The Black Jersey Trend

SteveNJ

This needs to go away. There are far too many teams using black in their color scheme. The Blackhawks and Devils are enough.

East:

Devils

Senators

Bruins

Penguins

Flyers

Hurricanes

Lightning

Capitals

West:

Kings

Sharks

Ducks

Stars

Flames

Blackhawks

14 teams in a 30 team league is far too many. They (And all pro sports) need to move away from it.

This needs to go away. There are far too many teams using black in their color scheme. The Blackhawks and Devils are enough.

East:

Devils

Senators

Bruins

Penguins

Flyers

Hurricanes

Lightning

Capitals

West:

Kings

Sharks

Ducks

Stars

Flames

Blackhawks

14 teams in a 30 team league is far too many. They (And all pro sports) need to move away from it.

The Penguins, Senators, Stars, Bruins, and Devils shouldn't change. The Flyers best looking jersey is their black one, but they could go back to orange. The Hurricanes shouldn't even be counted here, as they only use it for trim and without they'd look pretty bad. Lightning could use a change overall in my opinion, but I don't see what else they would use. I believe the Caps are changing uni's soon but they look alright in black for now. The Kings could change, but I don't know what else they'd wear without a complete overhaul. Sharks can lose the black third, but they'll always have black in the color scheme. Ducks jerseys just came out so they won't change and they look pretty good. The Flames are ok with just a little black in their jerseys but the black third can go. The blackhawks shouldn't use the black third. It just looks like everyone else and they could just stick with their red and white jerseys. Black works with everything. The only problem is having too many teams using black as their primary color.

I think Tampa should try doing something with the shade of blue they use for their lettering.

I was thinking Blue as well, but it seems inevitable that they'd have some black as well. Still, they could use less of it.

Black is a great trim color, but should not be so overused as primary team colors. The Penguins, for instance, should wear black, just like, uh, penguins! :lol:

I agree completely. Black trim on jerseys looks fine, but when it is a solid color, it just doesn't work for some of the teams.

East:

Devils

Senators

Bruins

Penguins

Flyers

Hurricanes

Lightning

Capitals

West:

Kings

Sharks

Ducks

Stars

Flames

Blackhawks

There's a difference between black as a primary color and black as an accent color. In the former, I do agree that there was a disturbing trend for too many teams to use black as one of their main colors (Sens, Bs, Pens, Philly, etc.) but among them are teams that had used black one of their primary colors for several years before the trend took off (Boston and Pittsburgh, primarily).

The Flyers' change to the black was what really caught my attention to this trend, I believe. As I'd said in another post somewhere, from a distance, the black uniform just looks like black for the sake of black, and the orange trim isn't very visible except up close.

The 'Hawks don't need the black alternate, even though that's the one I personally own. And Calgary doesn't need it either.

New Jersey, Carolina, and Washington don't count as having black uniforms as much as just using black as accent and complementary trim. The problem with the combination of red and white is that there are very few colors that complement them as a third or fourth color (witness, that grey stripe at the bottom of the Buffalo Sabres' previous alternate jersey -- to me, that seemed out of place) without taking the focus away from the red and white. In the case of the Rangers, their primary color is blue, with red and white acting as accents.

Can't see blue being used for the Detroit Red Wings or Phoenix. :)

The Sharks' third was just way too over-the-top. Tampa can definitely use an overhaul. Keep the electric blue and white, but maybe something other than black.

L.A. would be fine with their whites and purples (purple being the traditional color of royalty and all). The black is unnecessary.

I agree Crimson. It really was black as a primary that was a problem. If the hawks and sharks drop their black thirds (which the league might require next year, I've heard) and the Flyers switch back to orange things will immediately look better, as Buffalo is back to blue and gold as well. I have to correct you on Washington though - they're entirely black at home now (though they're rumored to be returning to blue/white/red).

East:

Senators (alternate)

Bruins (home)

Penguins (home)

Flyers (home)

Lightning (home)

Capitals (home)

West:

Kings (home)

Sharks (alternate)

Ducks (home)

Flames (alternate)

Blackhawks (alternate)

The Lightning and Bruins home jerseys have always been black- but Tampa needs a new scheme altogether. I can see most of the alternate jerseys be dropped. With the new rules of only two jerseys per team starting next season, it might give more incentive for teams to look at their current jerseys and come up with a new scheme.

• 5 years later...

Yeah, there needs to be some kind of limit on the number of teams using black as a primary color. I'd personally love to see the old Purple and Gold Kings colors make a return as the primary colors. BUT, I think that the regulation that ALL the rinks should be the same be abolished. The Fraze "Home Ice Advantage" should mean more then fanfare. It should mean that the home ice players should be familiar with the dimensions of HOME ICE.

Yeah, there needs to be some kind of limit on the number of teams using black as a primary color. I'd personally love to see the old Purple and Gold Kings colors make a return as the primary colors. BUT, I think that the regulation that ALL the rinks should be the same be abolished. The Fraze "Home Ice Advantage" should mean more then fanfare. It should mean that the home ice players should be familiar with the dimensions of HOME ICE.

Ice size and shape wont change the way the rinks differ more than they already do. There are rinks that have much livelier boards than others, some rinks have stanchions that are more inconsistent than others, etc.

And the simple response to your suggestions would be "don't fix what ain't broke".

Cursed you Guam, I literally had the image prepared to post, exact same as yours. Good work. Stop hating on those poor members looking for a way to reach 25 posts hahaha.

^^^Is that necromaneer rockin a va gi na around his neck?

Great, now I can't look at it anymore without thinking dead v...

Guam - don't ever retire from these boards.

At least the topic still applies, just ask Brilliant!...and begin rant, now!

And since I'm here, welcome to the boards Jason, and cudos for -

a) going through/reading old posts (new members should definitely take a look around)

b ) trying to make a substantial contribution

Now, if only we can get you to not reply to conversations that ended in '06, you'll be the perfect board member :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

And since I'm here, welcome to the boards Jason, and cudos for -

a) going through/reading old posts (new members should definitely take a look around)

b ) trying to make a substantial contribution

Now, if only we can get you to not reply to conversations that ended in '06, you'll be the perfect board member :thumbsup:

Thanks. :thumbsup: