Interesting ebay description...

tb426

eBay

I know this seller is selling fakes, but when I read the description, it states:

"**SIDE NOTE - I have some Authentic 2010 Team Canada Olympic men's jerseys left but they cannot be listed on eBay**"

Curious to know why... I suppose nike is not that efficient when it comes to cutting down fakes...:unsure:

eBay

I know this seller is selling fakes, but when I read the description, it states:

"**SIDE NOTE - I have some Authentic 2010 Team Canada Olympic men's jerseys left but they cannot be listed on eBay**"

Curious to know why... I suppose nike is not that efficient when it comes to cutting down fakes...:unsure:

Well I got dinged by a fake. The reason the seller wants you to contact them outside of eBay is because if you file a claim on PayPal for something not purchased on eBay for an item that is a fake, they will not reimburse your money.

I was talking to a PayPal agent, and because the jersey I bought was outside of eBay, they could not refund my money on the basis that I claimed what I recived was a fake. Had I purchased it on eBay, I would have got my money back.

They told me if there were many claims against the seller for selling fakes, then I ***might*** get my money back. So since I'm probably the only one, I get the shaft. Luckily I funded the transaction with my credit card, so I'm filing a chargeback. But that is probably why they don't want to take the eBay route, that way they don't get dinged by claims.

Interesting... so instead of removing counterfeits, they decide to deter people from making out of eBay transactions by withholding buyer protection. So as an indirect result of maintaining their own interests, they inadvertently keep the counterfeiters and counterfeit-profiteers in business and protects THEIR interests over spending customers.

This really casts paypal/eBay in a bad light in my opinion.

My understanding is that Hockey Canada is very active in removing fake jerseys from eBay. To me it seems Nike like Reebok doesn't really care. Perhaps USA Hockey and NHL Teams should take that stance if the manufacturers don't seem to care.

Interesting... so instead of removing counterfeits, they decide to deter people from making out of eBay transactions by withholding buyer protection. So as an indirect result of maintaining their own interests, they inadvertently keep the counterfeiters and counterfeit-profiteers in business and protects THEIR interests over spending customers.

This really casts paypal/eBay in a bad light in my opinion.

Yes that is what I had told him. To his credit, the agent was actually very courteous and informative. Even though I couldn't get the resolution I wanted from him, he gave me quite an insight to how things worked there.

Basically what it boils down to is that they want to make money twice for every transaction (once on eBay, once on PayPal) which is why they enforce the whole "don't trust transactions outside of eBay" thing.

He mentioned to me that PayPal is in the midst of reviewing their policies, so one thing I stressed to him is to treat money spent on PayPal as real money. They seem to think we're playing with monopoly money or something with the way they have their rules set up. Personally, any recourse I have with fraud in the "real world" should also apply to money spent on PayPal. There shouldn't be two sets of rules so scammers can find loopholes in the system as they are now.

On another note about PayPal, I recently had an appeal denied to reverse a non-delivery decision found in favour of the buyer. I received a letter from Canada Post stating that an item (a CPU water cooler) was delivered to someone in Italy. I even have a fax that Canada Post sent me a copy of with the letter showing proof of delivery.

Apparently that wasn't good enough as they still denied my appeal. Why you may ask????????

Because if you track the item online, it doesn't show "Successfully delivered". It just says "in foreign country for delivery"

And the kicker, Canada Post refuses to update their website even though they have proof and denied my claim, on the basis that they can't be accountable if an item is not scanned properly in another country's postal service.

I'm out $100 US in the meantime. I've contacted the ombudsman at Canada Post regarding this matter.

Thats horrible. I've read that Italy is apparently notorious for both poor postal service and scrupulous buyers who take advantage of their poor postal service to file for claims. Loads of sellers don't ship to Italy, and while I can relate with the whole a piece of rat poop ruins the whole pot of stew (or whatever that saying is in English) mentality that their bad reputation is a result of a few poor individuals, sellers need to protect themselves given how paypal absolutely favours the buyers...

Thats horrible. I've read that Italy is apparently notorious for both poor postal service and scrupulous buyers who take advantage of their poor postal service to file for claims. Loads of sellers don't ship to Italy, and while I can relate with the whole a piece of rat poop ruins the whole pot of stew (or whatever that saying is in English) mentality that their bad reputation is a result of a few poor individuals, sellers need to protect themselves given how paypal absolutely favours the buyers...

Yeah I know, unfortunately being Italian and having family there, I know how things are. But I'll get around this one way or another.