IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Forum to close July 31st

Apparently, the hockeyjerseys reddit folks are trying to pool money together to buy this forum.  If that happens, I am permanently out of here.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that if the Reddit subgroup doesn’t buy this forum, it’s all over and you’ll be permanently out of here either way.  Is it really better to let this group die completely, or hope that they can at least keep all the information here going somehow?

I’ve been a member there for 2+ years now, and while the overall knowledge level there is not quite what it is here, I’d still say it’s better than nothing.  

1 hour ago, LAK74 said:

It seems to me that if the Reddit subgroup doesn’t buy this forum, it’s all over and you’ll be permanently out of here either way.  Is it really better to let this group die completely, or hope that they can at least keep all the information here going somehow?

I’ve been a member there for 2+ years now, and while the overall knowledge level there is not quite what it is here, I’d still say it’s better than nothing.  

If the reddit group buys this forum, I'd rather hang out at The Jersey Page mfitz created. I prefer a lower traffic, yet higher quality group than a large mostly replica-celebrating group. (Nothing wrong with collecting replicas, but one of the things I like about this group is the focus on authentic jerseys, as we know them to be.)

It would be great to keep this page going just for the wealth of information 
We can go to Fitz's page to hang and be cool.  

Wonder what kinda $ it takes to buy this forum? 

@DM67 is leading that charge and has been a member here for a while.

I'd have to imagine that any kind of large group of people coming here would have happened a long time ago if it was going to.  I could certainly see more people coming here but I highly doubt it's going to be a huge flood - just like they might be a different collecting focus, they mostly are also more focused on Reddit/Discord as a community tool rather than forum tech.  As @LAK74 mentions, either this forum changes hands or it closes permanently; I'd personally rather see it continue on in some form, especially with someone like him that is dedicated to the jersey community and mindful of all the info we have here.

I can understand wanting a certain vibe, but I'd say at least give it a try and help cultivate the kind of community you want before walking away.

Edited by PensJerseys
22 hours ago, LAK74 said:

Since I am still banned from hockeyjerseys reddit AFAIK, it doesn't make a difference to me either way.

The information that is here has already largely been copied over into the hockeyjerseys forum.  The list of past and present team customizers is an example.

Plus, what information would a community where 98% are more interested in obtaining their "grail" replica jerseys and completing their 31/31 replica series care about the precision that members of this forum are more known for?  I guess that 2% would care, but mfitz backup forum more than fits the need going forward.

20 hours ago, Van67 said:

If the reddit group buys this forum, I'd rather hang out at The Jersey Page mfitz created. I prefer a lower traffic, yet higher quality group than a large mostly replica-celebrating group. (Nothing wrong with collecting replicas, but one of the things I like about this group is the focus on authentic jerseys, as we know them to be.)

100% agree

34 minutes ago, PensJerseys said:

@DM67 is leading that charge and has been a member here for a while.

I'd have to imagine that any kind of large group of people coming here would have happened a long time ago if it was going to.  I could certainly see more people coming here but I highly doubt it's going to be a huge flood - just like they might be a different collecting focus, they mostly are also more focused on Reddit/Discord as a community tool rather than forum tech.  As @LAK74 mentions, either this forum changes hands or it closes permanently; I'd personally rather see it continue on in some form, especially with someone like him that is dedicated to the jersey community and mindful of all the info we have here.

I can understand wanting a certain vibe, but I'd say at least give it a try and help cultivate the kind of community you want before walking away.

He registered here a little over 2 years ago, has 53 posts and hasn't posted on here in over a year as I am writing this post.

Part of the continued appeal of this forum for a lot of the remaining members is that it is not FB, reddit, or discord.  Having it open as an extension of reddit will kill the experience for myself and I can imagine at least more than a few regulars.

I also really do not get the angle of why they want to buy this place either.  As I said previously, 98% (probably 99%) don't even care that much about accuracy as much as we do on here and a lot of information that is posted on here has already been copied to reddit anyways.  I have an idea of what the angle may be, but I am keeping it to myself.

Regardless, if this place shuts down I am gone.  If this gets bought up by the reddit folks I am still gone since I am perma-banned.  Either way, I am gone.

I don’t think them buying the forum is going to matter much. People will use the medium they prefer. Like Pens said, they’d be over here already if they liked this forum format. 🤷‍♂️ And if they are already over here, I haven’t seen much of anything that has been negative. 

2 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

I don’t think them buying the forum is going to matter much. People will use the medium they prefer. Like Pens said, they’d be over here already if they liked this forum format. 🤷‍♂️ And if they are already over here, I haven’t seen much of anything that has been negative. 

Depends on what they do with it.  I know this forum has a reputation over there as being a bunch of jersey snobs.  I mean that is 100% correct but I have a feeling there will be an attempt to make this more of an extension of reddit than keeping it as-is with a new ownership label slapped on.

I'm not really sure I agree with that, but I'm also not the guy leading the charge.  DM and most of the Discord mods are more in the category of people that are already here.  I've learned the past few years that the Reddit crowd is much different and very little overlap compared to Discord.  As I mentioned in an earlier page there is a pretty large group of people on Discord that would fit right in here with the rest of us, and vice versa.  Super focused on accuracy and restoration of vintage jerseys, gamers, MIC Adidas, etc.

Reddit is pretty much it's own beast.  Millions of people on the platform looking for "Karma" via any avenue they can get it.  Lots of one-off posts, randos swinging by...no repeat interaction.  Discord channel is very different than that, and similar to this, just more of a chat approach as opposed to forum organization.  I can understand not liking different platform tech though, 100%.

Edited by PensJerseys

I guess I should weigh in on what the plans are.

As @PensJerseyssaid, the reddit and discord barely overlap anymore - the discord is much more detail-oriented and focused on the actual Authentic stuff. I swear, if I see one more gRAiL post about a Kings Indo-didas...

Anyway. My plans for the forum (if I purchase it) would be to basically leave it as-is, very hands-off. This is obviously not my chosen form of media - the older forum format just doesn't appeal to me. That's not the point - I'd want to keep this alive for information and archiving at a bare minimum. At most, I might look at turning ads on so it can pay for the $45/month hosting fee, or try to migrate it to a lower-cost platform.

There's a larger thought that the platform the site runs on could have things like a user Marketplace enabled, but I'm not really sure what the point would be. 

On 7/24/2021 at 4:52 PM, PensJerseys said:

I'm not really sure I agree with that, but I'm also not the guy leading the charge.  DM and most of the Discord mods are more in the category of people that are already here.  I've learned the past few years that the Reddit crowd is much different and very little overlap compared to Discord.  As I mentioned in an earlier page there is a pretty large group of people on Discord that would fit right in here with the rest of us, and vice versa.  Super focused on accuracy and restoration of vintage jerseys, gamers, MIC Adidas, etc.

Reddit is pretty much it's own beast.  Millions of people on the platform looking for "Karma" via any avenue they can get it.  Lots of one-off posts, randos swinging by...no repeat interaction.  Discord channel is very different than that, and similar to this, just more of a chat approach as opposed to forum organization.  I can understand not liking different platform tech though, 100%.

The issue I have with Discord is just how the platform is.  Discord works well if you have a small group of people (probably less than 100) but when you have thousands of users on the server, it can get hard to follow due to the nature of it.  It sorta forces you to constantly check it to keep up no matter how many channels are on the server.  Not only that but having so many channels to track is an issue by itself.  I am on a few discord servers and typically the smaller they are, the better it works.  On the ones that I am in with hundreds or even thousands of users, I tend to spend my time just keyword searching and that's it.

And now I am being partially blamed for the reddit crowd not buying it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockeyjerseys/comments/osp3hb/an_update_on_the_ijf_purchase/

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Maybe I just don't feel the attachment to the specific forum we are and/or will become a part of (SportsBuffZone already looks different than the good old IJ Forum). I thought main reason for keeping the forum going was for the information, which can easily be copied and pasted to The Jersey Page for anyone to find. I also more or less said that if this forum were to be purchased and have the reddit crowd here, I wouldn't hang out here as much, but that's for my own reasons and certainly not because I dislike anyone. I think I've posted maybe a handful of times on reddit because it's just not the community for me. 

Edited by Van67
On 7/26/2021 at 1:26 PM, Devilsguy said:

The issue I have with Discord is just how the platform is.  Discord works well if you have a small group of people (probably less than 100) but when you have thousands of users on the server, it can get hard to follow due to the nature of it.  It sorta forces you to constantly check it to keep up no matter how many channels are on the server.  Not only that but having so many channels to track is an issue by itself.  I am on a few discord servers and typically the smaller they are, the better it works.  On the ones that I am in with hundreds or even thousands of users, I tend to spend my time just keyword searching and that's it.

I did try the discord when it was first launched, but I encountered what you pointed out which was if you're not constantly on it, you get lost quick. Perhaps it's because I'm not a power discord user, but it was just non-stop scrolling because of all the activity. Made it impossible to find anything useful. I'll also admit I didn't give it much of a chance

24 minutes ago, mdwsta4 said:

I did try the discord when it was first launched, but I encountered what you pointed out which was if you're not constantly on it, you get lost quick. Perhaps it's because I'm not a power discord user, but it was just non-stop scrolling because of all the activity. Made it impossible to find anything useful. I'll also admit I didn't give it much of a chance

I didn’t like Discord either. 

That is a huge downside to it, for sure.

Because of that I typically find myself solely in the #projects channel as it's almost entirely people talking about jersey rehabbing and is admittedly less traffic than the rest of the server.  I flip to #mail day on occasion, but just for a quick flip through.

For my final post here I will re-post this photo of slimcutta one last time so all you Jagr-loving degenerates could save it for your spank bank.

eBEsNqh.jpg

Unfortunately, it seems like forums just don't appeal to the younger crowd.  We've shifted from organizing content to simply throwing thoughts out there, consuming it, then throwing away again.  That's all Discord is - a stream of thought conversation.  It's almost impossible to actually save information.

Reddit, on the other hand, is a tell-me-again platform.  From what I've used of it, generally it's the same questions/answers getting posted again and again and again (and no one will search).  On a forum, that type of behavior is discouraged.

I haven't been too active here recently (between getting older and the switch to Adidas and extreme difficulty that makes it to get a MiC jersey in a 50'ish size, I've basically stopped collecting unless the Pens win the cup), so this won't be a huge loss.  I'll migrate over to the Jersey Page and hope that a small community stays there, even if it's members do rotate in and out like I tend to.

13 hours ago, guam64 said:

For my final post here I will re-post this photo of slimcutta one last time so all you Jagr-loving degenerates could save it for your spank bank.

When this forum officially closes, I’ll still go wherever Guam goes. 

3 hours ago, Dasle said:

Unfortunately, it seems like forums just don't appeal to the younger crowd.  We've shifted from organizing content to simply throwing thoughts out there, consuming it, then throwing away again.  That's all Discord is - a stream of thought conversation.  It's almost impossible to actually save information.

Reddit, on the other hand, is a tell-me-again platform.  From what I've used of it, generally it's the same questions/answers getting posted again and again and again (and no one will search).  On a forum, that type of behavior is discouraged.

I haven't been too active here recently (between getting older and the switch to Adidas and extreme difficulty that makes it to get a MiC jersey in a 50'ish size, I've basically stopped collecting unless the Pens win the cup), so this won't be a huge loss.  I'll migrate over to the Jersey Page and hope that a small community stays there, even if it's members do rotate in and out like I tend to.

This is absolutely spot on.  IIRC, Discord was originally created for gamers to live chat with each other while gaming.  It really is a pain to follow when a server has literally 1000+ users and dozens of different channels within the server.

I find Reddit frustrating as well.  Even non-jersey collecting reddit doesn't appeal to me all that much for the exact same reasons as you posted.  Not only that, but due to the upvoting feature a lot of nonsense gets constantly kicked to the top.

It's funny how 10 or so years ago forums were still very much a thing but now they have become practically relics.  Most online forums I see are visited by 30+ crowd (I am 37 FWIW) and rarely do I see any that are largely visited by the under 30 crowd.  It is sad to see how quickly forums have become ancient news and even sadder that most, if not all, of the replacements seem to be built for the short attention span crowd.

8 hours ago, Dasle said:

Geez, you got that right!!

Never even thought about the age thing, but I suppose I’m a geriatric millennial now and have always used forums so I’m comfortable/used to them

It is sad....on Discord server I'm seriously the second oldest guy around.  36.  Are you kidding me!?  lol...

@guam64 way to finish strong, duder. 😅

Time for my last post. 

It's been a really good time, it was really nice to get acquainted with so many of you. Years of enjoyment, looking at pictures of other people's stuff, and being jealous over same. It's been a lot of fun I'll never forget any of you, and hopefully we cross paths again sometime. 

That's what she said.