*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

15 minutes ago, LetsGoHomeBaby said:

Not that I know of. I think Derek just did it on his own

He drove halfway across Ohio to get the jersey, then flew to Vegas the next day with the intention to go Game 5 (if necessary) and find a way to get Dylan the jersey. Since there was no Game 5, a contact who saw this got in touch with the Vegas equipment manager and the jersey got  to Dylan. It was great to see but the whole thing kind of had a Lloyd Christmas vibe to it. That and he must have an understanding wife for sure!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

He drove halfway across Ohio to get the jersey, then flew to Vegas the next day with the intention to go Game 5 (if necessary) and find a way to get Dylan the jersey. Since there was no Game 5, a contact who saw this got in touch with the Vegas equipment manager and the jersey got  to Dylan. It was great to see but the whole thing kind of had a Lloyd Christmas vibe to it. That and he must have an understanding wife for sure!

Ain't these people heard of Priority Mail???

On 4/16/2018 at 4:43 PM, Dr_Puck said:

Not many people are coming across as helpful in those threads. The attacks on each other, the dumb memes, and the random posts are distracting from the broader issue. I don't care how you feel about those involved specifically, the mods in that group have some real decisions to make. Regardless of who attacked whom, they need to get to the root of the problems and deal wth it. The whole "mods shouldn't be heavy handed" line is carp. Frankly it's making the whole hobby look petty since it's the largest group. I get it, you found a clever GIF of someone eating popcorn and you're there for the comments ... how is that helping?

They also come across as very sarcastic/douchbaggish/dickish and greedy. I only ever posted on one of the groups because I had a question about a couple of practice jerseys I had. I was clearly not selling them, but the only responses I got were "how much" and "are you selling".

It seems like a pretty toxic and greedy environment. It feels like people are more concerned with adding more jerseys to their own collection than the hobby itself.

11 hours ago, gwarjis said:

They also come across as very sarcastic/douchbaggish/dickish and greedy. I only ever posted on one of the groups because I had a question about a couple of practice jerseys I had. I was clearly not selling them, but the only responses I got were "how much" and "are you selling".

It seems like a pretty toxic and greedy environment. It feels like people are more concerned with adding more jerseys to their own collection than the hobby itself.

Collecting jerseys is more of an addiction to a lot of people in those groups than a hobby.  I guess you just gotta take it for what it is and you will never stop those guys who always ask if you are selling.

Posting in the team specific groups tends to eliminate a chunk of that sort of thing from happening, but you never will completely avoid it.

Guest Dr_Puck
1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

Posting in the team specific groups tends to eliminate a chunk of that sort of thing from happening, but you never will completely avoid it.

Good point. Most of the team groups are tightly knit and there are fewer clowns. My problem with the team groups is that the mods allow just about anything with a team logo. I was in the Predators group last year for a week because I was trying to track down a rookie camp gamer and was overwhelmed by the number of programs, autographed pucks, and sticks. Finally had to leave the Sabres group too ... just too much gear. 

2 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

Good point. Most of the team groups are tightly knit and there are fewer clowns. My problem with the team groups is that the mods allow just about anything with a team logo. I was in the Predators group last year for a week because I was trying to track down a rookie camp gamer and was overwhelmed by the number of programs, autographed pucks, and sticks. Finally had to leave the Sabres group too ... just too much gear. 

Yeah I see that too in some of those groups.  Like I said in an earlier post these groups are only as good as the moderation.  Some mods allow that other memorabilia while others want strictly game worn/game used.

That also brings up a big issue with the large group.  I wish it wouldn't be game worn everything.  I think the minors and juniors stuff should be left to those groups while the foreign leagues to another group.  It would help a lot with trying to find what you are looking for as well as market what you are trying to sell as now you have your target audience's eyesballs in the right place.

There's always someone posting a want ad that reads something like: "Looking for (enter team here) jerseys, helmets, etc."

You reply (along with others) offering them multiple items and they turn down each one. You try another approach and ask them what they are looking for instead. They reply back "I'm not looking for anyone specific. Just looking to grab someone that might catch my eye". I never understand why people can not be more specific, or at least something resembling specific, in the first place. How can you not have an idea what you want or like to help the seller help you? 

52 minutes ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

There's always someone posting a want ad that reads something like: "Looking for (enter team here) jerseys, helmets, etc."

You reply (along with others) offering them multiple items and they turn down each one. You try another approach and ask them what they are looking for instead. They reply back "I'm not looking for anyone specific. Just looking to grab someone that might catch my eye". I never understand why people can not be more specific, or at least something resembling specific, in the first place. How can you not have an idea what you want or like to help the seller help you? 

Because a reply could be 50 players long,and depending on year/color/patch/etc, one may impulsively purchase a jersey that wasn't on said list.

I had someone ask me the same question from the team I collect when I asked what they had for sale. If they only provided photos of the 1 jersey that had from the 6 players that I asked about, I would not have bought 10 jerseys from them in that transaction.

Literally got this 5 minutes ago.

I post an item for sale without a price (purposefully) and asking people to PM me for price.

Guy PM's me : "hey is your price negotiable?"

Me: "wut?"

1 hour ago, cjerina said:

Because a reply could be 50 players long,and depending on year/color/patch/etc, one may impulsively purchase a jersey that wasn't on said list.

I had someone ask me the same question from the team I collect when I asked what they had for sale. If they only provided photos of the 1 jersey that had from the 6 players that I asked about, I would not have bought 10 jerseys from them in that transaction.

I get that for sure. If i took the generic route and said i am "looking for Devils game worn stuff" and say no to 10 replies/offers and the 11th reply/offer happens to be a jersey that maybe i wouldn't have thought to ask for or expect to find if i was otherwise specific, then great for me and the seller. I lucked out and found something i wanted and the seller moved a jersey. But, most of the time, it doesn't end that way for a seller. It turns into a frustrating waste of time. It seems to happen in game worn collecting way more then in any other hobby related buy/sell groups that i am a part of. 

Edited by OneJerseyMemorabilia

1 hour ago, cjerina said:

19 minutes ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

I get that for sure. If i took the generic route and said i am "looking for Devils game worn stuff" and say no to 10 replies/offers and the 11th reply/offer happens to be a jersey that i wouldn't have thought to ask for if i was otherwise specific, then great for me and the seller. I lucked out and found something i wanted and the seller moved a jersey. But, most of the time, it doesn't end that way for a seller. It turns into a frustrating waste of time. It seems to happen with perspective buyers in game worn collecting way more then in any other hobby related buy/sell groups that i am a pert of. 

I have to agree with cjerina here. Often times I've been looking for *something* but didn't quite know what it was, and I have thrown a feeler out like that. It doesn't mean I am going to buy EVERYTHING. 

And I would add, this is a Facebook phenomenon that I have only recently become aware of, sellers who have lists of things to sell that they don't publicize and only pass out to certain people. I don't get it. You should be making your list of stuff you want to sell available to as many people as you can. That's just common sense.

Sure, some people will ask you questions and never buy from you, but that's the price of doing business as far as I am concerned. 

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

And I would add, this is a Facebook phenomenon that I have only recently become aware of, sellers who have lists of things to sell that they don't publicize and only pass out to certain people. I don't get it. You should be making your list of stuff you want to sell available to as many people as you can. That's just common sense.

It's honestly much easier to offer to certain collectors privately if you know who will be a serious buyer or negotiate with you fairly. Especially if you know those who have specific wants and needs or those that ask you in advance if you ever move a jersey to let them know. Bonus to people you have had smooth transactions with prior. This isn't a foolproof, exact science way of selling, but it's a start.

Posting a public list is risk/reward. You can either can sell relatively easy with little to no aggravation or go through the typical facebook process which can often lead to lots of aggravation.

Edited by OneJerseyMemorabilia

2 hours ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

It's honestly much easier to offer to certain collectors privately if you know who will be a serious buyer or negotiate with you fairly. Especially if you know those who have specific wants and needs or those that ask you in advance if you ever move a jersey to let them know. Bonus to people you have had smooth transactions with prior. This isn't a foolproof, exact science way of selling, but it's a start.

Posting a public list is risk/reward. You can either can sell relatively easy with little to no aggravation or go through the typical facebook process which can often lead to lots of aggravation.

I'm agreeing with this logic too, at lot of my higher end ($500-1k) stuff, I rather message people I know and offer it rather than deal with the above. Likewise, being a no-nonsense person also means that some people will do the same to you because they know you'll give a black & white answer... they may not get a sale, but they know that they aren't going to deal with the "man, I would but my car broke and I gotta ask my wife, but I won't respond again after this" nutjobs.

Edited by cjerina

Whatever floats your boat, I guess. But to me, having to answer a guys questions, knowing that he’s not going to buy, isn’t really that difficult or annoying. I think pretty highly of my time, probably more so than most people, but I still tolerate stuff like that. There have been times where I’ve even engaged and it intentionally, just for fun. Just to see if the tire kicker will finally stop kicking the tires. Hint, he did not LOL.

In any event, having to deal with stuff like that isn’t enough to cut off an entire potential customer base. That’s just stupid business.

Not to say that if I know someone might be interested in what I have, I don’t message them first. That makes total sense. But if they say no, and I still want to sell, of course I’m going to listed publicly and deal with what happens.

People always blame their wife. Either they are lying, or their wife sucks. 

4 hours ago, redwingsdownunder said:

Who tells their wife they're buying more jerseys though? It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Rookies. 

13 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

People always blame their wife. Either they are lying, or their wife sucks. 

Locally, I know of at least 2 people "hiding" the scale of their collections. One won't let me deliver a jersey to them if their wife is going with to the game, and the other made their jersey album on FB private so the wife wouldn't see it. (Appropriate reference at the 20s mark)

Mine, thankfully, comes with me to equipment sales and helps me grab stuff. She's a keeper!

Does your wife have a sister? 

And people who don't like a good Simpsons reference probably have an awesome jersey collection from China :D

Good stuff 

6 hours ago, cjerina said:

Locally, I know of at least 2 people "hiding" the scale of their collections.

That is really sad and hilarious at the same time :D

I like seeing these guys who don’t have their own Facebook accounts, so they use their wives accounts and try to buy jerseys.

1. How long until he finally realizes he won’t be able to buy anything until he gets his own account?

2. How long until his wife thinks he started the account just so he can have an affair behind her back?

3. How pathetic for her to think he is cheating when she realizes he actually started his own account just so he can buy some lame-Arse shirts instead of actually cheating on her?

Edited by thebiggoalie