Stripping a letter off a jersey question

Edge 2pointzero

So, I buy this Sakic Edge authentic for a GREAT deal, I figure because they screwed up and put the "C" in the wrong spot.

imagejpeg_2.jpg

Now a buddy of mine(I do NOT have the patience) spent about an hour per layer here taking these off.

And we find out why...its hiding a small hole in the jersey....wonderful.

But my question is this: what do I use to remove the glue residue from under the main layer? it basically kept the shape of the "C" of course.

I aploogize if this is posted elsewhere, but I dont want to just wash it and try to remove it blind. I am curious to see what you guys use for this.

Thanks guys

I know Mike (Brilliant) uses Goof Off to get glue residue out of a jersey, but too much of that can discolor the jersey. I'm no expert, but if the one on the right is the residue, I'm guessing you'e gonna have to use way too much of that stuff and risk ruining the jersey. You're probably screwed.

I know Mike (Brilliant) uses Goof Off to get glue residue out of a jersey, but too much of that can discolor the jersey. I'm no expert, but if the one on the right is the residue, I'm guessing you'e gonna have to use way too much of that stuff and risk ruining the jersey. You're probably screwed.

Its not, that was just the bottom layer sitting there. Its just a glue like substance underneath.

Nice placement on the "C" huh? that bottom layer pic was still sewn when this photo was taken.

DO NOT use Goof-Off on an EDGE jersey. I've been told from several others that it will stain the material.

Unfortunately, you might be boned on this one. Can you take a shot of the residue underneath?

DO NOT use Goof-Off on an EDGE jersey. I've been told from several others that it will stain the material.

Unfortunately, you might be boned on this one. Can you take a shot of the residue underneath?

Heh. I knew you used the stuff, but I didn't know that about the EDGE jerseys. That's definitely good to know if I ever get one, but something tells me he's never getting the residue out. What else takes glue residue out?

I've used Goof Off on Edge jerseys and it will cause the X-trafil (front and shoulders/sleeves) color to bleed and potentially run on other colors and the customization twill. Too much Goof Off applied can cause the working area to fade from loss of color. I would place a white towel inside underneath the working area to prevent dye seeping into the back. Also, cover up any patches. If applied near a patch, the dye can run from the stitch holes onto the patch twill.

I've been able to strip the C/A with decent results. After seam-ripping off the stitches, I use a fabric steamer to steam the working area to loosen up the glue a little bit. Then I slowly peeled the twill off and hope that only a light amount of glue was used. Even then, there could be tiny snags on the X-trafil from the peeling. To remove any glue residue remaining, I apply Goof Off (I use the spray can) to a white rag and use the rag to gently rub off the glue. Patience and good ventilation required.

Figured instead of making my own post I'd post in here. How hard is it for stripping an Ultrafil? Seems like it would be the hardest to do without damaging. Any tips anyone can offer? This is going to be my first project jersey.

• 4 months later...

Dude, stop bumping threads that are over 4 months old.

Your posts provide nothing to the table. People know what your motive is, we arent stupid

EDIT: Taken care of.