New York Rangers Liberty Lady Real or Fake?

image.thumb.jpg.f50ef3d92b8177768b8e487aa48ca6a2.jpgI was wondering if anyone could help date and hopefully confirm the authenticity of a NYR hockey shirt I’ve managed to come by. Has name and numbers plus the A letter on front.  These are pressed on not sewn.  They seem really well stuck down and not a cheap copy.  The Liberty lady and badges are sewn but pressed down also.  It seems legit to me but Any advice would be really appreciated image.thumb.jpg.caa6a2421f17c90f08e86030e33abfb7.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.586fd25c083ac9fed07f6b72311600f1.jpg

It's a legit replica. Has there ever been a faked replica? Typically counterfeiters make 'authentic' jerseys

Edited by mdwsta4

Thanks for the reply.  I guess what I meant is is it a player issue or a replica.  Thought maybe with the NHL player logo on the collar and the quality of the number print it may have been match worn or something.  I’ve looked a lots of pics of these shirts and the numbering on most seems to be stitched then pressed on.  This is a bit different and was kind of hoping it would be worth something.  Thanks for your help

It's definitely not match worn.  It's a replica fan jersey as you can tell by the sizing in the neck tag being a LG.  Game worn jerseys are authentic quality and come with numbered sizes... 54 56 58 etc. and also have other authentic features the replicas don't have including double sewn elbows and a fight strap.

The quality of the number kit looks ok, but regardless of that, the jersey itself is not game quality.  Nice jersey but it's not worth a whole lot I wouldn't think. ~$100 give or take.

3 hours ago, Humber11 said:

Thanks for the reply.  I guess what I meant is is it a player issue or a replica.  Thought maybe with the NHL player logo on the collar and the quality of the number print it may have been match worn or something.  I’ve looked a lots of pics of these shirts and the numbering on most seems to be stitched then pressed on.  This is a bit different and was kind of hoping it would be worth something.  Thanks for your help

Those patches are nothing special. They used to be included with premade players kits. I think it was like an NHLPA certified deal that the players would receive some minor royalties for. 

It takes some time, but as you get more experience at this, it becomes easy to pin down the dates of jerseys, and whether they are replicas, authentics or game worns.

CCM never made authentic Liberty jerseys, only replicas.  The companies that made the authentics were, in chronological order, Starter (1996-99), ProPlayer (1999/2000), Koho (2000-04) and Reebok (2005-07).  During his tenure with the Rangers, Stevens wore only Starter and ProPlayer versions.  Your jersey was almost certainly manufactured around 1997/98, right at the time Stevens would have worn that style.  You can tell by the CCM ice rink tag in the collar area, plus the fact that the sleeve has a CCM logo and the hem has no Rangers team logo next to the CCM logo on the back hem.  The earliest CCM Liberty replicas had no CCM logo on the sleeve, and did have the Rangers hem logo just until the end of the rink tag period, so yours is probably one of the last ones manufactured with the rink tag, before CCM switched to the dark blue neck tag.  That multicolored CCM hem tag is interesting; I had never seen one like that on a Liberty until now- they were usually just one color.

As for determining whether a jersey might be game worn, one way you can sometimes tell is by the accuracy of the lettering.  The Liberty font changed so many times over the years; pretty much every season has differences.  When Stevens wore the blue Liberty, the letters had a narrower, less rounded look to them, with less gray drop shadow area.  The letters started to look wider in 99/00 with the ProPlayers, but they didn’t have the solid filled-in gray areas until the early 2000’s with the Kohos.  Also, the 7’s did not have the bottom serifs during the Stevens era.  I don’t mean to sound critical here, just to point out that you can often confirm that a jersey isn’t game worn just by looking at the lettering.  So I’m guessing the jersey was made around 1997/98, but probably not lettered until a few years later.

Edited by LAK74
3 hours ago, LAK74 said:

It takes some time, but as you get more experience at this, it becomes easy to pin down the dates of jerseys, and whether they are replicas, authentics or game worns.

CCM never made authentic Liberty jerseys, only replicas.  The companies that made the authentics were, in chronological order, Starter (1996-99), ProPlayer (1999/2000), Koho (2000-04) and Reebok (2005-07).  During his tenure with the Rangers, Stevens wore only Starter and ProPlayer versions.  Your jersey was almost certainly manufactured around 1997/98, right at the time Stevens would have worn that style.  You can tell by the CCM ice rink tag in the collar area, plus the fact that the sleeve has a CCM logo and the hem has no Rangers team logo next to the CCM logo on the back hem.  The earliest CCM Liberty replicas had no CCM logo on the sleeve, and did have the Rangers hem logo just until the end of the rink tag period, so yours is probably one of the last ones manufactured with the rink tag, before CCM switched to the dark blue neck tag.  That multicolored CCM hem tag is interesting; I had never seen one like that on a Liberty until now- they were usually just one color.

As for determining whether a jersey might be game worn, one way you can sometimes tell is by the accuracy of the lettering.  The Liberty font changed so many times over the years; pretty much every season has differences.  When Stevens wore the blue Liberty, the letters had a narrower, less rounded look to them, with less gray drop shadow area.  The letters started to look wider in 99/00 with the ProPlayers, but they didn’t have the solid filled-in gray areas until the early 2000’s with the Kohos.  Also, the 7’s did not have the bottom serifs during the Stevens area.  I don’t mean to sound critical here, just to point out that you can often confirm that a jersey isn’t game worn just by looking at the lettering.  So I’m guessing the jersey was made around 1997/98, but probably not lettered until a few years later.

This is really helpful and thanks for taking the time to explain it all.