How to remove "shadow" from white acrylic/wool sweater?

I have hit a snag in the form of a very prominent shadow while stripping the felt number 3 off the back of a white 1967-68 Pittsburgh Penguins replica sweater.

The jersey is about 15 years old, an Ebbets Field Flannels 70% acrylic and 30% wool blend that I purchased about two years ago. I have not attempted to take the felt letters off the front, but I have no reason to believe that there won't be shadows there also.

The vendor doing the stripping took the sweater to two different dry cleaners, but both passed on the job, not wanting to risk harming the sweater's delicate weave. The vendor doesn't want the job either, so he's returning the jersey to me.

I'm not sure I want to get into this myself. But, if I do what would be the best method to remove the shadow(s)? The base jersey is very nice and I don't want to mess this one up, which I'm perfectly capable of doing. Finding Columbia blue felt that matches the color of the strips on the jersey has also been a problem. But, first things first.

I suppose I could always just replace the felt number and letters with twill of the same size. But, my original plan was to change to a No. 20 and the letters, Pittsburgh, on the front need to be slightly larger and positioned a little differently.

Which all means, I need to tackle the shadow problem first. Any suggestions on how best to remove the shadow(s) will be greatly appreciated.

The first picture, of the actual shadow, was taken with a cell phone so the jersey appears to be dirty, which it is not. You can see that in the second picture with the No. 3 still attached.

b8c82aee.png4b5af2c1.jpg

Have you tried anything yet? If not, place an old t-shirt over top and lightly iron through the shirt. That would be where I would start on wool/acrylic.

I haven't done anything -- yet.

After ironing, what would you suggest? What kind of clean substance(s) would you suggest?

nothing at all, just put the t-shirt between the jersey and the iron and a lot of the junk should stick to the shirt and just dissapte, it should look a lot better pretty much instantly. maybe use a little steam with it but not too hot and keep the iron moving.

also for more sensitive stuff like that, maybe try some of this palmolive clear dish soap, i found it works nice for more gental materials and is a little thicker so you can spot target. There are a few brands of soap like this but any grocery store should have something similar. you can put some around the marks and rub lightly with the tip of your finger and some water. do this after ironing the first time or two. i bet with just a litle time you can get that cleaned up a decent amount.

palmolive_free_and_clear.jpg

I will give it a try. Thanks for the tips.