Complaints from a player about the new jerseys

lafountain

I just came from the Lake Erie/Grand Rapids AHL game. They are wearing the Edge jerseys. I sit 4 rows from the ice behind one net. I was really surprised to see how soaked these new jerseys get with sweat. By the middle of the first period, like Desert Rat said, it looked like they had been dunked in a swimming pool. I wonder what this will do to the equipment. For example, a team packes up immediately after a game. The drenched equipment sits in bags in a bus or plane cargo area for hours. Now I'm aware that this has happened for as long as hockey has been played. But if the equipment has, let's say 30-40% more moisture, wouldn't it be more prone to mildew, rot, funk? Isn't it possible that a player could be injured due to padding breaking down during gameplay due to this?

Watching the Bruins-Coyotes game tonight, during one of the intermissions they interviewed Nick Boynton and he was completely drenched. Obviously we've all seen sweaty players interviewed during intermission, but the man looked like he was in a sauna. I can't imagine how much heat those things retain.

The flaps aren't obviously as noticeable on a darker uniform, but still, that whole look looks terrible. I gotta wonder if they were kept that way with the original intention that they were supposed to be tucked in.

I alsofind that they loof better with the curved stripes around the bottom a la Calgary, Columbus, and Washington.

Washington's new reds looked great last night against the Hurricanes! In all honesty, I didn't notice the red piping around the shoulders of the Canes new jerseys until they did a close-up.

As long as the waist stripes countour the hem of the jersey, they look OK; no flaps. Minnesota's white jersey is another example.

I don't want to go into a litany of complaints, but the curved hems really stink all-around. They make you look like a slob in a white jersey, like some slacker/bum with his shirt not tucked in, IMO. I still can't understand why Rbk insisted on that element.

As long as the waist stripes countour the hem of the jersey, they look OK; no flaps. Minnesota's white jersey is another example.

I don't want to go into a litany of complaints, but the curved hems really stink all-around. They make you look like a slob in a white jersey, like some slacker/bum with his shirt not tucked in, IMO. I still can't understand why Rbk insisted on that element.

Probably so they could put their stamp on the NHL.

• 2 weeks later...

Might the jerseys be undergoing change again?

From an article in the Boston Herald.

According to sources in the B’s dressing room, Reebok has been unable to correct problems with the new jerseys introduced this season across the NHL and will replace them at the company’s expense with new uniforms made of the old materials.

Players have complained since training camp that the new jerseys, which are supposed to be lighter and allow sweat to evaporate out through the shirts, have instead trapped water inside and gotten heavier. . . .

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/hockey/...ticleid=1040306

Might the jerseys be undergoing change again?

From an article in the Boston Herald.

According to sources in the B’s dressing room, Reebok has been unable to correct problems with the new jerseys introduced this season across the NHL and will replace them at the company’s expense with new uniforms made of the old materials.

Players have complained since training camp that the new jerseys, which are supposed to be lighter and allow sweat to evaporate out through the shirts, have instead trapped water inside and gotten heavier. . . .

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/hockey/...ticleid=1040306

If that really does happen, what a big disaster for the NHL and Reebok. Just another example of what happens when a major corporation comes in and #####-up something that didn't need to be changed in the first place. It also makes Gary Bettman look like a moron, as he was on TV trumpeting how great this will be for the game. I'll bet there are more than a few people who wish that they could wake up and find out that this was all just a bad dream.

Personally, I wouldn't mind at all if every team just switched back to their old pre-edge uniforms in the middle of the season. That's how bad and ugly I think they all are.

Compared to the disasters we've seen this year, ANY pre-edge jersey from the 06-07 season would be a sight for sore eyes.

This is turning out to be a very interesting situation. I'm curious to see if the NHL will put these the way of the NBA's new basketball from last season or if they're going to continue to "tweak" the materials and redo them. Reebok isn't helping the NHL look good on this whole situation. I'm still curious to see sales figures of the new jerseys.

The Boston Herald may have jumped the gun on this.

http://www.uniwatchblog.com/

Yeah that Boston story was incorrect...but they are right that some custom changes will be made if requested by players. The better material they would use to fix the problem though is supposedly the old material from the 6100 jerseys according to Kypreos on Hockeycentral. Need someone to confirm this for me.

During the Coyotes-Ducks game on FSN Arizona, it appeared to me like a couple of Coyotes players, namely Nick Boynton one of them, had altered their hemline like the Rangers player had. DesertRat, if you watched the game, did you happen to notice?

From what I've seen on the cbssportsline.com NHL photos page, it looks like the altered hemline is becoming common amongst some NHLers.

While I can understand the fan resentment of the new jerseys, I'm personally holding off on judgment until I get my hands on an Edge later today. Then, check the it arrived today thread to see how I feel about one.

You can complain that it's too expensive, which it probably is, or that it's not your style, which it might not be, but give one a shot. I did, and the more I look at them the more I like them. Can't wait for my package from icejerseys to arrive today!

See you all soon.

While I can understand the fan resentment of the new jerseys, I'm personally holding off on judgment until I get my hands on an Edge later today. Then, check the it arrived today thread to see how I feel about one.

You can complain that it's too expensive, which it probably is, or that it's not your style, which it might not be, but give one a shot. I did, and the more I look at them the more I like them. Can't wait for my package from icejerseys to arrive today!

See you all soon.

I agree with you to a certain degree. Me personally, I'm debating on getting the new San Jose jersey just because I've grown to really like the Sharks in the last two seasons and I like the traditional style of their new jerseys. Seeing their new one in person really caught my attention and trying it on made me actually like the fit. With that being said, my biggest aggravation on the new jersey is the fact that I think its less about the team on front and less about the NHL and more about Reebok making their mark and doing things their way, which I think it disturbing and irritating. There is a Reebok hockey commercial for the new jerseys in which players make a comment about it not being for the name on the back, but the logo on the front. I think its all about the little vector logo on the neck more.

I think its all about the little vector logo on the neck more.

I certainly can see your point there, especially with the way some teams have altered their jersey design to better emphasize the vector (I'm looking at you Thrashers!). Maybe I'm slightly more okay with it because I see branding all over the NHL. Goalie pads, skates, sticks, helmets, everything has a brand name attached to it, and in most cases much more visibly than the vector. By no means am I defending "logo creep" or whatever you'd like to call it, but I for one notice the word "Bauer" across a goalies pads or "CCM" across a stick in large type, or hell, the huge logos all over the arena on the boards, in the ice, on the scoreboard, if I'm not mistaken on the puck, et cetera, a lot more than a tiny symbol on the player's neck. How is this any different than last years jersey, which also featured a vector on the neck? Or heck, go back even further, before the vector it was CCM or KOHO on the neck. Further back, they were still there, just in different locations.

I don't yet know how I'm gonna feel about the long tails, we'll see when that package gets here, but the Reebok logo doesn't bother me in the least. I look at it like the "Polo" guy on a polo shirt, or the Jeep badge on the front of my car. Just part of the design, for better or worse.

Now, some of the overall stylistic redesigns, there are some of those I disagree with, but its nice to see something new, let the league try out different equipment, see how it works. 10 years from now, if they prove to be a resounding failure, we can at least say we own a piece of offbeat history.

Edit:

Well, the sleeves are a little longer than I would have expected, and the material is a little thinner, but all in all I'm absolutely in love with my new Bolts sweater. In fact, I'm so in love I'm off to get better stuff to store it with than wire hangers and a plastic bag.

Ice Jerseys did a phenomenal job with the customization, even down to the last minute addition of front numbers, which didn't even come on home jerseys until AFTER my order was placed. I can't sing the praises of IJ.com highly enough, I've never been so happy with a purchase online.

Anyway, enough being a spokesperson, I'm off. Here's the pics, and I apologize in advance for the quality. I'm not an expert jersey poser like most posters on here...

img1484ms1.jpg

img1485cw7.jpg

I certainly can see your point there, especially with the way some teams have altered their jersey design to better emphasize the vector (I'm looking at you Thrashers!). Maybe I'm slightly more okay with it because I see branding all over the NHL. Goalie pads, skates, sticks, helmets, everything has a brand name attached to it, and in most cases much more visibly than the vector. By no means am I defending "logo creep" or whatever you'd like to call it, but I for one notice the word "Bauer" across a goalies pads or "CCM" across a stick in large type, or hell, the huge logos all over the arena on the boards, in the ice, on the scoreboard, if I'm not mistaken on the puck, et cetera, a lot more than a tiny symbol on the player's neck. How is this any different than last years jersey, which also featured a vector on the neck? Or heck, go back even further, before the vector it was CCM or KOHO on the neck. Further back, they were still there, just in different locations.

I don't yet know how I'm gonna feel about the long tails, we'll see when that package gets here, but the Reebok logo doesn't bother me in the least. I look at it like the "Polo" guy on a polo shirt, or the Jeep badge on the front of my car. Just part of the design, for better or worse.

Now, some of the overall stylistic redesigns, there are some of those I disagree with, but its nice to see something new, let the league try out different equipment, see how it works. 10 years from now, if they prove to be a resounding failure, we can at least say we own a piece of offbeat history.

Edit:

Well, the sleeves are a little longer than I would have expected, and the material is a little thinner, but all in all I'm absolutely in love with my new Bolts sweater. In fact, I'm so in love I'm off to get better stuff to store it with than wire hangers and a plastic bag.

Ice Jerseys did a phenomenal job with the customization, even down to the last minute addition of front numbers, which didn't even come on home jerseys until AFTER my order was placed. I can't sing the praises of IJ.com highly enough, I've never been so happy with a purchase online.

Anyway, enough being a spokesperson, I'm off. Here's the pics, and I apologize in advance for the quality. I'm not an expert jersey poser like most posters on here...

img1484ms1.jpg

img1485cw7.jpg

That's a sharp looking jersey. Good choice on Richards as well.

Branding in hockey itself doesn't bother me and in all honesty, I don't normally focus on what the manufacturer's tag is. I own two of the previous Reebok authentic jerseys and love both of them, as they are very comfortable and feel like their going to last awhile. I also own quite a few Reebok hockey shirts and hats, so that's not my issue there. If them being in hockey makes the apparel more easier to come by in malls and sports stores, then I'm all for it.

Now with that being said, my irritation with Reebok and this new Edge jersey system has everything to do with the fact that I feel like teams' have lost their individuality in most cases. Take for example the Thrashers and the Flyers...they basically have the same jersey, just different colors and well the logo of course. Pittsburgh, Ottawa, and yes, Tampa's jerseys all look the same to me with the same difference of the colors. I dislike this template thing bigtime and the fact that most teams couldn't keep their original designs and just transfer them onto the new jersey. The moisture wicking material that's become more popular these days is actually something I'm surprised didn't translate over to the jerseys sooner. If it makes the jerseys better for the players over the course of a game and season, then why would I be against it? I think the moisture wicking aspect itself, is a good idea. This change was suddenly thrown out by Reebok (and yes the NHL) all at once and is something I am thinking it would've been better to try to phase in, considering all the complaints that have surfaced regarding the new jerseys. I probably would have a different opinion if the changes would've been more gradual, instead of thrown out all at once. I read about this program during the lockout and at first it scared me, so I've been wondering what was going to happen with it.

To the styles though, I'm a traditionalist and would prefer the Colorado Avalanche (one of my favorites) retain their old look which to me was unique and didn't resemble the new Nashville jersey one bit (there's a resemblance there to me in the new ones) and I also don't understand this piping thing. Some teams could pull it off, but by adding white or red piping to the Hurricanes jerseys is just a change for the sake of making a change, which to me is pointless and a moneygrab. Don't get me started on what the Oilers did, I'm still trying to figure that one out. Me personally, I believe that there are about 4-5 templates that each team had to use.

To sum it all up, I prefer each team having their own unique identity jerseywise. Its what's made this sport's jerseys so great over the years. To me, Reebok's new program has taken that away...why did that have to go?

When it comes to the replicas, when they came out with this new program, I also saw the prices go up and the quality go down. That's precisely what they did with the NFL replicas. I've owned four of those babies which have become ruined by just going into the washer ONCE. The previous Nike, Starter, Champion, and Adidas replicas held up for a long time. I owned a Titans Eddie George Nike jersey which I wore religiously my freshman year of college and had it through the washer numerous times, and saw it remain in good condition for the long run and the numbers stay in place and the material hold up. I bought that jersey for $40. When I've seen the new NHL replicas, which now go for $115 in most places, the material feels cheap to me and I'm hesitant to spend my money on something that may rip (the old ones prior to the 550s did, but they usually cost anywhere from $40-$65) and not last anywhere near as long as my CCM and Koho 550s have. I harp on my aggravation on their NFL replicas quite a bit, but its my best example and doesn't mean I'm not considering getting the new Premier replica. I'm still being cautious on that one, its a LOT of money for me.

If a team's going to change their design and logo...then great, do it and do it right, but to have to do it because of a new jersey program...well I just feel like there should've been a way to maintain the unique identity that each team had. The Flyers old jerseys were classics to me, the new ones...no... I tend to think that this was just Reebok's way of making THEIR stamp on the sport and so far the results seem to be they need improvement... I've not had many good experiences with Reebok's athletic equipment (jerseys, running shoes, etc.) so I'm soured on them in that regard. Their t-shirts are nice though!

I hate this templated stuff. rbk has left their ugly, ugly footprint on the NHL as they've done with other sports (Denver Broncos anyone?). They've ruined the unique identity of every team, even the Original Six with Detroit switching the captain letters because there was no space, and the Rangers smooshing their wordmark because of that seam. They've ruined the traditional designs They even had Florida's jersey box off a little space just for the rbk logo! All of this just for some little 5% or something increase in player speed? You, a fan, wouldn't even be able to tell the difference and see it, yet rbk uses it to pressure the NHL into using their obviously flawed and under-tested uniform system.

That's a sharp looking jersey. Good choice on Richards as well.

To the styles though, I'm a traditionalist and would prefer the Colorado Avalanche (one of my favorites) retain their old look which to me was unique and didn't resemble the new Nashville jersey one bit (there's a resemblance there to me in the new ones) and I also don't understand this piping thing. Some teams could pull it off, but by adding white or red piping to the Hurricanes jerseys is just a change for the sake of making a change, which to me is pointless and a moneygrab. Don't get me started on what the Oilers did, I'm still trying to figure that one out. Me personally, I believe that there are about 4-5 templates that each team had to use.

To sum it all up, I prefer each team having their own unique identity jerseywise. Its what's made this sport's jerseys so great over the years. To me, Reebok's new program has taken that away...why did that have to go?

When it comes to the replicas, when they came out with this new program, I also saw the prices go up and the quality go down. That's precisely what they did with the NFL replicas. I've owned four of those babies which have become ruined by just going into the washer ONCE. The previous Nike, Starter, Champion, and Adidas replicas held up for a long time. I owned a Titans Eddie George Nike jersey which I wore religiously my freshman year of college and had it through the washer numerous times, and saw it remain in good condition for the long run and the numbers stay in place and the material hold up. I bought that jersey for $40. When I've seen the new NHL replicas, which now go for $115 in most places, the material feels cheap to me and I'm hesitant to spend my money on something that may rip (the old ones prior to the 550s did, but they usually cost anywhere from $40-$65) and not last anywhere near as long as my CCM and Koho 550s have. I harp on my aggravation on their NFL replicas quite a bit, but its my best example and doesn't mean I'm not considering getting the new Premier replica. I'm still being cautious on that one, its a LOT of money for me.

If a team's going to change their design and logo...then great, do it and do it right, but to have to do it because of a new jersey program...well I just feel like there should've been a way to maintain the unique identity that each team had. The Flyers old jerseys were classics to me, the new ones...no... I tend to think that this was just Reebok's way of making THEIR stamp on the sport and so far the results seem to be they need improvement... I've not had many good experiences with Reebok's athletic equipment (jerseys, running shoes, etc.) so I'm soured on them in that regard. Their t-shirts are nice though!

Thanks, I'm very excited to wear it to the game tonight for the first time! (Go Bolts! Home game, so we might not get shut-out!)

I just checked out the only non-hockey jersey I own, a Bucs jersey from the year we won the superbowl (which was a gift), and it's a Reebok. Name and numbers are heat applied and it's got that evil jock tag on the front, so I'm guessing it's a replica. I didn't even know till I did some research that it wasn't authentic. I didn't know they sewed their numbers on in the NFL too. I've never worn the thing, so it's never gone through the wash, but I'm guessing from what you tell me I shouldn't try to wash the darn thing, so in the closet it lives. (And now that I look at it, it does bear a striking resemblance to the new NHL jerseys, with the front neck crest, jock tags, inside lining, and a few other features).

It certainly does appear RBK went out of their way to use a few basic templates. Maybe I'm not bitter because my team made it out relatively unscathed (underarm striping, glad it's still there) and I actually prefer the new logo by a huge margin, whereas others didn't (I'm looking at you Slugs). I don't like the long tails, but on a dark jersey like mine, it's hard to see that.

While I'd rather own a few full authentics than a closet full of replicas, I can understand their appeal, and I completely agree that they've taken a tremendous step back on quality of the reps now. If I was ever considering a replica before, that's off the table until they ditch those hideous arm patches. If not for that, I might consider one. I'd feel a lot better about spilling a beer on a replica than an authentic I just dropped over 300 bucks on. Although, with this new BeadAway technology (which I was playing with yesterday and getting a real kick out of), maybe it won't matter, as it'll just slide right off. I can see how the players would have trouble with 'em. Hopefully it keeps me cool and comfortable. Anyone have a clue how they'll wash since they seem downright allergic to water?

Yeah, all in all I think Reebok has attempted to put their mark on the sport, I guess I'm just not bitter because they didn't make any changes that ruin the jersey for me, and made a few I really like. Although, I wish I had ordered a 50 instead of a 52, but all the warnings of people saying "order a size bigger!!!" made me panic, and there's nowhere around here to try an authentic on. Heck, even the St. Pete Times forum only has replica, which is why despite 350 dollars in "forum bucks" to spend on anything in the place, I still bought my jersey here.

Thanks, I'm very excited to wear it to the game tonight for the first time! (Go Bolts! Home game, so we might not get shut-out!)

I just checked out the only non-hockey jersey I own, a Bucs jersey from the year we won the superbowl (which was a gift), and it's a Reebok. Name and numbers are heat applied and it's got that evil jock tag on the front, so I'm guessing it's a replica. I didn't even know till I did some research that it wasn't authentic. I didn't know they sewed their numbers on in the NFL too. I've never worn the thing, so it's never gone through the wash, but I'm guessing from what you tell me I shouldn't try to wash the darn thing, so in the closet it lives. (And now that I look at it, it does bear a striking resemblance to the new NHL jerseys, with the front neck crest, jock tags, inside lining, and a few other features).

It certainly does appear RBK went out of their way to use a few basic templates. Maybe I'm not bitter because my team made it out relatively unscathed (underarm striping, glad it's still there) and I actually prefer the new logo by a huge margin, whereas others didn't (I'm looking at you Slugs). I don't like the long tails, but on a dark jersey like mine, it's hard to see that.

While I'd rather own a few full authentics than a closet full of replicas, I can understand their appeal, and I completely agree that they've taken a tremendous step back on quality of the reps now. If I was ever considering a replica before, that's off the table until they ditch those hideous arm patches. If not for that, I might consider one. I'd feel a lot better about spilling a beer on a replica than an authentic I just dropped over 300 bucks on. Although, with this new BeadAway technology (which I was playing with yesterday and getting a real kick out of), maybe it won't matter, as it'll just slide right off. I can see how the players would have trouble with 'em. Hopefully it keeps me cool and comfortable. Anyone have a clue how they'll wash since they seem downright allergic to water?

Yeah, all in all I think Reebok has attempted to put their mark on the sport, I guess I'm just not bitter because they didn't make any changes that ruin the jersey for me, and made a few I really like. Although, I wish I had ordered a 50 instead of a 52, but all the warnings of people saying "order a size bigger!!!" made me panic, and there's nowhere around here to try an authentic on. Heck, even the St. Pete Times forum only has replica, which is why despite 350 dollars in "forum bucks" to spend on anything in the place, I still bought my jersey here.

I've always been a broad hockey fan, in the sense that the city I grow up in didn't have an NHL team and I never felt compelled to pull for a certain team while growing up. The Blackhawks were one of my faves as well as the Rangers. Yet with Patrick Roy being my hero as a kid, when he went to the Avalanche I was a Colorado fan and have stayed that way since. Although I also have a handful of other teams I like. The Avalanche have been the only one I've always been compelled to root for and that happened while I was in high school. One of the things I had always loved about the Avalanche was the uniqueness of the color and style of their jerseys. I'll probably ultimately end up getting the new Avalanche one someday because the new ones are now part of their history, but I still cringe when I look at it because I feel like they took a step backwards. One thing for certain, I'd have a very hard time getting a replica, because like you, that shoulder patch just looks really cheap on the Avs jerseys IMO. Yet, I have collected mostly replicas and only own 5 authentics that I've been able to get either from EBay or on sale (2 were the Reebok authentics that went on sale over the summer). The nice thing about the replicas I own, is I feel like from the original CCM Maskas to the recent 550s, they improved in quality and even durability. I am glad to hear you're enjoying your jersey, I have yet to see an authentic to judge what I think of it overall. I'm hoping I get a chance to when I finally make it to a Coyotes game this season.

I am glad to hear you're enjoying your jersey, I have yet to see an authentic to judge what I think of it overall. I'm hoping I get a chance to when I finally make it to a Coyotes game this season.

Hopefully you'll get a chance to get your hands on an authentic at the Jobing.com Arena, they're a very different feel. I know here at the St. Pete Times Forum, they don't even sell authentics, At least, not yet this season, so I had to order my authentic on blind faith and hope I picked an ok size. Heck, I haven't even seen more than at most 1 or 2 authentics on fans yet besides me. But, at least here, the demand must be there, because lots of people have picked up replicas, train wreck of a shoulder patch or not.

I've actually since quite a bit of Rangers authentics at the Garden so far this year. Of course, the replicas do outnumber them but there are people out there with the authentics. I haven't taken the tour of the shops at the Garden yet but I'm pretty sure they're selling them there as well as the NHL store in Manhattan too.

I've actually since quite a bit of Rangers authentics at the Garden so far this year. Of course, the replicas do outnumber them but there are people out there with the authentics. I haven't taken the tour of the shops at the Garden yet but I'm pretty sure they're selling them there as well as the NHL store in Manhattan too.

Yeah, they're a much rarer commodity down here, part of living in Hockey Bay and not Detroit or Toronto. The Forum still only had replicas at last night's game too, so maybe there's just not enough of a demand down here for a $250 blank jersey? It makes me scratch my head because I see tons of people using the customization store set up inside the Forum dropping $80 to get authentic lettering on a replica jersey. To each their own I guess.

That new NHL store in Manhattan looks amazing, I was looking at pictures and video of it's opening. They drove a Zamboni right down the streets of NY!

I was at a Just Sports at Westgate (near Jobing.com Arena) on friday and noticed they still have quite a large selection of replicas, from about a dozen teams. Of course the authentics were located on a rack up high and I didn't have enough time to ask an associate to get one down for me. The one girl I did talk to about it said the Wings ones sold out pretty quick when the Wings were in town a few weeks back (surprise surprise there...). The new Dallas home one looks nice, if it wasn't for the name and the spot for the number on front. Its almost a throwback type to the Stars' original Dallas jerseys.