Jump to content

Any signs of changes to the Adidas retail "authentics" format and MIC not being available at all?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, HannuVirta said:

Let’s clear up some confusion. Adidas jerseys are still made at the Maska factory in St. Hyacinthe Quebec, same place that Maska and CCM jerseys have been made for decades.  They are owned by 3! Which is the parent company of SP.  SP is the factory in Granby, they make Nike jerseys and they also have their own robust retail business. So one company, owns both major hockey jersey manufacturing in Canada.  Also, there has been a no reduction in workforce at the Saint Hy plant. 
 

I can also add a little bit of clarity to the ducks anniversary pregame jerseys. That was a last minute rush job that SP was able to handle as a courtesy to Adidas because the other factory was at full production capacity and didn’t have time or room to fit it in.  That’s why they were constructed in Flo-Knit and also SP had all the necessary artwork, fabrics and measurements to create the jerseys quickly.

 

Ok, so how does that explain me getting the Adidas material from the SP factory? They go back and forth between the two?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 7:11 AM, jsh139 said:

I know who you're talking about (@HannuVirta, I think? Or maybe it was @JunkyardAthletic)  But I don't recall him saying that.  But, yeah, that supports my theory of high cost of materials + high cost of labor and not enough demand for the high-priced resulting product leading to the outsourcing of jerseys.

I don't think that was me.

Edited by JimmyGagner
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HannuVirta said:

They do not go back and forth, St. Hy does all the Adidas on-ice jerseys.

Do you have an example, specific jerseys, of what you're referring to?  That would allow me to pinpoint if it is a special circumstance like the Ducks anniversary jerseys.

My example is that I ordered a ton of MiC Adidas name plates, and when they arrived, the packing slip was from SP, from the plant in Granby. The material is the MiC Adidas material, so, would they have that material at the SP factory?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, HannuVirta said:

Let’s clear up some confusion. Adidas jerseys are still made at the Maska factory in St. Hyacinthe Quebec, same place that Maska and CCM jerseys have been made for decades.  They are owned by 3! Which is the parent company of SP.  SP is the factory in Granby, they make Nike jerseys and they also have their own robust retail business. So one company, owns both major hockey jersey manufacturing in Canada.  Also, there has been a no reduction in workforce at the Saint Hy plant. 

 

Thanks for the clarification, it's great to hear the same folks are still doing their thing at St Hy!  I wonder if they know there are people out here that love their craftsmanship, and that what they do with the MICs make, at least a small group of hockey fans very happy.  I feel less cynical today!!

So I'll now try and guess why they have stopped the retail side for the MIC... two guesses:

• the switch to the Adidas (or any new template) requires more time allotted per person/per jersey to ensure quality control, and after a number of years efficiency increases and that opens the door to capacity to have a retail line.  They were certainly putting out lots of MICs after a point in time.

• they want to use that extra capacity to make more MICs for the European and Russian pro leagues.  I have no idea if that was the case with the Edge years, but it could be the case now we are seeing MICs that are going to those leagues

Hopefully they realize there is a small niche market that will not buy the offshore versions and do actually represent lost revenue.  I really hope that at some point they start putting out NHL MICs to retail.  Maybe if efficiency is part of this they may in the future. We can only wish, I guess!!

 

Edited by LondonGardens
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2020 at 12:39 PM, KB67 said:

My example is that I ordered a ton of MiC Adidas name plates, and when they arrived, the packing slip was from SP, from the plant in Granby. The material is the MiC Adidas material, so, would they have that material at the SP factory?

They are the same company so it's not unreasonable for them to have that material and/or just have shipped it from there. Regardless, ALL MIC Adidas jerseys are made at Maska

 

Edited by JimmyGagner
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, HannuVirta said:

Also in regards to sizing, there has been no change in the Adidas MIC jersey since it’s introduction. No change in pattern, no change in fabrics, no change in anything.  .

Again, thanks for the info!

I would love to have a clarification of why some teams appear to have no players wearing anything larger than a 58.  Some teams have 58+, and I even have seen a LA Kings 60!  Is there a rhyme or reason to these largest sizes?

Also, any chance we could get the pit-to-pit, sleeve, and body length standard measurements??  That would be wonderful to have for a lot of people I assume, now it's confirmed the dimensions have not been changing.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2020 at 2:03 PM, LondonGardens said:

Thanks for the clarification, it's great to hear the same folks are still doing their thing at St Hy!  I wonder if they know there are people out here that love their craftsmanship, and that what they do with the MICs make, at least a small group of hockey fans very happy.  I feel less cynical today!!

So I'll now try and guess why they have stopped the retail side for the MIC... two guesses:

• the switch to the Adidas (or any new template) requires more time allotted person/per jersey to ensure quality control, and after a number of years efficiency increases and that opens the door to capacity to have a retail line.  They were certainly putting out lots of MICs after a point in time.

• they want to use that extra capacity to make more MICs for the European and Russian pro leagues.  I have no idea if that was the case with the Edge years, but it could be the case now we are seeing MICs that are going to those leagues

Hopefully they realize there is a small niche market that will not buy the offshore versions and do actually represent lost revenue.  I really hope that at some point they start putting out NHL MICs to retail.  Maybe if efficiency is part of this they may in the future. We can only wish, I guess!!

 

-

Edited by JimmyGagner
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, HannuVirta said:

Hypothetically the minimum could be 288, to make it more worthwhile, who knows I'm just spitballing.

Who knows... the Jersey Baron knows!  

I'm sure we would all love to hear the full story of how he did what he did with the supply of Edge 2.0s he gave the world.  He ought to write a book!

All hail JB!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think JB tried to the get the Adidas jerseys and from what I heard they just wouldn't sell them to him.

And I guess since this one has shipped, it's okay to show off now - someone tipped me off to this MIC Dallas Stars Winter Classic goalie. Grabbed it an absolute steal of a price:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Adidas-Dallas-Stars-Winter-Classic-2020-Jersey-Hockey-Stanley-Cup-Size-58-G-New/254727752712?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Take a look at the second image - there is a MRSP on it of $330. I have no idea what the back story is on it, but maybe @HannuVirta can shed some light.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LondonGardens said:

I would love to have a clarification of why some teams appear to have no players wearing anything larger than a 58.  Some teams have 58+, and I even have seen a LA Kings 60!  Is there a rhyme or reason to these largest sizes?

I feel like this has to be an EQM thing. The Caps, for example, seem to get a TON of 58’s. At least in practice jerseys (I would see them all during EQ sales) while the Flyers have more players wearing 52 than anywhere else in the league. Doesn’t make any sense unless it’s purely the EQM’s call. Obviously players have their individual input but I’m sure a lot of them just take whatever is given to them 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2020 at 2:48 PM, Phil the Thrill said:

I think JB tried to the get the Adidas jerseys and from what I heard they just wouldn't sell them to him.

And I guess since this one has shipped, it's okay to show off now - someone tipped me off to this MIC Dallas Stars Winter Classic goalie. Grabbed it an absolute steal of a price:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Adidas-Dallas-Stars-Winter-Classic-2020-Jersey-Hockey-Stanley-Cup-Size-58-G-New/254727752712?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Take a look at the second image - there is a MRSP on it of $330. I have no idea what the back story is on it, but maybe @HannuVirta can shed some light.

 

Edited by JimmyGagner
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mdwsta4 said:

I feel like this has to be an EQM thing. The Caps, for example, seem to get a TON of 58’s. At least in practice jerseys (I would see them all during EQ sales) while the Flyers have more players wearing 52 than anywhere else in the league. Doesn’t make any sense unless it’s purely the EQM’s call. Obviously players have their individual input but I’m sure a lot of them just take whatever is given to them 

It's an EQM thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HannuVirta said:

That's interesting.  MIC should not have retail hangtags or a price tag, they aren't shipped to teams like that. I would have to dig into it a little bit more.   Does Dallas sell MIC in their arena store?

I've heard Hangar (Stars' team store) sells TI blanks of the home and aways, however I'm not aware of them ever selling the Winter Classics (I imagine those when have been quite popular had they and we all would have heard about it).  They currently have the practice jerseys from the Winter Classic on their site:

https://hangarhockey.com/game-used/winter-classic/

However, that $330 price point is inconsistent with what the practice jerseys are sold at - I feel like it came from somewhere else. After I have it in my hands, I'm going to ask the seller where he got it from.

I also find it interesting that the Jets sell their TI blanks. They used to have them on their website, however randomly took them down. You can still buy them by contacting their game used program. I wonder if Adidas asked them to take them down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, regarding the retail neck tags, the Winter Classic I posted isn't the first jersey to have them. There were TI Avalanche Stadium Series that had the retail tags and a couple of Blackhawk blanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HannuVirta said:

That's interesting.  MIC should not have retail hangtags or a price tag, they aren't shipped to teams like that. I would have to dig into it a little bit more.   Does Dallas sell MIC in their arena store?

My Blackhawks contact was able to get me a new collar Hawks jersey this year and it had both a sleeve tag and a neck tag. No price tag though. The old collar style Adidas jerseys I’ve gotten from him previously only had the standard sleeve tag 

2v2HARTBhx1YqB.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Van67 said:

I have nothing to base my thoughts on, but it seems to me that some teams are willing to put tags on some team-issued stock to sell in their arena stores and some are not. 

Unlike other teams, the Blackhawks do NOT sell on-ice authentic jerseys to the public. Unless that’s going to change next season, but that’s not the indication I’ve received from my contact 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2020 at 3:39 PM, KB67 said:

My example is that I ordered a ton of MiC Adidas name plates, and when they arrived, the packing slip was from SP, from the plant in Granby. The material is the MiC Adidas material, so, would they have that material at the SP factory?

Where can I buy adidas nameplates please and thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

Where can I buy adidas nameplates please and thank you.

I posted a couple ago saying I was getting some, but the order has already been placed. Sorry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, KB67 said:

I posted a couple ago saying I was getting some, but the order has already been placed. Sorry.

Is where you’re ordering from a secret?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that the league is the one who is supposed to care and not Adidas.

I just shot the seller a message, so hopefully he can answer. I asked him previously if he had any other MIC stock and he kind of avoided the question. I'm not sure if he is all that familiar with NHL jerseys. For all I know, he could have obtained it from Burlington's or a similar discount store. There was a current Canes road 58G that made it's way to Burlington's and was sold there for around $70 (and eventually flipped on eBay for much more).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...