Any signs of changes to the Adidas retail "authentics" format and MIC not being available at all?

Lightbringer

Lmao - same deal as the Canes away. He bought the jersey at a Ross stores.

The great mystery continues.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does a brand new hockey jersey wind up at Burlington or Ross?  Those aren't thrift shops (although they are pretty close).  I mean, don't they buy bulk leftovers and irregular merchandise from manufacturers?  I wouldn't think hockey jerseys would be in their wheelhouse.  But I guess you never know!

2 hours ago, Phil the Thrill said:

For all I know, he could have obtained it from Burlington's or a similar discount store.

True story, I purchased my authentic Blackhawks TBTC new with tags at Burlington Coat Factory in the Chicago burbs. Granted, this was back in like 92 or 93, but still. Had I known as a pre-teen what I know now, I would have begged my mom to buy every last one. lol!

It doesn't surprise me. We have a similar stores in Canada called Winners and Marshall's and I've heard of people finding Leafs 2.0s at these stores. I have no idea how their supply chains work, but discount stores just end up with the most random inventory. 

There was also the case way back in 2011/2012 iirc, when SVP Sports got a bunch of TI 6100s and 2.0s for $60. Who knows how they got what they did (I still regret some of the jerseys I bought from there and subsequently sold).

I think once the jerseys are outdated, large companies who are holding a bunch of stock will sell them cheap to anyone who is interested, that’s where the Ross and Marshall’s and TJ Maxxs of the world come in. 

In the Reebok years, I would find premier replicas in Marshalls and Burlington in the late august/early September timeframe quite a bit for $25-50.  They were either blank or had factory customization in some cases.  This was back before overstock sellers like fullmoon collapsed the market about 5 or so years ago and blank replicas were still going for $70+

2 hours ago, Phil the Thrill said:

It doesn't surprise me. We have a similar stores in Canada called Winners and Marshall's and I've heard of people finding Leafs 2.0s at these stores. I have no idea how their supply chains work, but discount stores just end up with the most random inventory. 

There was also the case way back in 2011/2012 iirc, when SVP Sports got a bunch of TI 6100s and 2.0s for $60. Who knows how they got what they did (I still regret some of the jerseys I bought from there and subsequently sold).

The infamous SVP sale.  Still get a tear in my eye every time I drive past one.

13 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

They had Thrashers 2.0 TI jerseys for $39. We made up a whole home and away set for our beer league team back then. Fully customized with edge plates too. 

unfortunately our play didn’t match our style...

38 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

I still hit that place up every once in a while hoping they get replenished stock. Nothing but a bunch of indo jerseys of traded players. 

Edited by Phil the Thrill

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

He knows a guy whose cousin’s roommate is the equipment manager, obviously. 

His best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid that’s going with a girl that knows where to get the stuff. 

I guess it’s pretty secretive. 

Edited by jsh139

2 hours ago, jsh139 said:

His best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid that’s going with a girl that knows where to get the stuff. 

I guess it’s pretty secretive. 

Oh he's a very popular EQM. The sportsos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, dickheads; they all adore him.

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2020 at 6:55 AM, Devilsguy said:

IIRC, didn't that customizer/manufacturer who used to post on here a bit (handle is on the tip of my tongue) mention once that one of the fabrics (not air-knit) on the Edge jerseys cost more per yard than most materials used to make wedding dresses?

That would explain why Reebok/Adidas probably started making the Indo's because their cost were significantly higher than the 6100's.

I was the one who said this and I got this information from three extremely credible sources.

On 9/14/2020 at 7:11 AM, jsh139 said:

I know who you're talking about (@HannuVirta, I think? Or maybe it was @JunkyardAthletic)  But I don't recall him saying that.  But, yeah, that supports my theory of high cost of materials + high cost of labor and not enough demand for the high-priced resulting product leading to the outsourcing of jerseys.

Guilty as charged.

On 9/14/2020 at 12:28 PM, mfitz804 said:

Someone definitely did say that, I don't recall who it was though. The question is, then, why the fvck would they do that? The old materials were way better IMHO. 

Yup.

On 9/14/2020 at 2:28 PM, LondonGardens said:

I'm wondering did they close the factory in Quebec that made the Edge 2.0s?  Or, if that same plant makes the Adidas, did they fire a large percentage of those people who had been making the jerseys we love for years (was that the same plant that made 6100s and 550s?).

No.

On 9/14/2020 at 7:09 PM, KB67 said:

The Edge jerseys were made at the Maska plant and the Adidas jerseys are made at the SP plant, so two different manufacturers 

Incorrect as previously stated.

On 9/15/2020 at 8:55 AM, TMLFAN said:

...and thought edge and adidas were made at the same one.

Correct as previously stated.

On 9/25/2020 at 11:24 PM, JimmyGagner said:

Adidas jerseys are still made at the Maska factory, same place that Maska and CCM jerseys have been made for decades.  They are owned by the parent company of SP.  SP is the factory in Granby, they make Nike jerseys and they also have their own retail business. So one company, owns both major hockey jersey manufacturing in Canada.

This is correct, HOWEVER...

I was told by a highly credible/knowledgeable source, that when Adidas took over CCM/Reebok, they updated the facility, as they did in Indianapolis, to what Adidas had built in Germany (i.e. SuperFactory).

In 2017, 3B Hockey purchased the former "Maska" factory from Adidas,to make the jerseys as a separate business from what they own in SP Apparel.  They are run as separate businesses.

On 9/26/2020 at 3:40 PM, mdwsta4 said:

I feel like this has to be an EQM thing. The Caps, for example, seem to get a TON of 58’s. At least in practice jerseys (I would see them all during EQ sales) while the Flyers have more players wearing 52 than anywhere else in the league. Doesn’t make any sense unless it’s purely the EQM’s call. Obviously players have their individual input but I’m sure a lot of them just take whatever is given to them 

It is.