Late 80's Early 90's Penguins Font Question

hagerstownpensfan

I recently picked up this jersey:

recchiback.jpg

The plan was to put a '91 Cup patch on it. After looking around some more I noticed that the font on the 8's isn't quite right for that year. On the sleeve numbers the cut outs in the 8 look more rounded and the pics I've seen are more of a rectangle with the cutouts. Also on the back number the cut out looks more octagonal where as the pics I've seen are also rectangular but vertical. Here is a pic of a gamer to compare

9091recchib.jpg

When was this font used? How hard would it be to strip this and get the correct font put on? I'd like to keep it a Recchi if possible but get the correct font for '91. Should I give it a go myself or send it somewhere like EPS and let them do it? I haven't tried stripping an ultrafil before and I really don't want to mess this jersey up.

The Pens started using that font in 1988-89 when they made the switch from heat-pressed kits to twill. You actually might be able to get away with replacing the old numbers if you have someone put the new ones EXACTLY over the old ones. That is if you can get the old numbers off.

The Pens started using that font in 1988-89 when they made the switch from heat-pressed kits to twill. You actually might be able to get away with replacing the old numbers if you have someone put the new ones EXACTLY over the old ones. That is if you can get the old numbers off.

EPS did a similar strip/replace on a jersey for me recently and it turned out perfect - you'd never know the old kit was there!

EPS did a similar strip/replace on a jersey for me recently and it turned out perfect - you'd never know the old kit was there!

Any chance you have before/after pics of what they did for you? I'm leaning toward sending it out to them to get it done. Really don't think I want to take a chance on doing it myself. Plus I've read on here that ultrafil can be tricky. Even without the patch I would like to get the numbers fixed. If the Pens switched to the other font (the cup years font) in 88-89 then Recchi wouldn't have ever worn a jersey with the font that I have on there. I think it would drive me nuts if I didn't get it fixed.

After selling some of my toys on ebay, I picked up a 92 Pens jersey from Chuck Thomas Enterprises. http://www.chuckthomas.com/penjer.htm (scroll about 1/4 the way down to see). I'll be sending mine to EPS too once I get the 25th anniversary patch. They do excellent work.