Old Rangers Jerseys?

DropkickMurphy8

Hey guys,

Newbie here, first post. I'm eyeballing a NWT Rangers Gretzky jersey on eBay (of the starter incarnation), and it's obviously legit. However, there's another, CCM Gretzky on eBay from the late 90's with Gretzky sewn onto a nameplate. The Starter jersey doesn't have a nameplate that I can see, Gretzky is just sewn directly to the jersey. I'm just curious if it was normal for the Starter jerseys to have the names sewn directly onto the jersey as opposed to a nameplate. I know the '94 CCM Rangers jerseys didn't have nameplates on them, so I guess I'm also wondering if anyone can tell me approximately what year the Rangers added nameplates.

Thanks

Hey guys,

Newbie here, first post. I'm eyeballing a NWT Rangers Gretzky jersey on eBay (of the starter incarnation), and it's obviously legit. However, there's another, CCM Gretzky on eBay from the late 90's with Gretzky sewn onto a nameplate. The Starter jersey doesn't have a nameplate that I can see, Gretzky is just sewn directly to the jersey. I'm just curious if it was normal for the Starter jerseys to have the names sewn directly onto the jersey as opposed to a nameplate. I know the '94 CCM Rangers jerseys didn't have nameplates on them, so I guess I'm also wondering if anyone can tell me approximately what year the Rangers added nameplates.

Thanks

Welcome to the boards.

The Rangers didn't start using nameplates until the Reebok Edge era (2007 - present). Also Gretzky never wore CCM with the Rangers, his first season with the team was 1996-97, which was the first year the Rangers wore Starter.

As for the NWT Gretzky Starter you mentioned - just be wary of the blue lace-up Rangers Starter jersey (the also make a Messier variant) that are very common fakes. If it has a special Gretzky neck tag and/or a "set tag" in the inside hem, it's a knockoff. There are entire threads here dedicated to that particular Rangers fake.

Thanks for the response. That's about what I figured for the name plates. I knew they were a fairly recent addition, I was just getting into a debate with my friend over whether the Starter jersey was real or not because it didn't have a name plate, whereas the CCM Gretzky, which you're telling me is less than legit (seller claims it to be from '97) does have a name plate. Also, that same friend just bought a brand new blue Richter Liberty jersey off ebay that DOES have a name plate, and it's a CCM jersey. I have a blue Lindros (I know, I know) Liberty jersey that I got locally last year that doesn't have a name plate, and it's made by Koho, which I know was owned by CCM at the time.

I'm guessing the name plate on the Richter Liberty is less than accurate also? It's a beautiful jersey regardless, we're both just curious. As far as the NWT Gretzky I'm looking at, just the officially licensed product NHL tag, the old NHLPA tag and a couple of Starter tags along with the Starter tag on the inside collar. It does have double Starter and Eastern Conference logos, one on each side of the bottom hem on the back if that makes a difference. It's a great looking jersey and I'm not the biggest fan of white jerseys.

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the boards.

The Rangers didn't start using nameplates until the Reebok Edge era (2007 - present). Also Gretzky never wore CCM with the Rangers, his first season with the team was 1996-97, which was the first year the Rangers wore Starter.

As for the NWT Gretzky Starter you mentioned - just be wary of the blue lace-up Rangers Starter jersey (the also make a Messier variant) that are very common fakes. If it has a special Gretzky neck tag and/or a "set tag" in the inside hem, it's a knockoff. There are entire threads here dedicated to that particular Rangers fake.

Edited by DropkickMurphy8