Working with Tackle Twill

benpc21

I recently decided I needed an Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights jersey when they announced they were folding and I heard you could get them cheap. After calling all the Calgary Flames team stores (their parent club) and EVERY sporting good store in Omaha Nebraksa (ka-sar-ben is Nebraska spelled backward, fyi) I ended up with no luck. I'm still waiting for an email back from my lost posibility of finding one, but I'm thinking I am gonna have to take matters into my own hands on this project. Now the jersey is just the Calgary Flames uncrested red jersey, which I can order from icejereys at a later date. Making the crest is where the problem is. In my head it seems like making a crest of out twill wouldn't be that hard. I figure print out the logo, blow it up to the right size, trace, cut, gule, sew, like a really cool puzzle. Basically, I feel like if I did this out of construction paper, I could handle the project no problem, its when you bring the twill into that I get concerned. I realize it wont be that easy, but I think its is pretty plausable. I wont be doing the letteres, just the helmet as it appears on the jerseys. What is your take? Is twill an easy material to cut with an X-ACTO knife and will that cause it to fray? Can you buy twill with the glue on the back like how patches come to add to your jersey? Any insight or ideas would be apprecaited.

200px-Omaha_knights.gif

untitleomahaknights.jpg

I have experience working with twill and made a couple of crests. Once I made a 82-83 Penguins crest, hand cut. That was my most difficult project so I guess the Knights crest wouldn't be a problem. You just have to figure out how keep it thin and not using 6 layers or so, that would make the crest pretty heavy and stiff.

But I´m pretty sure that "All Canadian Emblem" can help you with this crest. Maybe IJ can order it for you from there because their not selling to private persons.

Thanks for the info. I had been able to get it down to 3 layers at the most in my head. I'll give the emblem place a call tomorrow, you think they have the crest I am looking for or would I have to get it custom made, I couldn't really tell from the site?

Thanks for the info. I had been able to get it down to 3 layers at the most in my head. I'll give the emblem place a call tomorrow, you think they have the crest I am looking for or would I have to get it custom made, I couldn't really tell from the site?

I think they´re custom made. Give some info after the call.

I'm also down to 3 layers and up to 5 with the red parts on top of the helmet

I was at the same place when I first had this crazy idea, I think I've managed to get it down to 3 all the way around. Using techniques on my Washigton Capitals jersey, I think it is possible. My plan is to make the black the base, and cut it to the size to cover everything. The the yellow and white outlines can be applied like the gold and white from the name on my caps jersey. This then gives me the option of either doing the silver and white on the same "layer" or being able to do silver with white on top which puts us at 3 layers again. Finally the red can be applied on top of the black and the maroonish color on top of that where necessary.

DSCF0071.jpg

If money isn't an option you could get a gameworn from meigray. Here is a link to their Omaha Jerseys LINK

Their AHL jersey's are also on sale now. 50% off 05-06 jerseys and 25% off 06-07 jerseys.

Thanks for the link, I thought about that, but they don't have the player I'm looking for, which is Richie Regehr. As much as I want the jersey, I'm almost more excited by the idea of trying to pull this off myself. I've always been hands on, and this kind of thing is right up my alley. Just trying to find the best way to go about it.

DSCF0071.jpg

Is this a game worn jersey? That´s how Cutting Edge Sports make their lettering. I´ve seen it that way on older Bolts jerseys, Panthers, Preds, Avalanche and also Canucks jersey. I´m cutting the lettering kits for my jerseys the same way if the teams wore it like that.

Thanks for the link, I thought about that, but they don't have the player I'm looking for, which is Richie Regehr. As much as I want the jersey, I'm almost more excited by the idea of trying to pull this off myself. I've always been hands on, and this kind of thing is right up my alley. Just trying to find the best way to go about it.

Good Luck to you. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Victim: No its just a replica my dad got me at Modell's in Washington when he was there on business. I though it was kinda cool how they did that lettering, the numbering is the same idea too, but it seems a waste to "hollow out" the letters rather than stack them up like most teams do. You have any pics of the other teams you mentioned, I'm curious to see how they've done it, as I've only see this on a Caps jerey before. I'll have to wait till monday to call the emblem place, I have to run to work where I dont have a computer. I'll let you guys know what I find.

Stanley: Thanks, I hope to have it done this summer, but with worth and the guitar I am painting I'm not sure if it will happen or not. I hope so, but we'll see.

Wow, I didnt realize that many teams did it that way. Would say its easier to harder to sew it when the do the outlines like the Capitals compared to 3 layers one on top of the other?

Wow, I didnt realize that many teams did it that way. Would say its easier to harder to sew it when the do the outlines like the Capitals compared to 3 layers one on top of the other?

Sorry, but I don't understand the question :unsure:

What I was trying to say was, is it easier to sew the letters/numbers when they are traditional" where the base layer is the biggest, 2nd a bit smaller, and 3rd smallest vesus the way the those select teams do it where the have a large base and then two "cutouts" that are place around the base?

What I was trying to say was, is it easier to sew the letters/numbers when they are traditional" where the base layer is the biggest, 2nd a bit smaller, and 3rd smallest vesus the way the those select teams do it where the have a large base and then two "cutouts" that are place around the base?

I´d say it's easier the "traditional" way. But if you want your lettering to look like the ones on the game worns, why not doing this extra work if it'S necessary. I want my lettering to look like that, that's way I cut them all by myself using photo copies of the lettering from game worn jerseys. I made my Lecavalier lettering look like that.

I agree, the reason why I am asking, is picked up a Panthers jersey for $2 on ebay, and figured its expendable enough to try lettering myself. I'm looking to order a loose lettering kit and have at it, but I'm a little more hesitant afer seeing florida uses that style.

...but I'm a little more hesitant afer seeing florida uses that style.

I don't know sonce when the Panthers get their jerseys done by Cutting Edge. Maybe the seasons before that , they might have had regular 3 layered lettering on their jerseys.

I also forgot to mention that the sleeve numbers on my Senators GW McEachern jersey are done the same way

I was surfing the nety this morning and I came across this for you if your interested: Omaha Jersey They have some red and white jerseys in stock depending on your size. They are very reputable I've bought many things from them in the past.

Thanks for the link, I had already come across them, as not only do I play hockey, but live with 4 other hockey players, and just about every two weeks, some one is getting some thing from there. I'm pretty sure we have put their kids thought college! I thought about getting the white one, but I can't justify the price when what I want is the red. I think I'm going to have to do it myself. After going to my local fabric store, they don't have tackle twill, or the exact right colors. Any one know a place you can get small amounts (about 12-16 inches wide?) Ive looked on Google, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks for the link, I had already come across them, as not only do I play hockey, but live with 4 other hockey players, and just about every two weeks, some one is getting some thing from there. I'm pretty sure we have put their kids thought college! I thought about getting the white one, but I can't justify the price when what I want is the red. I think I'm going to have to do it myself. After going to my local fabric store, they don't have tackle twill, or the exact right colors. Any one know a place you can get small amounts (about 12-16 inches wide?) Ive looked on Google, but didn't find what I was looking for.

try www.stahls.com or www.twillusa.com

Yeah I got some cheap jackets and shirts from them a few weeks ago.

• 4 months later...

Hey, interesting you should bring this up today. I actually never got round to this project, as I have been at school and my course load was more than I anticipated. Yesterday an ebay package arrived for me, which contained the crest in question and one of the two shoulder patches (the AK one, not the Flames). I found a guy on ebay who had a stockpile of them and I was able to go about it the easy way. I am excited I got what was looking for, but I still want to try and replicate a crest with twill, I might just have to wait for another occasion.

• 3 years later...