Sportsfanmagazine.com's Around the NHL

SteveNJ

Here's my weekly column at SFM:

http://www.sportsfanmagazine.com/sfm/articles.html?id=3040

A preview:

If you notice stitches above Alex Auld's right eye anytime this week, ask him if the Eagle really hits that hard. Apparently, Eddie Belfour got into a little barroom brawl with Auld while slightly inebriated on Long Island this week.

Where have we heard this before? Oh, yes! How about in March 2000, when Belfour bribed Dallas police officials with up to $1 billion (!) to let him go for slamming a security guard into a wall with pepper spray...

Here's my weekly column at SFM:

http://www.sportsfanmagazine.com/sfm/articles.html?id=3040

A preview:

If you notice stitches above Alex Auld's right eye anytime this week, ask him if the Eagle really hits that hard. Apparently, Eddie Belfour got into a little barroom brawl with Auld while slightly inebriated on Long Island this week.

Where have we heard this before? Oh, yes! How about in March 2000, when Belfour bribed Dallas police officials with up to $1 billion (!) to let him go for slamming a security guard into a wall with pepper spray...

I thought Auld tripped on a spilled water bottle, hitting his head, while trying to help several other teammates persuade Belfour to leave a club associated with the hotel they were staying in? Belfour denies having been intoxicated, apparently.

They deny it, but I'm a little more skeptical.

Oh, I'm not saying he wasn't intoxicated. I'm just pointing out something of Belfour's wonderful personality. Doesn't matter either way though - I'd be shocked if Belfour actually intentionally hit Auld. I'm gonna go with Auld slipping on this one.

Oh, I'm not saying he wasn't intoxicated. I'm just pointing out something of Belfour's wonderful personality. Doesn't matter either way though - I'd be shocked if Belfour actually intentionally hit Auld. I'm gonna go with Auld slipping on this one.

Based on his past (namely March 8, 2000), I wouldn't be surprised if the Eagle had a hand in it, possibly in an intoxicated stupor, but I would have loved to seen it. Maybe the incident will show up on YouTube, like everything else does ;) .

Based on his past (namely March 8, 2000), I wouldn't be surprised if the Eagle had a hand in it, possibly in an intoxicated stupor, but I would have loved to seen it. Maybe the incident will show up on YouTube, like everything else does ;) .

I wouldn't be surprised, but than again I doubt there were any video cameras nearby. I'm sure Belfour was drunk and being a problem, but I'm pretty sure there were a lot of team mates trying to get him out of the hotel bar and into his room and that there would be a bigger fuss going 'round if Belfour had actually intentionally attacked Auld.