Complaints from a player about the new jerseys

lafountain

The complaint makes perfect sense.

Even though the jerseys are lighter, water repellant etc they ARE NOT the most important pieces of equipment a player wears.

If your gloves are soaked...you got no hands.

if your skates are wet...you got no wheels.

As a goaltender i can hardly imagine what my gloves and skates would feel like if all the sweat off my jersey went into my gear...its been bad enough w/the regular jerseys.

I certain that the NHL/RBK and other equipment manufacturers will come up with new equipment and or soultions to resolve this problem.

They do look sharp though....

Villa

I think they need to address this with the performance undergarments worn by the players. I am surprised A: that they would sweat as much as (or more than) they used to with the improved breathability and cooling factors of the new jerseys, and B: that the new hi-tech undergarments worn by the players don't prevent the sweat from running down into their equipment.

The undergarments (ie DriFit, Underarmour,etc) do a great job absorbing the sweat from the legs and torso.

Unfortunately our entire bodies sweat, including our hands and feet.

I'm puzzled...RBK has been working on their form fitting jerseys since the 1970's and even partnered with Hollywood during those early design efforts...

Take a look.

http://sabresnotslugs.blogspot.com/2007/08...rm-designs.html

I went to a Q&A session last night with Wez Walz and Brian Rolston of the Wild and someone asked them what they thought of the new jerseys.

Rolston's first and honest reaction was "We're probably not the right guys to ask about that.", clearly indicating they were not fans of the problems associated with the new jerseys, but then Rolston went onto say some nice, generic things about the new uni's in a way, trying not to get into trouble. He said lighter is better and that they have been wearing the same type of equipment "unchanged for the last 100 years", so he seemed happy that someone was looking at how to improve things, but reading between the lines you could clearly get that he and Wes weren't overly pleased with the outcome of the changes.

I went to a Q&A session last night with Wez Walz and Brian Rolston of the Wild and someone asked them what they thought of the new jerseys.

Rolston's first and honest reaction was "We're probably not the right guys to ask about that.", clearly indicating they were not fans of the problems associated with the new jerseys, but then Rolston went onto say some nice, generic things about the new uni's in a way, trying not to get into trouble. He said lighter is better and that they have been wearing the same type of equipment "unchanged for the last 100 years", so he seemed happy that someone was looking at how to improve things, but reading between the lines you could clearly get that he and Wes weren't overly pleased with the outcome of the changes.

I'd be curious to see what Brett Hull would've thought of these things. I've noticed there seems to be more news about players not liking them.

I'd be curious to see what Brett Hull would've thought of these things. I've noticed there seems to be more news about players not liking them.

What would have Gretzky thought... "######, I could've scored even more points" ? :blink:

The undergarments (ie DriFit, Underarmour,etc) do a great job absorbing the sweat from the legs and torso.

Unfortunately our entire bodies sweat, including our hands and feet.

sure - but jerseys shouldn't have any impact on that though...

More complaints about the same problems.

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2007/...523909-sun.html

This is something that needs to be addressed one way or another. I agree that the league will not go back to the old style jerseys, but some sort of modification needs to be made.

Which would kind of suck and be cool for those who have bought Authentics already as they wouldn't have what the players are wearing post modification, but they would have something that was used for a very short period of time.

Now that preseason games have started and regular season games this weekend we are starting to get the full impression of the new jerseys from players as opposed to just wearing them for display purposes as models.

More complaints about the same problems.

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2007/...523909-sun.html

This is something that needs to be addressed one way or another. I agree that the league will not go back to the old style jerseys, but some sort of modification needs to be made.

Which would kind of suck and be cool for those who have bought Authentics already as they wouldn't have what the players are wearing post modification, but they would have something that was used for a very short period of time.

Now that preseason games have started and regular season games this weekend we are starting to get the full impression of the new jerseys from players as opposed to just wearing them for display purposes as models.

I'm kind of starting to wonder how much they really tested them during REAL games. Surely something like this would've come up sooner?

From the StarTribune;

"Guaranteed to tear

Boogaard won't be getting an endorsement deal now, but as he predicted earlier in camp, his jersey tore Sunday during his first training camp scrap with Chicago's David Koci.

"I told you it would," Boogaard said. "Oh well. If somebody gets hurt, it's Reebok's fault. They're the ones that told us it wasn't going to rip."

The new NHL sweaters rip so easily, trainers plan to bring several Boogaard jerseys on the road."

That's not good press at all!

http://www.startribune.com/wild/story/1455976.html

JeffB

"I told you it would," Boogaard said. "Oh well. If somebody gets hurt, it's Reebok's fault. They're the ones that told us it wasn't going to rip."

Man, the NHL can't get anything right can it? Did you guys see the great Uniwatch review of the jerseys? A really damning article....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...mp;sportCat=nhl

HA!! I just love the phrase 'Bettman stripes'. That's fantastic!

I love Uniwatch and was waiting for them to do a sum up of the new jerseys and I was not disappointed. It will be interesting to see if there are tweaks in season to the jerseys this year or whether the offseason will bring changes (by that I mean change to the quality and form of the jersey not the horrible colors/striping which also should be changed).

There are some interesting complaints coming out. The one thing I loved about the old replicas when I played, was the fact that they were big enough you could get a nice breeze during game play and the fact they did breathe well. I'm starting to wonder how long this Edge jersey project is going to work out.

Last night, the Coyotes jerseys looked good, even without waist stripes, until they played for a few minutes. Soon, it looked like every player just came out of the swimming pool. All the recent press about the jerseys holding the sweat in are not off-base. They are warm jerseys. I sat at ice level, not wearing an undershirt beneath my Edge jersey and did not feel the usual chill. Yet, the jersey felt very light. The heat transfer dynamics of the jersey are just odd.

More reviews on the new jerseys.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...0439/1128/rss16

New sweaters

All the NHL teams have begun wearing the new Reebok jerseys, but the reviews have been anything but extraordinary.

Many players are complaining about the fact the jerseys are trapping moisture and soaking their equipment.

"The guy who designed the jerseys hasn't played hockey," said Chris Chelios , who isn't thrilled with the jerseys or the new socks.

"The socks are tearing easily because they're light and thin," Chelios said.

Coach Mike Babcock hasn't noticed any difference.

"The logo in front is as beautiful as I've ever seen it," he said.

I like the Coyotes new jerseys, but I still think it needs waist stripes and to get rid of that freaking flap that hangs out on both ends ala NFL replica jerseys. Looks terrible IMO, they looked like long t-shirts.

The ones that aren't WHITE on a darker colored pants don't stand out as much. While at the Rangers game on Thursday, everyone was mumbling about how crappy the white tail looked on the back of the jersey and on how gay Jagr looked with his jersey TUCKED IN.