Gerry Cosby Authentics Question

ewillia8

I just received this 1980's Canucks jersey. It lacks a fight strap but has double elbows and double shoulders and is made from high quality ultrafil. It also has a Cosby neck tag and Cosby hem stamp. This style was worn from 1985 until 1989 but the CCM hem tag is the same as a 1983-84 Red Wings gamer I researched for another project. The Canucks wore a Maska tag until they switched to this style and then wore an insanely huge CCM tag in 1985 and the smaller team color specific tags 1986-89.

Does anybody know anything about these Cosby jerseys?

My Jersey

3413094753_5b9c93c13d.jpg3413900332_1e6b34919e.jpg

Red Wings 1983-84 Gamer

3413901150_92621a9421.jpg

Canucks 1985 Gamer

3413910188_3c355025f0.jpg

Canucks 1987 Gamer

3413910660_d5c99f0df7.jpg

Thanks for your input!

Sure do! Cosby's Sporting Goods was based in Madison Square Garden for about the last thirty or so years until last year. They did the custom work for the Rangers(and the Devils in the 80's) until about 1997, I think. They also sold all sorts of different hockey, baseball, basketball and football jerseys; not to mention every piece of equipment you can think of. Their authentic retail jerseys always had that white Cosby tag in the collar and their replica retail jerseys always had that Cosby stamp on the hemline. I have a couple of their gamers too and that same stamp is inside the jersey on the twill piece sewn over the fight strap.

That Canucks jersey might be one of their 'authentic-replica' jerseys that didn't have the strap inside. I've seen jerseys like that one that had come from Cosby's that were basically authentic jerseys but only without the fight strap inside BUT with that same patch-style CCM logo sewn onto the hem. I'd bet that your jersey came from MSG directly but only a loooong time ago. Either way, that's a nice jersey you have there.

Sure do! Cosby's Sporting Goods was based in Madison Square Garden for about the last thirty or so years until last year. They did the custom work for the Rangers(and the Devils in the 80's) until about 1997, I think. They also sold all sorts of different hockey, baseball, basketball and football jerseys; not to mention every piece of equipment you can think of. Their authentic retail jerseys always had that white Cosby tag in the collar and their replica retail jerseys always had that Cosby stamp on the hemline. I have a couple of their gamers too and that same stamp is inside the jersey on the twill piece sewn over the fight strap.

That Canucks jersey might be one of their 'authentic-replica' jerseys that didn't have the strap inside. I've seen jerseys like that one that had come from Cosby's that were basically authentic jerseys but only without the fight strap inside BUT with that same patch-style CCM logo sewn onto the hem. I'd bet that your jersey came from MSG directly but only a loooong time ago. Either way, that's a nice jersey you have there.

Thanks! I figured it was something like that. I was just confused because I have only seen that patch ccm tag on 1983-84 jerseys and this style of jersey couldn't have been produced before the 1985-86 season. I will probably get a strap sewn in there and get it customized, it already has the elbows and shoulders and a sewn crest.

Did they really even sell "authentic" jerseys back then? Or was this as close as you could get at the time? Thanks again for your help.

I have seen 90's authentic jerseys with the Cosby tag and with the strap but I'm not sure about the 80's ones. I would say yes though because I actually have a Cooper authentic Penguins jersey from Cosby that has the old loop-style fight strap inside. So, to answer your question; I don't know.