columbus blue jackets jersey

dmac25

I'm just taking a wild guess here, but maybe the jersey was made by ProPlayer during the 1999-2000 season in anticipation of the Jackets joining the league the following season. During the 99-00 season authentics were split between Pro Player and CCM. In June of 2000 the NHL gave the exclusive license to CCM (which owned Koho at that point I believe). Also, if I recall correctly, Fruit of the Loom which owned Pro Player declared bankruptcy in late 1999 - which may have impacted the NHL's decision to drop them in 2000.

Here's a couple of news briefs on Pro Player I found discussing their rise and fall as official licensee of NHL on-ice jerseys:

Starter Skates Away from NHL On-ice License Deal

NHL Signs The Hockey Company (CCM) as Jersey Provider

I'm just taking a wild guess here, but maybe the jersey was made by ProPlayer during the 1999-2000 season in anticipation of the Jackets joining the league the following season. During the 99-00 season authentics were split between Pro Player and CCM. In June of 2000 the NHL gave the exclusive license to CCM (which owned Koho at that point I believe). Also, if I recall correctly, Fruit of the Loom which owned Pro Player declared bankruptcy in late 1999 - which may have impacted the NHL's decision to drop them in 2000.

Here's a couple of news briefs on Pro Player I found discussing their rise and fall as official licensee of NHL on-ice jerseys:

Starter Skates Away from NHL On-ice License Deal

NHL Signs The Hockey Company (CCM) as Jersey Provider

thats sort of what i figured. the horizontal darker blue striping is like nothing any team has ever worn and i would bet the NHL denied them if they tried to get that approved before they began play in 2000-20001. it seems like a rare find and a great collectors item either way. i own a ton of authentics and this is truly a one of a kind i guess:) thanks!

Pro Player did make authentics for Columbus (H & A) and Minnesota (H only) in 1999 before both teams began play. Pro Player was to make 15 teams authentics, and CCM the other 15. But in early 2000, Fruit of the Loom decided to fold the Pro Player brand. So CCM/Koho took the entire league for 2000 on. The CBJ and MW authentics were never worn on ice. As for the striping design, that was intentional and carried over to CCM/Koho/RBK, and was used until 2007. I own all of these jerseys, plus a few more Pro Players, and I really like the material and construction of their authentics.

Pro Player did make authentics for Columbus (H & A) and Minnesota (H only) in 1999 before both teams began play. Pro Player was to make 15 teams authentics, and CCM the other 15. But in early 2000, Fruit of the Loom decided to fold the Pro Player brand. So CCM/Koho took the entire league for 2000 on. The CBJ and MW authentics were never worn on ice. As for the striping design, that was intentional and carried over to CCM/Koho/RBK, and was used until 2007. I own all of these jerseys, plus a few more Pro Players, and I really like the material and construction of their authentics.

thanks! i owned a more recent koho version and i swear it lacked the striping. or it was so much more subtle i never noticed it. thanks again!

thanks! i owned a more recent koho version and i swear it lacked the striping. or it was so much more subtle i never noticed it. thanks again!

No problem. Look closer, and you'll see it. I have CCM/Koho auths and replicas of the original style, stinger patch 2000-04, star and hat patch 2004-07, and they all are that way. So are the Pro Player replicas, which I have at least 5 of them. In fact, I think my CBJ total is about 25.