2010 Team USA 3rd jersey question

WingedWheelers

Hey, posted this by accident in the NHL forum, so you can delete the post there, or just keep it around if you don't care.

I purchased a 2010 Team USA replica 3rd jersey from ebay pretty cheap. I'm assuming that it was discounted because Komisarek didn't end up playing on the team. I'd like to have EPS strip and customize it as a Rafalski. However, after doing some searches for reference photos to send, I noticed that the on-ice jerseys have the name on a white nameplate beneath the blue shoulder material. My jersey has the name on a blue nameplate, on the blue shoulder area. Is this just a difference between the on-ice authentics and the replicas (maybe there's more space on the authentic so they can put the name in the white area)? Or did I get a fake jersey?

On-ice jersey:

rafalski2.jpg

My jersey:

img6062d.jpg

This was discussed quite a bit at the time of the Olympics, but the throwbacks were never retailed as authentics, and the replicas which were available had some big differences from the jerseys worn on the ice.

First, the replicas had a much darker blue, basically navy, whereas the on-ice jerseys were more royal. The patch on the replicas was also different - it had USA at the top, but the on-ice jerseys had AHAUS (Amateur Hockey Association of the United States) at the top and USA across the middle which was more historically accurate. The replicas had a Swift/Edge style cut; the on-ice jerseys were a traditional 6100-like cut, making the arm stripes be different on the replica (don't go all the way around).

Here's my legit Callahan replica purchased from USA Hockey during the Olympics:

2010_usa_callahan_f_sm.jpg2010_usa_callahan_b_sm.jpg

Sharp new jerseys for the World Juniors in Buffalo based on the same 1960 template available at the USA Hockey website now...kinda hate to grab one til I know who'll be on the roster, though.

Edited by Robert Ullman

Not a bad idea. I wonder, anyone know where you might find one that says "AHUSA" like the authentics rather than the generic "USA" patch that was on the replicas?

If one were to build a more "correct" jersey, I'd say skip the Swift-cut replica entirely and look for a 6100-cut jersey with the proper striping and royal color.

I vaguely remember someone looking into this during the olympics. I don't know how far they got.

If one were to build a more "correct" jersey, I'd say skip the Swift-cut replica entirely and look for a 6100-cut jersey with the proper striping and royal color.

I vaguely remember someone looking into this during the olympics. I don't know how far they got.

I was looking for something for the blue version, and I just did a quick search through hockey jerseys direct. Couldn't find much that resembled the white version.

Nike Team USA 1960 replica ultrafil:

1960front.jpg

2010 alt replica vs 1960 replica shield patches:

shieldsu.jpg

Besides the different shields, the 2010 alt replica has embroidered yellow border. The 1960 replica has twill.

2010 alt replica vs 1960 replica shoulder yokes:

shoulderyoke.jpg

The 2010 alt replica uses navy blue with the Nike swoosh and has a diagonal cut. The 1960 replica uses royal blue without the Nike swoosh (they put it on the back) and has a square cut.

2010 alt replica vs 1960 replica front USA's:

usabx.jpg

The 2010 alt replica uses smaller lettering with embroidered borders. The 1960 replica uses larger lettering with the faux zigzag stitching on the blue twill. Fonts are slightly different, more obvious by comparing the inner blue S's.

Is that 1960 version with the square cut shoulders and lighter shade of blue currently available, or is that from several years ago?

I have a Nike 1976 USA jersey that is older, but don't ever recall seeing the 1960 version you just posted.

I got both of these from eBay over the summer. With the 2010, I had to sift through all the garbage fakes. With the 1960, the listing had a fuzzy picture, but I could tell the patch was different from the 2010, so I took a chance on it. Ironically, it was a seller in Canada. My guess is that it was released at the same time when the 1976 (stubby US eagle) came out, maybe during the 2004 World Cup of Hockey. I remember seeing the 1976 in the past since I was thinking about getting it. But, I don't recall seeing the 1960 at the time either.

Well, I figured I'd try to recoup my losses on this crap jersey. I really didn't want to just resell it, and end up passing it off to some other poor unfortunate soul. So, I sent the seller and email saying that I discovered the jersey is fake, and wanted a refund because it was described as genuine, and its against ebay policy to sell counterfeit merchandise. The seller replied back within the hour and agreed to refund my money! He does still insist that the jersey is genuine, probably trying to cover his butt.

Anyway, jersey is gone and money is back in my bank account. Thanks to a tip from F-liar, I snagged a legit navy 2010 USA Olympic jersey, the one I was looking for in the first place, from River City Sports. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Not a bad idea. I wonder, anyone know where you might find one that says "AHUSA" like the authentics rather than the generic "USA" patch that was on the replicas?

Stop by your local rink at any Kids league games or even the mens "beer league" games in the US. Most of the leagues are governed by AHAUS. Check with the refs. They usually have the patches on their jersey such as the NHL refs. It looks as if the patches have changed since I played but maybe one has an old sweater hanging around. You might even check the pro shop out. There is always a chance they have one or can order one. Its always worth a shot.

Like I said... It looks as if the patches have changed since I played...., Sorry only trying to help.

Not a problem, we used to have more flag looking ones when I first started, but as far as I know, we always had the USA hockey logo and not basic layers, my reffing experience goes back 10 years so it looks like you'd have to dig real deep and get lucky.