*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

19 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

One nice thing about the "if only..." comments it that they bring your sale post to the top without you having to bump it.  But, that's about all they're good for.

That's about it.  However it quickly gets lost in the sea of for sale posts of jerseys in leagues you barely or never have even heard of.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reddit > Facebook

I have yet to make a sale on Facebook, but I have been pretty successful on Reddit. There's also a lot less dummies on there and people seem to be genuinely interested in other people's collections. They don't ask if what you posted is for sale every time, which is my biggest pet peeve about the Facebook groups. 

I feel like this is how every mailday post goes on Facebook:

OP: "Got these in today"

30 people replying: "is it for sale?????"

10 more people: "how much??"

OP: "not for sale"

At least 1 more person: "I'm also interested. I've been looking for this style for a long time."

I check Reddit here and there and all I usually see are authentics and not gamers.  Do people sell gamers on there?

And when people are interested in what you just picked up, they will only be willing to offer 60% what you paid for it.  I generally only post stuff I would be open to moving (not actively shopping, but if a good trade or offer came up, then why not).

Guest Dr_Puck

Facebook selling makes no sense. I tend to sell the most random junk out of my collection but some of my decent jerseys (especially those above $250) get no movement.

But we all know the secret to successful selling is to either 1) Bump your post every hour or every day or 2) Simply delete a post and then re-post the same thing a week later. Courtesy is not often a consideration. 

3 hours ago, LetsGoHomeBaby said:

The mooks in the main group that can't sense the sarcasm in the Bourque post. :lol:

“Bourke”

It's pretty funny how many people took that post seriously. At the same time it is telling at how much of that cr@p actually happens where for many it is hard to distinguish someone doing it sarcastically or someone just being an idiot.

FB is the worst place for this hobby to be on simply because FB makes it so hard to see what you want to see and what you don't want to see. I hesitate to even view the comments of certain posts because once I do that, the stupid FB algorithm will automatically think I am super interested in that post and will kick it near the top every single time I am in that group. That's an awful way to sorting and wish there was a way to turn it off so everything is sorted chronologically. There are brand new posts on there that I have to scroll through about a dozen or two old posts that I previously clicked on 2 weeks earlier for a minute just to get to that brand new post.

Edited by Devilsguy

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

It's pretty funny how many people took that post seriously. At the same time it is telling at how much of that cr@p actually happens where for many it is hard to distinguish someone doing it sarcastically or someone just being an idiot.

FB is the worst place for this hobby to be on simply because FB makes it so hard to see what you want to see and what you don't want to see. I hesitate to even view the comments of certain posts because once I do that, the stupid FB algorithm will automatically think I am super interested in that post and will kick it near the top every single time I am in that group. That's an awful way to sorting and wish there was a way to turn it off so everything is sorted chronologically. There are brand new posts on there that I have to scroll through about a dozen or two old posts that I previously clicked on 2 weeks earlier for a minute just to get to that brand new post.

The worst is when FB will decide to alert me of a new thread in one of those groups... that was posted like 12 hours ago.  Like, WTF??

Do you guys use the FB app or use it in-browser? I typically use the app on my phone and that's where a lot of problems arise. When viewing on a browser it seems the alerts and organization is overall a lot better than on the app.

34 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

The goalie group is hard. My browser will go days with no new posts and then I all of a sudden see bunch dated for weeks ago. 

This. I’ve been staring at Larry’s Belfour Panthers jersey for what feels like months. 

Guest Dr_Puck
3 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

This. I’ve been staring at Larry’s Belfour Panthers jersey for what feels like months. 

The mods suck in that group anyway. 

11 minutes ago, LetsGoHomeBaby said:

Remember, every movie worn jersey is worth more than 5k

Because it was worn in Mystery Alaska, the box-office smash movie EVERYBODY has seen. 

Facebook jackass:“What is your best price?”

Me: ”avoiding a transaction with you.”

A large part of me hopes that Berard raffle works out.  It will provide further evidence that the hobby is driven more by bargain hunting than genuine collecting.

12 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

A large part of me hopes that Berard raffle works out.  It will provide further evidence that the hobby is driven more by bargain hunting than genuine collecting.

I saw that post yesterday but I can’t find it now. Maybe he sold it outright?

3 minutes ago, furiousd said:

I just learned that using past auction results to determine price is "bush-league nonsense." That... doesn't seem right.

I’d think that would depend on what auctions you’re talking about.