Automatic Icing?

Its been mentioned by Cherry numerous times on HNIC and brought up again over at Fanhaus today after the Kurtis Foster injury. What are your guys thoughts about it? Personally I like the idea of a guy outskating everyone else to nullify the icing but I don't like the injuries. I guess, keep it the way it is in the NHL (college has no touch).

Yes, yes, yes. A thousand times yes for no touch icing. For the one in 250 chance you can nullify the icing, it's not worth watch guys get slammed into the boards with broken bones and concussions. Why the players union puts up with that rule, I'll never understand.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hnic/coach...add_notouc.html

I'd like to see something like an automatic icing call if it is clear that the player will touch it, or if it looks to be a close fight for the puck. If the other team is trying to negate the icing though and has a clear lane to the puck, I think that there should not be no-touch icing and the linesmen let it go. I know...another discretionary rule :)

I'd like to see something like an automatic icing call if it is clear that the player will touch it, or if it looks to be a close fight for the puck. If the other team is trying to negate the icing though and has a clear lane to the puck, I think that there should not be no-touch icing and the linesmen let it go. I know...another discretionary rule :)

The USHL has a hybrid model. Has anyone seen the games to see how it makes the game flow? Here is the description below:

The best way to describe our new procedure is to call it an attainable touch icing. It's the same as possession (touch) icing except it addresses any perceived danger that could come with a collision as two players race for the puck," Brand said. Once the puck crosses the goal line the linesman will make a determination by the end zone face-off dot which player would have touched the puck first.