Can this be legal?

Saint Louis Blues

Well, all it would take is a call to the MeiGray Group to check the serial number. If it matches, it's real. That doesn't necessarily mean anything happened to the jersey. Maybe this guy just removed the tag itself. It's still a pretty lousy thing to do though.

It's a legit hockey card from ITG Superlative. Card companies buy and cut up gamers to make those stupid inserts. First time I've seen them use the MeiGray tag, but I have no doubt they'd do anything for money.

I've never been much of a sports card guy, so I just don't get what joy you'd get out of having a random 2-inch square of a destroyed game-worn jersey.

Edit: Just saw Brilliant's reply, he must type faster than me. Anywho, according to the 2002-03 population report from MeiGray that's the legit number for Ilya's set 3 gamer.

I may be wrong, but from what I believe card companies buy gamers from Meigray and other reputable sources and cut up the jersey to put in cards.

The same seller is also selling the "First K" from the nameplate on the back. I can only guess that he somehow thinks that lot's of little pieces are better than the whole. Or, was the jersey damaged beyond repair and he bought it cheap and is trying to make a big buck on ignorant people?

who in their right mind would pay a few hundred dollars for a letter? What does that seller think wanna buy a vowel for wheel of fortune.

I just forsee this particular Meigray tag showing up sewn back on to a replica jersey, but sold as the real game worn jersey.

You'd be amazed, working for a large seller of trading cards, I've seen this stuff for years now. The MeiGray tags are by far some of the cooler card and since they are so unique, they fetch big money. I highly doubt this ends up on another jersey as a fake "gamer". More likely it ends up in Russia in an Ilya Kovalchuk card collection

who in their right mind would pay a few hundred dollars for a letter? What does that seller think wanna buy a vowel for wheel of fortune.

Out of a box of 2010-11 SP Game Used hockey, I pulled the letter 'O' off Dustin Brown's jersey and sold for $100.

Came accross this on ebay: Kovalchuk game used Meigray patch?

Certainly immoral and perhaps illegal to boot?

%100 legit hockey card.

In The Game Cards/Be A Player are the same ###### that cut up the last Vezina Pads so this is NOTHING!.

Now THATS something that is certainly immoral and should be Illegal!

It seems too me people are Ignorant to this "Jersey" card craze that started in the late 90's thanks to upper deck and ITG.

Normaly you just a piece of the jersey which is worth the least. The value increases with a piece of the Number, then the Emblem/Patch. Then the nameplate. They are also Glove, skate, stick, puck, pants, net mesh, tickets, fightstrap. All game used/worn but only 2"x2" at best.

All crap compaired to a real jersey!