*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

6 minutes ago, JJM4 said:

I'd never ship out a jersey only partially paid for unless it was a situation like Fitz had with it being a member here that I knew and dealt with in the past.

It was definitely a unique situation that I would not suggest in 99 out of 100 cases. But me and the same board member frequently bought/sold with each other and would drop stuff in the mail before the other had a chance to send the payment, etc. We both knew we were good for it. 

Miss having you on the boards @JoeM7392

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

Payment plans??? Why not just slap it on the old credit card? 

I never understand that either, but I have credit cards with room on them. I’m guessing a lot of people don’t. 

But yeah, if I can pay you in 2 weeks when I get paid, I can just pay the CC instead. Pretty simple. 

I did a two-payment deal on a jersey with the Dude once and I accepted a 3-payment deal on a jersey from a guy on the Flyers FB group once. Both worked out well. 

3 hours ago, jsh139 said:

I did a two-payment deal on a jersey with the Dude once and I accepted a 3-payment deal on a jersey from a guy on the Flyers FB group once. Both worked out well. 

All about the people you’re dealing with. The Dude can be trusted. 

12 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

A Flyers fan?? He’s out of his mind!!!

;) 

Crazy I know. He’s got a couple Flyers jerseys. I think he has one for sale right now, actually. The one I bought from him was a really nice preseason worn Eagle mesh from 1985, I believe. It’s the one in slim’s book. Been passed around a bunch of members and finally landed in my lap. 

9 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

That was too easy. (Also what she said). 

Indeed. 

That’s twice in a couple days I’ve been involved in conversations regarding board members who, while still registered, I’d have to call them “former” board members. It sucks when we lose the good ones. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It sucks ...... the good ones. 

TWSS.

So it looks like filing a PayPal claim on someone who won't buy back a jersey you sold them months ago (and had no issues with) because you want to find another purchase is a thing now.

17 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

So it looks like filing a PayPal claim on someone who won't buy back a jersey you sold them months ago (and had no issues with) because you want to find another purchase is a thing now.

Three months is a LONG time, PayPal's policies re: same are absolutely ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

WTF.

I don’t get it.  Does this only happen if the seller accepts returns?  If so, isn’t there some cutoff point after which a buyer can no longer request a return?

3 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

I don’t get it.  Does this only happen if the seller accepts returns?  If so, isn’t there some cutoff point after which a buyer can no longer request a return?

There is, but I believe its 6 months. Which is, of course, WAY too long. Anything over a month is excessive, possibly anything after 2 weeks. I would like to know the identity of this jack hole and their eBay name, if any, so that I can avoid doing business with them. 

Not that I have any Capitals jerseys. 

On 9/18/2019 at 4:18 PM, LAK74 said:

It wasn't through eBay.  It was a deal done between two people on FB via PayPal.

• 1 month later...

Stories like these are why I just about refuse to do any business whatsoever on FB.  I made one trade very recently, but only because the guy had good feedback on other past trades.  Plus what he was offering up for sale was a really rare item that I figured he at least was a dedicated collector.  The entire transaction turned out flawlessly, but I was still very nervous all the way up until both jerseys arrived at their respective doorsteps.  It's not a problem that's specific to just FB/Reddit...but the audiences in both of those communities are so large that it's nearly impossible to know who you are dealing with - unlike a tight-knit group like this where you get to know most everyone.

• 1 month later...

A lot of discussion lately on FB on etiquette on buyer's side on deals.  In particular are those commenting/complaining about prices on people's for sale posts and often those have the effect of discouraging other prospective buyers.  The way I see it there are some simple solutions:

1) Go back to forums.  A lot of these comments are made by people who are not really in the hobby and have little experience in the prices.  Hell a lot of them only comment to complain about someone else's prices anyways.  Forums like this one helps filter these types of people out.

2)More moderation in the FB groups.  Hate to say this but sometimes a little more moderation than nothing at all can be good.  Some groups I'm in take a good stand on this type of behavior and it works far more often than not.

3) not post prices.  Not the most appealing for obvious reasons but it does work.  I do this often on non-jersey hobby groups (ex: Devils fan groups) and it does help to eliminate this.