Starter Jersey questions

Saint Louis Blues

What "weights" did the Starter Jerseys come in? Was there a replica (like the CCM 550) and also a game weight (CCM 6100 series) and how would you tell them apart?

I know that the sizes were s, m, l, xl for the replicas and numbered for the gamers (48, 52, 54 etc)

Is there a way to tell on the tagging of the neck if it's a game weight or just a replica?

Circa would be around the mid 90's, the slash cut Blues jersey with the diagonal stripes with the left number shorter than the right number on the back.

Thanks in advance yet again,

D.

Well, obviously, since we're talking about replicas and authentics, there's gonna be a difference in weight since authentics include extra stitching, extra fabric, more layers of twill and the fight strap. Starter made 46, 48, 52 and 54 available to the public as far as I know. I've never seen a 56-R available from retail but I could be wrong. As for the tags, here's some examples:

Replica tags:

starterrep-vi.jpg

I'm almost positive that they weren't ALL made in Korea.

Authentic tags from 1995-96:

starterauth1-vi.jpg

The only team to wear these jerseys were the Avalanche. The logo on the hem was different too. It was the S-star logo and NHL shield inside a rectangular box.

Authentic tags from 1996-97:

starterauth-vi.jpg

Authentic tags from 1997-98 and 1998-99:

starterauth2-vi.jpg

There were different jerseys assembled in different countries too. I can't remember the other ones besides El Salvador but there were others. Also, it's funny you should ask about that Starter Blues jersey too because I had one that I was selling about six weeks ago but somebody bought it on eBay. D-OH!

3f89_1.JPG

Thanks yet again, you have chosen the perfect screen name as you are indeed "Brilliant" when it comes to the Jerseys.

What are your thoughts on this one above, the smaller tag has been accidentally sewn into the name and tucked under the Authentic tag. It has the size 52 tag, but is it a fake that someone added the numbered size tag to?

I've been trying to get a photo of the hidden white tag (it's tucked under the authentic collection tag) to see if it's legit or not, but no luck.

Thanks again,

D.

That actually looks like an authentic CCM jersey. The white tag was sewn over, which does happen every now and then but it does look authentic. The size tag looks genuine and you can clearly see where the white tag says MAN like the old CCM tags said. Is that a white Blues jersey? That's strange because I thought they used nameplates on their jerseys of that era.

That actually looks like an authentic CCM jersey. The white tag was sewn over, which does happen every now and then but it does look authentic. The size tag looks genuine and you can clearly see where the white tag says MAN like the old CCM tags said. Is that a white Blues jersey? That's strange because I thought they used nameplates on their jerseys of that era.

Whoops that one was the wrong one, it was this one:

7f26_1.JPG

I had an old Starter in that style. What did the team actually use, CCM or Starter for those years? I had assumed that they wore Starter as that was what the majority of the "replica" jerseys were.

Also any info on the nameplate for that style, pics or other info to point me in right direction?

I had an old Starter in that style. What did the team actually use, CCM or Starter for those years? I had assumed that they wore Starter as that was what the majority of the "replica" jerseys were.

Also any info on the nameplate for that style, pics or other info to point me in right direction?

This is the site you need to go to in order to see who wore what when. It should also indicate if there was a nameplate used or not.

http://nhluniforms.com/

94-95 to 96-97 CCM

97-98 Starter

nameplates were used in all years

Yeah, that one looks good. I had the same version only in road blue. The tags should look the same as the 96-97 tags. HOWEVER, I think I remember someone telling me that these jerseys were retailed authentics but not used by the team because the Blues wore CCM's in 1996-97.

Yeah it looks like they all had nameplates. The one I found does not, the letters are individually sewn onto the jersey itself. It would seem to be an almost impossible task to remove all the letters and then have them sewn onto a nameplate and then put back on? I guess the cheating way would be to just sew a rectangle around the name so it looks like a nameplate from a distance, but that kind of doesn't make it "Authentic". I may have to pass on it, it's close but not what I am looking for as far as "Authentic" and it would bug me.

Any idea of how much it would cost to remove the name and put a nameplate on it the right way?

Thanks again guys, and thanks for the link to the Jersey info site above.

D.

Yeah it looks like they all had nameplates. The one I found does not, the letters are individually sewn onto the jersey itself. It would seem to be an almost impossible task to remove all the letters and then have them sewn onto a nameplate and then put back on? I guess the cheating way would be to just sew a rectangle around the name so it looks like a nameplate from a distance, but that kind of doesn't make it "Authentic". I may have to pass on it, it's close but not what I am looking for as far as "Authentic" and it would bug me.

Any idea of how much it would cost to remove the name and put a nameplate on it the right way?

Thanks again guys, and thanks for the link to the Jersey info site above.

D.

I contacted Exclusive Pro a while back about having the letters removed and having a nameplate attached with the name a while back and the quote they gave me was $40. Here is what I was told in the email I sent back then.

"It is $20 to remove all of the letters, and $20 for the new plate."

Well I have a blank home (white) Starter 97-98 size 54-R Authentic Jersey that will be coming in the mail in the next week or so. Thanks for all the help guys, just have to figure out who to tag it as. I'll have to scan the roster and see who all was still around as it was the Keenan Era.

Brilliant - wish I had known about the road jersey you sold, I was in the process of moving from Richmond VA to STL the end of July and first week of August. Oh well, I'll find one somewhere.

I'd like to add a couple things since we're on one of my favorite subjects, Starter jerseys! Brilliant wasn't sure about size 56, yes, 56 was sold to retail. I have a Tkachuk Coyotes 56, a retail El Salvador with the smaller-pointed shoulders. I remember seeing a lot of 56's when they were on close-out, but I was concentrating on 52 and 54. I also have a Hurricanes 56 I bought at the Hockey Hall Of Fame in Toronto.

One unique aspect of the way that Starter sold jerseys, authentic and replica, was that they often sold blank jerseys with nameplates attached to the tags.

I always wondered about that. I have one Starter replica new with tags that came with a name plate and I'd never seen another sold that way.