Need a Little Help With a Jersey Dilemma...

irishlaxburger2

So yesterday I saw this jersey...http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT...posted on eBay and gave it an impulse bid and actually won the auction. The only reason I was really interested in this jersey was the 9/11 ribbon, since they're practically impossible to find. I'm interested in the 9/11 patch because one of my grails is an authentic reproduction of this jersey, 9/11 "New York" Rangers Jersey. Basically I want to find a Koho Rangers authentic, strip the crest, replace it with "New York", and replace the KOHO Patch with a CCM patch, then customize it. It's going to be a hassle and be a bit costly, but it's one of my grails and I'm dead set on getting it done. The hardest part was getting the 9/11 patch, which I now have from the gamer I just bought on eBay.

Is it considered heresy to strip a patch off a gamer? I doubt the gamer has much resale value without the patch, so would it be worth it? I would definitely mention taking the patch off if I were to sell the gamer without it, so no need to worry about that. Do I just keep the gamer as is and hope to find another 9/11 patch elsewhere? I'll probably be swimming in this jersey too, unfortunately. Basically I just bought a gamer for this rare patch alone, and now I'm not sure if it was a very good buy at all. I'm not stripped for cash at the moment, but since I just bought a Dubinsky gamer, I certainly didn't NEED to buy this jersey.

So in summary, I impulsed bought a game-worn jersey just for a rare patch and I'm not quite sure what to do now. Any suggestions or just kind words to make me feel better about this purchase? :thumbsup: Thanks folks!

Oh and chalk up another one for the list...

"You know you're a serious hockey jersey collector when...you buy a game-worn jersey just for the rare patch."

Man, I'd never ever strip anything off from a gamer. You could probably sell it to some German on this board: http://211638.homepagemodules.de/

I know there are collectors who collect jerseys from fighters like McKenna. Just be patient, one day you'll find a patch. I'm patient too with my search for 3 Blue Cross Patches the WBS Penguins wear.

Just say NO to modifying a gamer in any way. I don't even think they should be washed - and I'm not a hardcore collector of gamers (I have ONE and it's not officially documented). In this case you're apparently dealing with a legit gamer that's been documented it, so taking the patch off would be a crime in my opinion.

The good news is I have a lead on where to get a 9/11 ribbon patch (thanks to JeffB) and I'll send you a PM about it.

I say keep the gamer and enjoy it as it is, or pass it on to someone else who'll enjoy it.

Problem solved. Thanks a bunch guys! I'll probably just try to resell the gamer or hang on to it for a while. Depends what the demand for it is.

Gotta love this board!

Strip the patch off that gamer, and I'll increase your warn level!

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't do it!! You might decrease the value no to mention the patch might come off as smoothly as you think. best just to wait for another patch to come up for sale.

Cheers

Lexy