Quebec Nordiques Road Jersey 1992-1993 Lettering

Canonazo

Hi All,

I've done a bit of searching on the board and didn't find what I was looking for so I thought I'd post the question ...

I bought an authentic Nord's road jersey from M Sports (what happened to them?!) in September 1992 without customization (mistake). I had it customized by someone local (another mistake) in the Boston area with what turned out to be the Whalers lettering even though I asked for the Nord's specific font. I had Owen Nolan's #11 and name (no name plate) applied. To add insult to injury, maybe a year later, Nolan signed the jersey in Hartford inside one of the large numbers in blue Sharpie. I can't believe I actually played in that jersey, sure there are some minor board burns, tape marks, puck marks ... but they are from my play not Nolan's ... DOH! The jersey is in incredible condition, however.

Anyway, a few questions ... as I want to get this jersey properly lettered and somehow preserve the signature:

1) Where can I get this lettered? Who is going to produce authentic letters, numbers and a name plate to the actual team specifications from that time?

2) Should I have the jersey stripped first and then ship it to whomever (if anyone) can letter the jersey appropriately?

3) What should I do about the signature in the "1" on the back?

I've called Exclusive Pro, Sports Lettering Company and Ice Jerseys and while they all said they could do the numbers to exact spec's (can they?) they all weren't so sure about the name plate color and or material. I wonder if they will be able to get the font 100% accurate as well. I think the jersey is Ultrafil, not sure how this plays into the material for the name plate.

Need help for those experienced in Nordiques jerseys! Is the Nordiques original embroiderer still in business? I vaguely remember the Canadiens jerseys around the same time looking like the same font, maybe they were all crested in Montreal and the shop is still there?

I know I'm going in lots of directions here but I need some experienced help. Thank you!!!

You know, you might...MIGHT be able to have the signed #1 trimmed down to the actual Nords size. I'm assuming that since it's a ROAD jersey, they still used a white top layer? The Quebec font was skinnier than the Whalers one so it may be possible to do without compromising the autograph. That letter and number font shouldn't be that hard to reproduce with the proper pictures. If you go over to dropthepucks.com, you can find great shots of both the letter and number fonts for copying. The only bad thing is finding a light blue ultrafil nameplate. However, I'm sure if you did find the nameplate, you could maybe send it out to ExclusivePro and have them strip it and replace the 1's. The only thing I'd worry about at that point is some residual glue and/or stitch outlinings since you're replacing a larger number with a smaller one.

Argh, that's a mess of words! I hope some of that helps. I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I've had a nice road blue authentic for a while now with the number 6 already on it but minus the nameplate. I want to put Wolanin on the back but not without the appropriate nameplate. I MAY have a source for one though so if I get good news, I'll let you know.

You know, you might...MIGHT be able to have the signed #1 trimmed down to the actual Nords size. I'm assuming that since it's a ROAD jersey, they still used a white top layer? The Quebec font was skinnier than the Whalers one so it may be possible to do without compromising the autograph. That letter and number font shouldn't be that hard to reproduce with the proper pictures. If you go over to dropthepucks.com, you can find great shots of both the letter and number fonts for copying. The only bad thing is finding a light blue ultrafil nameplate. However, I'm sure if you did find the nameplate, you could maybe send it out to ExclusivePro and have them strip it and replace the 1's. The only thing I'd worry about at that point is some residual glue and/or stitch outlinings since you're replacing a larger number with a smaller one.

Argh, that's a mess of words! I hope some of that helps. I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I've had a nice road blue authentic for a while now with the number 6 already on it but minus the nameplate. I want to put Wolanin on the back but not without the appropriate nameplate. I MAY have a source for one though so if I get good news, I'll let you know.

Thank you!!!