Jump to content

Is it possible to iron jerseys that has a washing advice that reads "DO NOT IRON"? (Ultrafil, Air-Knit etc)


Recommended Posts

Question about ironing jerseys that have a washing tag advice that says "DO NOT IRON". 

I got a CCM 1995-1996 Air-Knit and a 2005-2006 Reebok 6100 Air-Knit and a couple of CCM ultrafils and Starter jerseys that all says: "Do not iron". 

I bought them from the same seller, and they must have been stored the wrong way because the really need to be ironed.
---
Can I iron them on low heat if put a towel between the jersey and the iron?

If so, should I iron dry or wet? 
---
Or may I only use cool iron? 

Or can I not iron the jerseys at all?

I have not ironed any of my jerseys before, and was chocked they all had instructions: "DO NOT IRON"

Thanks for any advice. 
 

Edited by Lightbringer
Link to post
Share on other sites

They'll be fine. I've ironed pretty much any type of jersey you can think of. What I do is turn it inside-out and use a hot iron with a LOT of steam. Be deliberate but fluid with your motions and don't stay in one spot too long. Keep it in constant motion. If it makes you nervous, use a t-shirt over where you want to hit it. That might take a little more effort though since you're going through two layers instead of one.

The biggest thing to remember is to keep your iron's plate CLEAN. If you get any type of adhesive or residue on it and then use it on something else, it will transfer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Brilliant! said:

They'll be fine. I've ironed pretty much any type of jersey you can think of. What I do is turn it inside-out and use a hot iron with a LOT of steam. Be deliberate but fluid with your motions and don't stay in one spot too long. Keep it in constant motion. If it makes you nervous, use a t-shirt over where you want to hit it. That might take a little more effort though since you're going through two layers instead of one.

The biggest thing to remember is to keep your iron's plate CLEAN. If you get any type of adhesive or residue on it and then use it on something else, it will transfer.

giphy_zps0pqkdge8.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant is braver then I am.  I never let the iron touch a jersey directly.  Always a t-shirt on top of what I'm ironing.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

Brilliant is braver then I am.  I never let the iron touch a jersey directly.  Always a t-shirt on top of what I'm ironing.  

Yup. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I iron directly on the jersey all the tine, had an issue literally the first time I did it when I didn't use enough steam and didn't keep it moving enough. Have done probably a hundred jerseys since and never had a single problem.

I agree though, biggest thing is keep that ironing surface clean. I sometimes use mine to remove a few spots of stuck on glue, but I always super heat and then scrape any residue off, then cool and wipe with plenty of acetone. Nobody wants glue where it shouldn't be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Brilliant! said:

Live a little.

Oh I live. I drive like 5 mph over the speed limit, all the time.

#Rebel

:o

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Oh I live. I drive like 5 mph over the speed limit, all the time.

#Rebel

:o

Probably in the fast lane too...

200w_zpshpzelkjr.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, thebiggoalie said:

The tags also say "do not dry clean".

I, sir, am a rebel. 

You are the James Dean of collecting other men's shirts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You are the James Dean of collecting other men's shirts. 

The tag also says "size 48", but dammit, if I like it enough, I'll fit my size 58 arse into it anyway!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

On a somewhat related note, has anyone had luck ironing over vinyl/heat transfer graphics? I recently bought a Bears jersey with very prominent creasing but I'm scared to go anywhere near the graphics with an iron.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ironing over vinyl or heat transfer is tricky and can be a problem. Heat can either peel or crack or melt those without a proper transfer sheet between them and the iron. I have used it with limited success myself and in most cases nothing happened to ruin or improve results. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, slimcutta said:

That thing works? Looks like some junk that you can get a second one free.... but only if you call in the next thirty minutes!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...