2020-21 Mandated Alternate Jersey

jsh139

I’ve heard some teams (Kings) are only wearing the Reverse Retros for 3 games all season. Seems like a massive marketing campaign for something worn so few times. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was curious as to how many times they would be worn. I understand the Devils are having two sets of them, so I have no clue how many times they are wearing them. I haven’t looked into  it at all. 

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I was curious as to how many times they would be worn. I understand the Devils are having two sets of them, so I have no clue how many times they are wearing them. I haven’t looked into  it at all. 

That'll be to auction them off. Maximise as much money as possible out of them.

According to MGG, several of their program teams are planning on wearing their Reverse Retros 6 times and that they've been told there will be 2 sets made available, so each set will be worn for only 3 games. 

I also saw a post from Winnipeg, and their schedule only shows them wearing their RRs twice. They are still wearing their Aviator 3rds a bunch, maybe 6-8 games as I recall. 

5 hours ago, jsh139 said:

I’ve heard some teams (Kings) are only wearing the Reverse Retros for 3 games all season. Seems like a massive marketing campaign for something worn so few times. 

The Kings will wear their reverse retros 4 times (1 road game also), plus their Heritage Chevys 3 times, not to mention their silver alts 6 times.  For a 56 game season, that’s almost half of their home games where they won’t be wearing the usual black ones.  I could see how they wouldn’t be able to use the reverse retros that many times, with 5 different jerseys in a shortened season.

The Flyers will be wearing two sets. The first set will be worn in 3 games (the 3rd will be the outdoor game against the Bruins in Lake Tahoe) and they are selling it at retail. Not sure how they are selling the second set, and how many games it will be worn in. 

6 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

The Kings will wear their reverse retros 4 times (1 road game also), plus their Heritage Chevys 3 times, not to mention their silver alts 6 times.  For a 56 game season, that’s almost half of their home games where they won’t be wearing the usual black ones.  I could see how they wouldn’t be able to use the reverse retros that many times, with 5 different jerseys in a shortened season.

My bad. This graphic they posted on Twitter says three games. But if you click the link to view the actual schedule, they snuck a fourth game in there. 

zWDDlQy.jpg

https://www.nhl.com/kings/news/which-jerseys-will-the-la-kings-wear-this-season/c-320278572

2 hours ago, jsh139 said:

The Flyers will be wearing two sets. The first set will be worn in 3 games (the 3rd will be the outdoor game against the Bruins in Lake Tahoe) and they are selling it at retail. Not sure how they are selling the second set, and how many games it will be worn in. 

When you say "selling it at retail" where will that be? At Wells Fargo team store or MGG? 

12 hours ago, SnakeOiler12 said:

When you say "selling it at retail" where will that be? At Wells Fargo team store or MGG? 

Oh, lol, yeah, Meigray will be selling them. I see how nebulous that statement is now. They’re taking preorders as we speak. 

I was able to reserve/pre-order a Devils RR from Meigray.  The Devils are wearing 2 sets for 2 games each (4 games total).

23 hours ago, DJ Rhea said:

That'll be to auction them off. Maximise as much money as possible out of them.

Auctions don't really work well for the Devils in terms of maximizing profit.  Outside a couple of exceptions, a lot of Devils gamer auctions the past 6-8 years have gone under what you would think they would sell for.  Examples are the 2018 Global Series where 14 gamers sold for under $700 and 2018 HHOF where all but 3 gamers sold for under $600.

Edited by Devilsguy

4 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Auctions don't really work well for the Devils in terms of maximizing profit.  Outside a couple of exceptions, a lot of Devils gamer auctions the past 6-8 years have gone under what you would think they would sell for.  Examples are the 2018 Global Series where 14 gamers sold for under $700 and 2018 HHOF where all but 3 gamers sold for under $600.

I wish Hookers Leafs were as cheap as this

18 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I was able to reserve/pre-order a Devils RR from Meigray.  The Devils are wearing 2 sets for 2 games each (4 games total).

I put my pre-order in as well. Only way to get one, unfortunately. 

I didn’t know how much they’d be worn, but I’m cool with it being worn in only 2 games if that’s what it is. 

4 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Same for Flyers. As an example, Meigray can sell Giroux gamers all day for $3,000 a piece. But I’ve yet to see any of his shirts auction for even close to that amount. 

15 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

Same for Flyers. As an example, Meigray can sell Giroux gamers all day for $3,000 a piece. But I’ve yet to see any of his shirts auction for even close to that amount. 

I think people (including myself) are willing to pay more at MeiGray than anywhere else. I don’t know why. 

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think people (including myself) are willing to pay more at MeiGray than anywhere else. I don’t know why. 

I think it’s because they make it so easy and they’re really nice to deal with. And honestly, their prices aren’t terrible compared to some. Vegas, for example, sells jerseys of 4th line scrubs for $1,000. And people buy them up like crack. 

Conversely, you’ve got Detroit Hockey Company selling Coyotes gamers on the cheap. And the Kings have their big sales from time to time. 

34 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

I think it’s because they make it so easy and they’re really nice to deal with. And honestly, their prices aren’t terrible compared to some. Vegas, for example, sells jerseys of 4th line scrubs for $1,000. And people buy them up like crack. 

Conversely, you’ve got Detroit Hockey Company selling Coyotes gamers on the cheap. And the Kings have their big sales from time to time. 

You aren’t wrong. But I think everyone knows that when you buy from them, it’s basically the top of the market. Unless, of course, a middling player breaks out or something and the prices go up. Otherwise, it seems almost impossible to get back what you paid. 

9 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Man, I wish Hawks were anywhere near this inexpensive!! The cheapest you'll find, even if it's a traded player is $800 directly from the team. It's insane

16 hours ago, jsh139 said:

I also sorta like not dealing with the whole auction process.  Auctions can often be a crapshoot.  For every other cheaper auction like the ones I mentioned before, there is a chance that the auctions can get stupid.  An example of that is the Elias Retirement night auction where most players went for $1K+.  I paid over $1200 for my Severson from that auction when his normal gamers go for something like $595.  At least with retail I know I have it, I don't have to pay for it all at once (It's likely going to be 1-4 more months before I even get this one in as they still have to wear them and give them to Meigray) and I don't have to stay up all night hitting refresh on my computer trying to scramble to get one I like.  The downside is that you have to pay for it.

And I am still pretty glad that the Devils are with Meigray.  They don't have issues with authentication/tracking as some teams do, have a gazillion sets (Ducks come to mind with that), charge out the Arse (like Vegas), or make it difficult as hell to get your hands on them (looking at you Tampa and Carolina).

12 hours ago, mdwsta4 said:

Man, I wish Hawks were anywhere near this inexpensive!! The cheapest you'll find, even if it's a traded player is $800 directly from the team. It's insane

Yeah those auctions went for a lot less than I thought.  Cheapest global series was a Severson that went for $380 and the cheapest HHOF game from 2018 went for $250 which was a Lovejoy.

13 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I also sorta like not dealing with the whole auction process.  Auctions can often be a crapshoot.  For every other cheaper auction like the ones I mentioned before, there is a chance that the auctions can get stupid.  An example of that is the Elias Retirement night auction where most players went for $1K+.  I paid over $1200 for my Severson from that auction when his normal gamers go for something like $595.  At least with retail I know I have it, I don't have to pay for it all at once (It's likely going to be 1-4 more months before I even get this one in as they still have to wear them and give them to Meigray) and I don't have to stay up all night hitting refresh on my computer trying to scramble to get one I like.  The downside is that you have to pay for it.

And I am still pretty glad that the Devils are with Meigray.  They don't have issues with authentication/tracking as some teams do, have a gazillion sets (Ducks come to mind with that), charge out the Arse (like Vegas), or make it difficult as hell to get your hands on them (looking at you Tampa and Carolina).

I know I give you guys a lot of crap, but I actually envy you Devils gameworn jersey fans.
We Rangers fans thought it couldn’t get any worse than Steiner...

”Oh, hello Fanatics!”

56 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

I know I give you guys a lot of crap, but I actually envy you Devils gameworn jersey fans.

”Oh, hello Fanatics!”

You do? I never really noticed personally. 

5 hours ago, thebiggoalie said:

”Oh, hello Fanatics!”

lol us Devils collectors can be a bit nutty but that's another coversation.

Yeah I have heard a lot of the stories with Steiner and then even more on Fanatics.  It's funny how I hear some people say how much they dislike Meigray but I don't think a lot of people put it into perspective.  Overall, I am glad the Devils are a Meigray team.  Rangers left the program 10 years ago and I still see a lot of Rangers collectors wishing they would go back to Meigray. 

Edited by Devilsguy

8 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

I also sorta like not dealing with the whole auction process.  Auctions can often be a crapshoot.  For every other cheaper auction like the ones I mentioned before, there is a chance that the auctions can get stupid. 

I also like the retail process better than the auction process.  Although, at least with Meigray's auctions, they do it the right way (IMO).  5-minute extended bidding PER item, not the whole auction, no ridiculous 20% buyer's premium, and they take credit cards.

The only downside with their auctions is that each lot ends at a different time (within a few minutes of one another), so if you just want a jersey from a particular auction, you need to win one of the first few lots. Otherwise by the time the final lots close, they can sometimes be very inflated in value as people just go down the line bidding on what's still open.