore Starter air-knit for the first half of the 1996-97 season, then went to mesh for the second half and then I THINK they went back to the air-knit afterwards for 97-98 and 98-99...

Good to know about the Pens. I swore I had seen a Pens mesh Starter at some point, but when I looked last night all I found was knit Starters.

I do agree that the Starter knits were good - I like them quite a bit (I like the ProPlayer knits best) but for me nothing beats the nylon mesh Starters - even the CCM/Maska mesh.

Yeah, the Starter mesh was nice and smooth and felt cooler on the skin. The CCM ones, while nice, were heavier and rougher. In fact, I'm wearing my Rangers Liberty 3rd Starter jersey to Opening Night tonight. It's too warm out for anything else. Last year I think I wore a CCM mesh one and I sweated my arse off.

The Penguins wore Starter air-knit for the first half of the 1996-97 season, then went to mesh for the second half and then I THINK they went back to the air-knit afterwards for 97-98 and 98-99. Carolina wore the Starters after moving from Hartford too. Those ones are nice. I love the way those Starter air-knits feel. They're so soft yet pretty heavy at the same time.

As far as the Pro Player ones, I'm pretty sure the Avs were the only ones who wore the mesh jerseys that year. Pro Player took over some different teams for 1999-2000 too. I'm almost positive they had Anaheim, Boston, Buffalo, Calgary, Chicago, Colorado, Edmonton, Florida, Montreal, New Jersey, NY Rangers, Phoenix and Pittsburgh.

Don't forget that Pro Player made authentics that were never worn for Minnesota (white only), and Columbus. I love those jerseys. Glad I have 'em.

And the Starter authentic NYR third mesh is still one of my favorites.

Don't forget that Pro Player made authentics that were never worn for Minnesota (white only), and Columbus. I love those jerseys. Glad I have 'em.

Is that right? I didn't know that. When were they released? Summer of 2000?

Is that right? I didn't know that. When were they released? Summer of 2000?

CBJ was fall 1999, and Wild white was early 2000. By the summer of 2000, Pro Player was history, more or less.

Did they only make Thrashers replicas? I have seen quite a few Pro Player Thrashers replicas, but don't think I have seen an authentic and I know they never wore Pro Player.

Did they only make Thrashers replicas? I have seen quite a few Pro Player Thrashers replicas, but don't think I have seen an authentic and I know they never wore Pro Player.

Yes - it's my understanding that ALL replicas for all teams made in 99-00 were made by ProPlayer. The authentics were still split between CCM and ProPlayer for that one year, but that's why you can find a ProPlayer replica of a team that wore CCM authentics.

I know I'm not the first person to say this, but the ProPlayer replicas are the absolute best replicas ever. I picked a couple up based on someone else's recommendation and I was amazed at the quality for a replica.

Yes - it's my understanding that ALL replicas for all teams made in 99-00 were made by ProPlayer. The authentics were still split between CCM and ProPlayer for that one year, but that's why you can find a ProPlayer replica of a team that wore CCM authentics.

I know I'm not the first person to say this, but the ProPlayer replicas are the absolute best replicas ever. I picked a couple up based on someone else's recommendation and I was amazed at the quality for a replica.

Pro Player authentics are excellent, also. If anyone ever has the opportunity to pick one up, I highly recommend it. Shame that they only lasted one year. But I'm lucky that, just as when Starter went under, Value City bought the Pro Player inventory and I was able to buy quite a few, mostly replicas, for cheap. Their replicas put the CCM 550's of that year to shame.

CBJ was fall 1999, and Wild white was early 2000. By the summer of 2000, Pro Player was history, more or less.

First off I agree with the quality of the Pro Player jerseys. I have both a replicas and an authentic, and they are by far the nicest jerseys I've owned, but I have never seen the Starter mesh up close.

As for the Wild, anyone else remember the initial jerseys for them you could buy from the NHL catalogue "HOT OFF THE ICE!" or whatever super-90s name it had? I don't remember the stripes, but it had the Wild script logo on a fairly plain jersey (both white and green), and not the animal with the nature scene. IIRC it was never intended to be worn, more of a way to make money until an official logo/jersey was finished.

First off I agree with the quality of the Pro Player jerseys. I have both a replicas and an authentic, and they are by far the nicest jerseys I've owned, but I have never seen the Starter mesh up close.

As for the Wild, anyone else remember the initial jerseys for them you could buy from the NHL catalogue "HOT OFF THE ICE!" or whatever super-90s name it had? I don't remember the stripes, but it had the Wild script logo on a fairly plain jersey (both white and green), and not the animal with the nature scene. IIRC it was never intended to be worn, more of a way to make money until an official logo/jersey was finished.

IIRC, the reason for that may have been because the "animal" logo was not introduced until early 2000, when it showed up on the white jersey. The green jersey was not introduced at that time, and to my knowledge, was never produced by Pro Player. The "animal" log came as quite a surprise to a lot of people. I vaugely remember the picture that you are refering to. The NHL and their marketing maybe wanted something to sell at Christmas 1999 for the Wild. The CBJ, on the other hand, introduced their jerseys a full year before they hit the ice, in October, 1999. They had a big unveiling at a local Columbus mall with Mike Emrick MC'ing. Both home and road were introduced.

Edit: if you look at the original Pro Player Wild home replica, the green in the shoulder is a lighter shade than what was used on the authentics, and the CCM replicas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now which jerseys are which in the Starter Brand?

I have two Islander Fisherman and one Tampa Bay replicas that are really light weight and made of a different material. Then i have multiple Starter jerseys of the heavier better quality material.

• 3 months later...

And the Starter authentic NYR third mesh is still one of my favorites.

That is an awesome looking jersey. How is the durability of them though?